Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What, no Super Bowl talk?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuska View Post
    Hello

And still it is called "Football" ???
    Of course "Footovoid" would sound a bit strange - wouldn't it.
    ... guess that's all they could come up with since "handball" was already taken.
    That said, they could have used the Rugby method, and stamp the name of the place where that thing was created, on the game itself.
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    In this world there are always those who march to the sound of a different drummer. These wayward marchers go off and break boundaries. Blistering leads on an acoustic. Purple spandex, and proud of it. Gibsons on a Guild forum. But the world is a better place for their pioneering efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesypicky View Post
    Oh.. and I also heard the corn lobby was upset over a Budweiser commercial advertising for a corn syrup free beer..... the nerve trying to introduce a beverage that does not contribute one iota to the well being of the diabetes epidemic!
    In beer it's used as a fermentable sugar and thus DOES contribute to alcohol content, but the negative side is it reduces the amount of ethanol available to pollute, er, dilute, gasoline.

Hey I'm tryin' real hard to keep a straight face here so don't tip my balance, ok?

Dang.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

https://www.foodandwine.com/beer/cor...ght-commercial
    "
    "And yet, brewing ferments sugars into alcohol anyway — meaning most light beers end up with little-to-no sugar regardless of what kind of fermentables you put in them. So to imply that corn syrup is somehow worse for you by tacitly tying it into the criticism around high fructose corn syrup as an unhealthy sweetener is entirely misleading."

Quote Originally Posted by FNG View Post
    "
    "And yet, brewing ferments sugars into alcohol anyway — meaning most light beers end up with little-to-no sugar regardless of what kind of fermentables you put in them. So to imply that corn syrup is somehow worse for you by tacitly tying it into the criticism around high fructose corn syrup as an unhealthy sweetener is entirely misleading."
    Yep, been loving my 6% corn beer ever since King Cobra ushered in the era of the blunt and a 40 back in the day:

Note there's only 2 grains listed on that label, in an era when all others listed "Select grains" because they didn't wanna cop to using rice.
    Except for Sapporo.
    Sad to say, since then even Cobra has gone to the "selected grains" label; enabling the use of rye and even sorghum.
    Whatever's locally cheap today.
    Last edited by adorshki; 02-05-2019 at 12:46 AM.
    Al
    All bought new!

Tucson, but wish it was Idaho or even Poland
    "
    Marketing 101. :)

Not a question of economics, richardp, a question of priorities. But you're right, I wouldn't turn down the money.
    "Heat lightning burnt the sky like alcohol." John Prine

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Parade tomorrow, 60 degrees on February 5th. My college is 30 minutes away from the action. I'm predicting a low turnout in my classes...

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2011 Guild F-30RCE
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

Blog Entries
    "
    "And yet, brewing ferments sugars into alcohol anyway meaning most light beers end up with little-to-no sugar regardless of what kind of fermentables you put in them. So to imply that corn syrup is somehow worse for you by tacitly tying it into the criticism around high fructose corn syrup as an unhealthy sweetener is entirely misleading."

A different perspective...

For years craft beer brewers have used ingredients as a way to distinguish between their product and mass produced beers. Their audience is aware of the Reinheitsgebot and it is often viewed as a higher standard, even if the purity laws are are not observed by all brewers all the time. Corn is not an "allowed" ingredient.

Coca Cola has been under fire for using high fructose corn syrup, instead of sugar, in its U.S. products. Mexican Coca Cola (as distinct from Mexican coke) commands a premium when it is available in the U.S. because it uses sugar.

In that context this ad taps into a general perception that, in some cases, corn syrup is "bad" in beverages. It also taps into the craft beer focus on ingredients. It distinguishes Budweiser from its competitors for the consumers who care about these things and one can imagine Budweiser declaring success if a someone who would normally order a craft beer finds none available and orders a Bud (instead of a competitor or just switches to water). Given that all the megabrewers are losing sales to craft beers this could be one way to stem that tide.

Big corn certainly has something to react to but in the context of Bud vs. craft beers, it seems that corn is not the target, just collateral damage, in a marketing war that has been going on for several years.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

"Corn syrup and beer" is certainly one of our more scientific veers...

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2011 Guild F-30RCE
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    Big corn certainly has something to react to but in the context of Bud vs. craft beers, it seems that corn is not the target, just collateral damage, in a marketing war that has been going on for several years.
    I notice they still want to avoid explicit use of the "R" word:

https://investorplace.com/2014/06/bu...ed-first-time/
    "On Thursday, Anheuser-Busch posted the ingredient list for Budweiser and Bud Light on its website. Budweiser and Bud Light beer is made from water, barley malt, rice, yeast and hops, according to www.tapintoyourbeer.com, which is run by Anheuser-Busch, TIME notes."

In the Art of War , Sun Tzu would have called this a diversionary tactic.
    Last edited by adorshki; 02-04-2019 at 11:45 PM.
    Al
    All bought new!