Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Semantics

There is always the contract used "definitization"..... I have always thought of it as a distortion of the root word "define" but maybe it is a distortion as in "de-finite..."

I accept I am no master of lawyer speak or contract speak :) But I agree about the butchering of our language.
    I had an peer that was consistently using preventative (years ago and now it is an accepted distortion) so I asked them if they would like some constructative criticism on their destructative use of English.........It did not go well from there on.....

Quote Originally Posted by steve488 View Post
    There is always the contract used "definitization"..... I have always thought of it as a distortion of the root word "define" but maybe it is a distortion as in "de-finite..."

I accept I am no master of lawyer speak or contract speak :) But I agree about the butchering of our language.
    I had an peer that was consistently using preventative (years ago and now it is an accepted distortion) so I asked them if they would like some constructative criticism on their destructative use of English.........It did not go well from there on.....
    There it is!
    Was trying to remember that one this morning myself, because it IS yet another linquistic abortion that pops up on the newscasts regularly.
    (That was "abomination" before autocorrupt got a-hold of it.)
    (And when I was a kid news anchors could be trusted to be models of correct usage)
    I trace that one back to the Crest commercials of the '60's when "dentrifice" gave everybody a mind-hiccup, as it immediately followed the correct use of "preventive":

And has anybody heard "prophylastic" yet?

Don't worry, it's coming to a medium near you soon.
    Or is that "Coming soon to a medium near you?"
    Last edited by adorshki; 02-04-2019 at 09:16 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Yep.
    "Try and..." is another annoying destructative distortion that made its way in everyday talk.
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    In this world there are always those who march to the sound of a different drummer. These wayward marchers go off and break boundaries. Blistering leads on an acoustic. Purple spandex, and proud of it. Gibsons on a Guild forum. But the world is a better place for their pioneering efforts.

I think when you're talking about "occupational" language, if you will, that's fine. E.g., there are many words in the legal profession that were probably introduced originally to refer to something very specific. Ultimately, these words just obfuscate the documents in which you find them. This is not confined to law. My profession, software design, has its share of strange words. I remember railing on about "functionality" back in the day, but that word has become generally accepted. I also used to hate it when folks used "transition" as a verb. Mind you, that's essentially *all the time* in computer speak. Anyway, that too has become accepted.

My dad used to hate "deplane" (as in "get off the airplane"). Is that word generally accepted? I don't know, but the airlines continue to use it.

As for revisionist history... Indeed, Orwell really had a bead on that subject.
    Guilds:
    1967 MK-VI Artist Special (Hoboken - Jacobs restoration 2018) - "The Mark"
    12ers:
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Other 12ers:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655

Quote Originally Posted by chazmo View Post
    I think when you're talking about "occupational" language, if you will, that's fine. E.g., there are many words in the legal profession that were probably introduced originally to refer to something very specific. Ultimately, these words just obfuscate the documents in which you find them. This is not confined to law. My profession, software design, has its share of strange words. I remember railing on about "functionality" back in the day, but that word has become generally accepted. I also used to hate it when folks used "transition" as a verb. Mind you, that's essentially *all the time* in computer speak. Anyway, that too has become accepted.

My dad used to hate "deplane" (as in "get off the airplane"). Is that word generally accepted? I don't know, but the airlines continue to use it.

As for revisionist history... Indeed, Orwell really had a bead on that subject.
    Reminds me of an old George Carlin thing... Get ON the plane? I'd rather get IN the plane!
    Dave

1989 D25 - 1990 D30 - 2000 Blues 90 - 2003 S7CE - 2011 D-50 Std - 2013 DD6RCE
    '96 Taylor 555 - '10 Jacobs Jagcaster - '13 Martin 000-28EC - 13 G&L Tribute JB2 - '16 Gibson ES-335 - '17 Jacobs Strat
    Dr. Z Cure - Fender Super Champ - Fishman Loudbox Mini - SWR 2X10C

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1018446

Quote Originally Posted by chazmo View Post
    Ultimately, these words just obfuscate the documents in which you find them.
    Is that the forum's auto-obscure for "f--k up" ?
    Al
    All bought new!

"Obfuscate" is a great word.

Here's what I hate: No one needs to commit things to ink any more. They just blast out digital verbiage willy-nilly, no concern about accuracy. If it's found to be inaccurate later, we'll just delete it and publish something new, and the old misleading piece is gone with the wind, like it never existed.

"Heat lightning burnt the sky like alcohol." John Prine

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnut View Post
    "Obfuscate" is a great word.

Here's what I hate: No one needs to commit things to ink any more. They just blast out digital verbiage willy-nilly, no concern about accuracy. If it's found to be inaccurate later, we'll just delete it and publish something new, and the old misleading piece is gone with the wind, like it never existed.

they are doing this with history books in public school too. erasing history. but if we don't learn it or know it existed in order not to offend people, we are doomed to repeat it.
    Wood

1971 D25--The Br
    1973 D35--Jalopy

https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/sets/not-metal

Then there's "gobbledygook," a term coined in the '60's:
    language that is meaningless or is made unintelligible by excessive use of abstruse technical terms; i.e., nonsense.
    "Heat lightning burnt the sky like alcohol." John Prine

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    they are doing this with history books in public school too. erasing history. but if we don't learn it or know it existed in order not to offend people, we are doomed to repeat it.
    I practice my offensive grammar daily.
    Those who don't repeat the past are doomed to forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnut View Post
    Then there's "gobbledygook," a term coined in the '60's:
    language that is meaningless or is made unintelligible by excessive use of abstruse technical terms; i.e., nonsense.
    You reminded me of another ironically appropriate term from the day, shades of Chaz's observation about programming as it applied to data analysis
    GIGO for "Garbage In Garbage Out"
    Last edited by adorshki; 02-04-2019 at 10:23 PM.
    Al
    All bought new!