NGD: 1988 Artist Award

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I’m having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that your AA is in a different league from the X-500.
My (your old) 500 just about plays itself, I just try and keep up.
I’m eagerly awaiting more of your great photos and the accompanying write up. Congratulations on a stunning guitar!

The best way I could describe the difference is that the X500 is a great guitar. The AA is a stellar guitar.

What now blows me away is that I've read from multiple people now something to the effect of this being among the least favorable era for AAs.

The X500 made me lust for an X700. This AA makes me wonder how a Benedetto could possibly be any better.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
So beautiful! Congratulations, Gary. I'm excited to see your review of it.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats GAD! She sure is a looker and I can honestly say that AA's are some of the finest instruments in the world. Look forward to your review and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come my friend!

TX

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Gary, were you able to keep all your bodily functions operational while it was being shipped?..... unless you picked it up?
I would have had restless nights, and busy days in the bathroom. :laughing:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That is way too much information, Bluesy! :) :)
No no no no no.......... we are all here to SHARE our feelings about Guild guitars.
And Tesla.
And colors of the 50's / 60's.
And the purpose of corn syrup in beer.
And... oh never mind.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gary, were you able to keep all your bodily functions operational while it was being shipped?..... unless you picked it up?
I would have had restless nights, and busy days in the bathroom. :laughing:

I have been writing for 8-10 hours a day so I was nicely distracted, which is a good thing because it was driven through the polar vortex where it was arctic levels of cold in the midwest then arrived here the day that broke and it was in the 50s.

Not so much as a lacquer check on the guitar.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
No no no no no.......... we are all here to SHARE our feelings about Guild guitars.
And Tesla.
And colors of the 50's / 60's.
And the purpose of corn syrup in beer.
And... oh never mind.

And string choices!

walrus

F312

Reaction score
I have been writing for 8-10 hours a day so I was nicely distracted, which is a good thing because it was driven through the polar vortex where it was arctic levels of cold in the midwest then arrived here the day that broke and it was in the 50s.

Not so much as a lacquer check on the guitar.

Please don't make a practice of this in practice.

Ralph

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tonight I pulled the strings off and did my new guitar regimen on it. I ordered a couple sets of Thomastik-Infeld .011s - both in flat-wound (what was on there) and in Round Wound. It's an expensive experiment, but I've never liked flat-wounds and decided to see if I'd like the AA even more with round-wounds.

I did not.

I was kind of surprised that the guitar almost completely lost its magic. I strung it back up with flat-wounds and bam - The AA was back and better than ever.

This really fascinates me.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Some guitars are just particular about the strings they like. With roundwounds my old Tele all but explodes when I hit the low E…really unbalanced. But with a set of flats the string-to-string level is much more even. I've got flatwounds on nearly all my archtops, even the pickup-less Gibson L-50. (Mount a Charlie Christian and voilà!, it's an ES-150.)

-Dave-

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well I think I've figured out why people dislike the pickup on this era AA because the string-to-string balance is terrible and there's no way to adjust it.