What, no Super Bowl talk?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
my son cannot wait, he is 9, that is his thing. i never was into it but will turn it on. a sunday right?
I was never really into the oval track thing either, but I can tell you yep, all the big races are always on Sundays.
Not sure what's up with that.
:glee:
I can tell you that as I got more and more into cars I started actually liking watching footage from historic old NASCAR races, up to about the early '70's when the cars were actually factory-built cars (although teams were already starting to do their own modifications to 'em) and not just template bodies on purpose built chassis and motors from specialty shops.
If he loves NASCAR enough to be interested in its history, you might enjoy sharing this article with him:
https://www.streetmusclemag.com/features/interviews/when-stock-cars-ruled-nascar-and-why-they-left/
Flag drops 2:30PM ET, airing on Fox.
:friendly_wink:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yup! Football, baseball, basketball, tennis, boxing, and wrestling are just way to slow to hold my attention. The only sports I've ever had the patience to watch are horse racing, jai alai, ping pong, and roller derby.
Big curling fan hmmm Charlie? :abnormal:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

Especially with fiendish thingies:
Beatles-curling_3421138a.jpg

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was never really into the oval track thing either, but I can tell you yep, all the big races are always on Sundays.
Not sure what's up with that.
I can tell you that as I got more and more into cars I started actually liking watching footage from historic old NASCAR races, up to about the early '70's when the cars were actually factory-built cars (although teams were already starting to do their own modifications to 'em) and not just template bodies on purpose built chassis and motors from specialty shops.
If he loves NASCAR enough to be interested in its history, you might enjoy sharing this article with him:
https://www.streetmusclemag.com/features/interviews/when-stock-cars-ruled-nascar-and-why-they-left/
Flag drops 2:30PM ET, airing on Fox.
:friendly_wink:

thanks Al! 1230 mst, perfect! will have him read article too.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
You know, my stepdaughter curls, but I've never seen a game. There's a curling rink about an hour from here, too. Maybe some day . . . .

She used to play rugby, and I'll admit that that was more entertaining than football, anyway. Still kind of slow, but a step in the right direction.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
my son cannot wait, he is 9, that is his thing. i never was into it but will turn it on. a sunday right?

Sunday, Feb. 17th 2:30pm on FOX

EDIT: Oops! Responded before reading the whole thread!

P.S. And just for the record, there are a number of NASCAR Monster Energy Cup races on Saturday nights!

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Sunday, Feb. 17th 2:30pm on FOX

EDIT: Oops! Responded before reading the whole thread!

P.S. And just for the record, there are a number of NASCAR Monster Energy Cup races on Saturday nights!

I didn't want to have to go there, but Formula 1 races are ALWAYS on Sundays.
It's just that some of the host countries celebrate their Sundays on the US's Saturdays.
And the crashes are just as exciting as anything in NASCAR:
(Caution, Clay: Parental discretion advised)
25bb43eef704d1151c7c19b4dde7e6fb.jpg

f1-australian-gp-2016-fernando-alonso-mclaren-mp4-31-in-a-huge-crash.jpg

f1-australian-gp-2016-fernando-alonso-mclaren-mp4-31-exits-his-car-after-a-huge-crash.jpg

1459439166652.jpg

742b3ccd24_alonso-gutierrez-crash-australia-16.jpg

281924.jpg

OK, to be fair, safety-wise, F1 didn't start using HALO devices until after they saved a couple of lives in NASCAR.
:tranquillity:

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
OK, to be fair, safety-wise, F1 didn't start using HALO devices until after they saved a couple of lives in NASCAR.
:tranquillity:

The Mercedes crash of 1955 in Le Mans was a big turning point and triggered an international reaction pertaining to the need of increasing safety on the race tracks. (In Europe anyway)
Back then, it wasn't a matter of "let's hope nobody gets killed this weekend", but more like "who is gonna get killed".... we've come a long way indeed.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The Mercedes crash of 1955 in Le Mans was a big turning point and triggered an international reaction pertaining to the need of increasing safety on the race tracks. (In Europe anyway)
Back then, it wasn't a matter of "let's hope nobody gets killed this weekend", but more like "who is gonna get killed".... we've come a long way indeed.

Ford and GM (not sure about Chrysler) pulled out of "official" factory-sponsored racing in the late '50's over public perception of their responsibility (or lack thereof) in safety issues.
Football players got polymer helmets and face guards by '55.

Just sayin'.
:smile:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I can't remember if Bobby Orr ever wore one. I tend to think not...

Andy Brown was a goaltender - no mask is outrageous! Orr was a defenseman - no masks. I'm guessing you are thinking "helmet" vs. mask...

Craig McTavish was the last NHL player to not wear a helmet. At the end of his career he had special "contract" with the NHL waiving them of liability for a head injury.

walrus