NGD: 1988 Artist Award

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just the one quick and dirty pic:

5D3_2939_1600.jpg

This is one of the most amazing instruments I've ever played. I owned a couple of X500s and felt like they were going to be too much guitar for me, but I don't get that feeling with this guitar at all. I'm not entirely sure why yet, either.

I read in one of the catalogs that the back is made from wood usually reserved for making cellos. It sure is beautiful, but I think that kind of explains why it feels so different. When I was in high school I played in orchestra and band and was generally surrounded by music. I lived in a nice area and so some of the kids had some pretty killer instruments. I think that this guitar reminds me of a really well-made cello. It's somehow on another level than the normal stuff I play, and that goes for those X500s, too. They're not even in the same ballpark.

The guitar came with flat-wounds and I generally dislike flat-wounds. But the guitar sounds SO good that I can't imagine changing anything. It's refined and elegant.

The nicest acoustic I have is the DV72, and that's a pretty killer guitar, but compared to this it's just a guitar. This is an orchestral instrument.

I'm smitten.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
>I owned a couple of X500s and felt like they were going to be too much guitar for me, but I don't get that feeling with this guitar at all.<
I also have owned some high end archtops, vintage Epi, Gretsch Chet, but when I got my AA it was a totally different feeling. It just felt like it was waiting for me to play it, especially for swing stuff. Of course, it could just be me,

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Oh, that is a tease! Beautiful!

Looking froward to more tasty photos!

walrus

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats, Gary! Great guitars can really elevate you; you’re not fighting them and they seem to make everything easier.

Thats always been the paradox in music education. Student instruments are so bad, that they impede a young player. Yet, unless they’re extremely lucky (or rich), they don’t get the chance to play on something that will make want to play more and get better.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thats always been the paradox in music education. Student instruments are so bad, that they impede a young player. Yet, unless they’re extremely lucky (or rich), they don’t get the chance to play on something that will make want to play more and get better.

The flip side of that is that after learning the basics on a "crappy" instrument (whatever it is), you will feel like you have wings and you can fly once/if you acquire one of a better quality.
(Of course there's 'crappy" and "crappy", if the thing is flat out unplayable then I see your point)

Congrats Gary, I'm sure that guitar must feel awesome in addition to being gorgeous.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stunning, GAD. Fabulous wood and extraordinarily beautiful sunburst!

But, yes, while fiddleback maple is commonly used for classical instruments, you see it all the time on guitars as well. I think the great care and attention that the Westerly folks gave to the build of this instrument is responsible for it's outstanding sound. More than the uniqueness of the maple used in its construction. I could be wrong, though. No matter what, that looks like a treasure, man!

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I know how you feel, Gary. My experience is the same. Although I must say my '47 Epiphone Broadway, also with the DeArmond 1000 gives my '66 AA a run for its money. The back of my AA is equally beautiful. The guitar is so well balanced, acoustically, electrically and weight wise.
RC

P.S. When I return from India on the 15th Feb, I'll post pics of my new acquisitions.

Last edited:

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was drooling over the pictures of it on Reverb. It’s gorgeous. Just looking at it makes you feel it delivers a warm, rich sound. Congratulations!

X-170AB

Reaction score
Congratulations, Gary! Welcome to the world of the acoustic archtop. Some say they are the kings of the guitar world, and with reason. I look forward to the grand unveiling!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Lovely! I find a good archtop brings out the melodic side of my playing. Flatwounds tend to do the same…must have something to do with their warm tone and ease of play.

-Dave-

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I’m having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that your AA is in a different league from the X-500.
My (your old) 500 just about plays itself, I just try and keep up.
I’m eagerly awaiting more of your great photos and the accompanying write up. Congratulations on a stunning guitar!