Color of the Year

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It's teal. Now I said it.
It's on the official 1964 paperwork, and not negotiable.
And why do they call this tone of green (Pantone 17-5024) Teal "Blue" anyway?!!
Teal always reminds me the color of one of my favorite childhood drink : Milk and mint. A dose of mint concentrate syrup (which is GREEN), and the rest of the glass filled with milk.

And it's towed by a black Jeep G.C. Not crazy about black cars mind you, but it does widen the pallet of colors that can be towed without fear of a faux pas.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's teal. Now I said it.
It's on the official 1964 paperwork, and not negotiable.
Obviously one of those cases where 2 different makers used 2 different names for the exact same pigment, except the boat maker got it wrong.
They probably just didn't want folks to think they cheaped out by using an electric guitar color.
And why do they call this tone of green (Pantone 17-5024) Teal "Blue" anyway?!!

To distinguish it from Pantone 329C True Teal:
53a638ff7f7f8bcbc2dd69604b8371e3.jpg

Yeah I can't tell the difference either.

Teal always reminds me the color of one of my favorite childhood drink : Milk and mint. A dose of mint concentrate syrup (which is GREEN), and the rest of the glass filed with milk.
You sure it wasn't Absinthe?
absinthe-green.png

That could explain a lot.
Here in the US we were more accustomed to chocolate milk:
09c642983cab44dacf1ae3390aca7b92.jpg

Not to be confused with Baby Doody Brown:
009e4989329afb04f1bdcade89aef72d--pantone-cards-pantone-colours.jpg

Which was big on cars in the '70's:
1973-AMC-Hornet-hatchback-for-sale-front.jpg

And it's towed by a black Jeep G.C. Not crazy about black cars mind you, but it does widen the pallet of colors that can be towed without fear of a faux pas.
Well there's black:
e43eba059ce8011bc42ce8df665708c6--pantone-black.jpg

And then there's Pirate Black:
67ee84aef9d6064d0b01b9e7a3f257f5.jpg

I'm guessing the latter would have more cachet but suspect Jeep doesn't know what the word means.

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You get a major point on the absinthe bit.... and good thing it wasn't coffee time any more for me, or my shirt would be good for the washer.

As to the 70's brown color, I actually like it and it seems to be making a come back too: The other day I pulled the vette at a gas station right behind a brand spanking new Aston Martin in this tone of brown (with metal flakes in it), and I couldn't resist congratulating the owner on a gorgeous car. To which he (politely) responded "likewise", and "I'm not sure about that color though..." so I reassured him on this. It was plain hot.

Speaking of metal flake, there are some in the Jeep black, but you rarely see them. Gotta have the light under a certain angle for them to pop up.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Courtesy of Autoweek:
IMG_1250.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG

"How will you be able to spot the 30th Anniversary Miata on the street once they are delivered to buyers?

'An entirely new paint color, racing orange, was developed for the MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary," Mazda says. "The inspiration for this color was the yellow MX-5 Miata Club Racer shown at the 1989 Chicago Auto Show. Yellow is good match for sports cars, but rather than simply reusing this color, this new orange evokes sunrise and anticipation to celebrate the future of MX-5.'
"

Yep, the floodgates are opening....

As to the 70's brown color, I actually like it and it seems to be making a come back too: The other day I pulled the vette at a gas station right behind a brand spanking new Aston Martin in this tone of brown (with metal flakes in it), and I couldn't resist congratulating the owner on a gorgeous car. To which he (politely) responded "likewise", and "I'm not sure about that color though..." so I reassured him on this. It was plain hot.
Like this?
hqdefault.jpg

Normally I'd say I like brown for tweed jackets and wool slacks, not cars, but y'know, they'd go perfectly with that.
Toss in one of these and I'll buy it:
987acbe4ce7e04a8e1e5c5b5cbe9eaf8--tweed-men-donegal.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That was it!
And the sound on that thing..... sweet as a Guild.
BTW in my periodic reviews of the latest in men's fashion I found this:
s-l225.jpg

It's just not my color.
And by golly if you hadn't asked I never woulda believed it, but:
bollm791078_475904_lg.jpg

And I guess I could be talked into the Miata if they throw in one of these:
8a62d9fc-b7a2-40ab-9018-dfe8d0709b7c_1.5c95127676b2031fe30845bd60dc9f39.jpeg

Last edited: