2000 D55 Neck Profile

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
A friend I have bought two of my Guilds from is trying to find out the neck profile of his February 3, 2000 D55. I remember liking the neck profile when I played it. Were the neck profiles all the same on the D55s from Westerly or did they change? Modified V, V, C, or modified C or what? Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
A friend I have bought two of my Guilds from is trying to find out the neck profile of his February 3, 2000 D55. I remember liking the neck profile when I played it. Were the neck profiles all the same on the D55s from Westerly or did they change? Modified V, V, C, or modified C or what? Thanks for your input.
It's important to remember that even though there were target templates, in Westerly every neck was given final shaping by hand, resulting in slight variations from piece to piece.
That said, I seem to recall a majority of reports of "thin" necks from that period and my '96 D25 has what I used to consider to be a "modern flat oval" but now think is better described as the "oval C" in Fender speak, and my '01 F65ce has what I'd consider the same profile albeit based on a 1-5/8 nut width, making it feel even thinner.
Historically, much like the "build styles" changing over the years, reports on neck profiles follow a similar pattern from "thin" in Hoboken to early Westerly to "chunky" in mid '70's- mid '80's, and seemed to go back to "thin" in late '80's.
I'm assuming D55's followed the same trend, but have never heard of a "V" shape of any kind on a Guild before new Hartford, always somewhere between a "C" ("thin") and a "U" ("chunky")
The first I ever heard of such things was this diagram published in the 2001 Fender Frontline catalog:
guitar-neck-contours.jpg

Even better is this explanation of what the Fender neck profiles really meant, and I'd actually put my 2 late Westerlys firmly in the #3 profile:
http://www.fretboard.com/fenderneckclarity.html
Sure those're specifically about electrics but they're good tools for choosing common definition of terms.