What, no Super Bowl talk?

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello

And still it is called "Football" ???
Of course "Footovoid" would sound a bit strange - wouldn't it.

... guess that's all they could come up with since "handball" was already taken.
That said, they could have used the Rugby method, and stamp the name of the place where that thing was created, on the game itself.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Oh.. and I also heard the corn lobby was upset over a Budweiser commercial advertising for a corn syrup free beer..... the nerve trying to introduce a beverage that does not contribute one iota to the well being of the diabetes epidemic!
In beer it's used as a fermentable sugar and thus DOES contribute to alcohol content, but the negative side is it reduces the amount of ethanol available to pollute, er, dilute, gasoline.

Hey I'm tryin' real hard to keep a straight face here so don't tip my balance, ok?
:glee:
Dang.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
https://www.foodandwine.com/beer/corn-syrup-beer-bud-light-commercial
"
"And yet, brewing ferments sugars into alcohol anyway — meaning most light beers end up with little-to-no sugar regardless of what kind of fermentables you put in them. So to imply that corn syrup is somehow worse for you by tacitly tying it into the criticism around high fructose corn syrup as an unhealthy sweetener is entirely misleading."

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
"
"And yet, brewing ferments sugars into alcohol anyway — meaning most light beers end up with little-to-no sugar regardless of what kind of fermentables you put in them. So to imply that corn syrup is somehow worse for you by tacitly tying it into the criticism around high fructose corn syrup as an unhealthy sweetener is entirely misleading."

Yep, been loving my 6% corn beer ever since King Cobra ushered in the era of the blunt and a 40 back in the day:
kingcobra19.jpg

Note there's only 2 grains listed on that label, in an era when all others listed "Select grains" because they didn't wanna cop to using rice.
Except for Sapporo.
Sad to say, since then even Cobra has gone to the "selected grains" label; enabling the use of rye and even sorghum.
Whatever's locally cheap today.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not a question of economics, richardp, a question of priorities. But you're right, I wouldn't turn down the money.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Parade tomorrow, 60 degrees on February 5th. My college is 30 minutes away from the action. I'm predicting a low turnout in my classes...

walrus

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
"

A different perspective...

For years craft beer brewers have used ingredients as a way to distinguish between their product and mass produced beers. Their audience is aware of the Reinheitsgebot and it is often viewed as a higher standard, even if the purity laws are are not observed by all brewers all the time. Corn is not an "allowed" ingredient.

Coca Cola has been under fire for using high fructose corn syrup, instead of sugar, in its U.S. products. Mexican Coca Cola (as distinct from Mexican coke) commands a premium when it is available in the U.S. because it uses sugar.

In that context this ad taps into a general perception that, in some cases, corn syrup is "bad" in beverages. It also taps into the craft beer focus on ingredients. It distinguishes Budweiser from its competitors for the consumers who care about these things and one can imagine Budweiser declaring success if a someone who would normally order a craft beer finds none available and orders a Bud (instead of a competitor or just switches to water). Given that all the megabrewers are losing sales to craft beers this could be one way to stem that tide.

Big corn certainly has something to react to but in the context of Bud vs. craft beers, it seems that corn is not the target, just collateral damage, in a marketing war that has been going on for several years.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
"Corn syrup and beer" is certainly one of our more scientific veers... :untroubled:

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Big corn certainly has something to react to but in the context of Bud vs. craft beers, it seems that corn is not the target, just collateral damage, in a marketing war that has been going on for several years.
I notice they still want to avoid explicit use of the "R" word:

https://investorplace.com/2014/06/budweiser-bud-light-ingredients-revealed-first-time/
"On Thursday, Anheuser-Busch posted the ingredient list for Budweiser and Bud Light on its website. Budweiser and Bud Light beer is made from water, barley malt, rice, yeast and hops, according to www.tapintoyourbeer.com, which is run by Anheuser-Busch, TIME notes."

In the Art of War , Sun Tzu would have called this a diversionary tactic.

Last edited:

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
I always laughed at the bars in Japan selling Budweiser as an "import" at a higher cost, when there were so many other choices that were "better" (IMHO). The marketing as "The King of Beers" is believed by many, but I am not one of them.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I always laughed at the bars in Japan selling Budweiser as an "import" at a higher cost, when there were so many other choices that were "better" (IMHO). The marketing as "The King of Beers" is believed by many, but I am not one of them.

To be clear, I got nuthin' against rice, especially in a Sapporo Black which I'll take over a Bud any day.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Try a beer with coffee in it. I was turned on to that recently. I find it very yummy.

My default beer when I sit down for a nice dinner (if I'm not drinking wine that is) is an IPA. Our local brewery in Worcester, MA has a really nice one.

All that said, since this thread is about the Super Bowl.... Frono will appreciate this (this is partially your doing, buddy!).... For the game, I drank almost an entire bottle of Aberlour (single malt scotch). Oh my, yesterday was a bit fuzzy.

:)

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Frono will appreciate this (this is partially your doing, buddy!).... For the game, I drank almost an entire bottle of Aberlour (single malt scotch). Oh my, yesterday was a bit fuzzy.

:)

Well done. I suppose you took a sip every time a play ended and one side had zero points? ;-)

tommym

Reaction score
Football? My neighborhood was dead quiet on Sunday. No cookouts, family get togethers, etc.. I have noticed a general decline in interest in American Football over the years, at least in my neck of the woods.

The younger generations seem to more and more interested in Soccer. I guess it is a more internationally understood game.

Me, I'll just stick to Baseball.

Tommy