Color of the Year

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I prefer the color scheme of the inlays on the DV-73.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Is that not barn red?

Ralph

Well, there is Rustic Red, Barn red, Rookwood red, Chinese red, Roycroft Cooper red, Crabby Apple, blah blah blah.

It's basically a barn red with brown undertones.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Color technology is amazing today. There's something to be said for the "wise old Turks" though too. My friend's Dad was a residential spray painter, and he had all the formulas in his head. I had him put the finish on the banjo I built from a Saga kit, he did a really nice job.

F312

Reaction score
Well, there is Rustic Red, Barn red, Rookwood red, Chinese red, Roycroft Cooper red, Crabby Apple, blah blah blah.

It's basically a barn red with brown undertones.

The reason I ask is, I just painted my shed this year and it looks identical in color and it was painted with Sherwin Williams.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The reason I ask is, I just painted my shed this year and it looks identical in color and it was painted with Sherwin Williams.

The rustic red and red barn colors are pretty similar. I think the rustic is just a tad darker.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

Got a new shed in the yard, the hardest part was finding the right colors. The HOA said I had to try and match the house, but my brick is multicolored, and this was what I went with. I wasn't having a brown shed, that's fer sure. Of course I went through 6 samples before I picked these colors. Sherwin Williams rocks, but my idea of hell is a fan of 500 paint colors and trying to pick the right color.

Sherwin Williams Rustic Red and Roycroft Brass. I wasn't aware of the story behind Roycroft, but they have a line of craftsman colors that I liked, and Roycroft has some interesting history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roycroft

Not a fan of the living coral. Bleh.

Nice shed! Sorry about the HOA though.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So far, the HOA folks seem pretty reasonable. Keeps the neighborhood from going to seed.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
So far, the HOA folks seem pretty reasonable. Keeps the neighborhood from going to seed.

My experience has been that good neighbors keep the neighborhood from going to seed. Lived in a HOA 'hood once, and I've never seen so many self-serving people with way too much time on their hands.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Haven't got that impression.
We have. Usually totally self-serving. And too busy worrying about YOUR business than theirs. It's fairly typical. One (of many) reasons why our old house sold so quickly for top dollar. Every realtor asked, "Do you have an HOA?" Nope. "It'll sell fast." And it's true.... you put your money and power into a group of people that don't necessarily have your best interests at heart..... there may be good ones, but I haven't seen one yet. My new one seems okay so far, but... wait till the **** starts flying.....

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Al, in 1957 the top of the line was a Fairlane 500 and our neighbors had a two tone convertible in white and that semi pinkish beige!! It was BEAUTIFUL. Then my folks got a 57 Ford Station wagon in blue and white, which was nice but they toned down the fins on the lower end fords and the wagons. The fins didn't have quite the rake or the point as the Fairlane 500!! I'm with Sandy, there are applications for this color (I think Chrysler combined it with a darker green or something?) and as long as it's not on my walls, I'm good. We still haven't painted the new townhouse. So we have bold red, peach, green, and a kind of magenta lilac, not to mention blue and yellow. I'm not sure what drugs these people were on when they decorated but..... I kinda wanna try some. But not when i'm picking out paint, though..... JEEZE!!!

My dad bought a Chrysler in 1957 thst was white (top) and pink with lots of chrome with white leather seats also a 2 door coupe

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
...I'm kinda likin' it myself.
Earlier joking aside, it's interesting you picked up on that, here's what they had to say about the color:
"The 2019 winner was chosen for its "animating and life-affirming" hue which "energizes and enlivens with a softer edge," according to the official site."
There's a similar "meaning" ascribed to each Color of the Year, like 2011:
"the press release declaring Honeysuckle the color of 2011 said "In times of stress, we need something to lift our spirits. Honeysuckle is a captivating, stimulating color that gets the adrenaline going – perfect to ward off the blues."[17]"
pantone-color-of-the-year-2011-honeysuckle-18-2120.jpg

Of course studies of the psychology of color have been around for a long time, but I consider most of it to be up there with aroma therapy, somebody (or group) projecting their own wants and needs (or agenda) onto a given shade or scent, with the basic premise invalidated by the use of, for example, synthetic scents that bear no chemical similarity to the genuine thing, in those effing candles.
Anybody remember the movement to paint holding cells pink because it was supposed to calm the prisoners?
Whatta crock:
http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1981/pdf/1981-v10n03-p174.pdf.
In fact by golly, "Hot Pink " seems to me to be is an awful lot like the "Honeysuckle" the Pantone Institute claims is a "stimulating color that gets the adrenaline going"
Yep, just the thing for calming down agitated prisoners in a crowded noisy holding cell....
People have their own individual reactions to colors and scents just like they do flavors, and some if not most of that is even learned.
I do think the type of dark green associated with trees does have a calming effect.
It's not too hard to imagine our primitive survival instincts probably associated the color with shelter and food, much like associating bright colors with ripe fruit.
And look at how stressful urban environments that are completely treeless are, while being composed primarily of infinite shades of gray to boot.
Did anybody know btw that color vision is a relatively late evolutionary development for mammals?:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141218210100.htm
Al, in 1957 the top of the line was a Fairlane 500 and our neighbors had a two tone convertible in white and that semi pinkish beige!! It was BEAUTIFUL.
By golly you're right. Got the model right but forgot that Fairlane "Crown Victorias" were '55-'56 only:
1956-ford-fairlane-crown-victoria-americanlisted_99936247.jpg

And here we have one in 2014's Color of the Year "Radiant Orchid".
zMzdEF48bF.jpg

Back in the '50's they didn't need no New Age mumbo jumbo to tell the buyer what the color was supposed to "mean", they knew there was gonna be different strokes for different folks and that's all there was to it.
Of course the poetic names were kinda nice and evoked desirable images, but still, you either panted with lust or gagged in disgust, and that's all that mattered.
It was the beginning of the understanding of the desirability of the "Extreme Reaction" syndrome:
Extreme reactions to color or styling are a good thing, because even if some folks are extremely repelled, they're balanced by the ones that are extremely attracted, who will pay more to get what they want.
And this might be old news to some of you but as Sandy said about painting a P-bass in Living Coral:
I've come across assertions that many if not all of Fender's colors from the '50's and 60's actually were Dupont (or sometimes other makers like Ditzler) car colors and sometimes even used the same name for the color as the car makers.
And should we point out that on a corporate level (like GM) the exact same paint may have 2 had different names between brands, like Hugger Orange on Camaros and Carousel Red on Firebirds?
Of course these days all that stuff's out the window when it comes to cars and the extremely limited range of colors the makers offer anymore.

I'm not sure what drugs these people were on when they decorated but..... I kinda wanna try some. But not when i'm picking out paint, though..... JEEZE!!!
Which leads us to a whole new category:
What color are your meds, and why?:
GUEST_0a7d2a5e-cf67-49f4-af8b-d9b257be9b4c

We have. Usually totally self-serving. And too busy worrying about YOUR business than theirs. It's fairly typical. One (of many) reasons why our old house sold so quickly for top dollar. Every realtor asked, "Do you have an HOA?" Nope. "WHAT COLOR IS IT?" Olive Drab. "It'll sell fast." And it's true.... you put your money and power into a group of people that don't necessarily have your best interests at heart..... there may be good ones, but I haven't seen one yet. My new one seems okay so far, but... wait till the **** starts flying.....
Every color on this house is a Pantone Color of The Year:

Kate-Ericson-and-Mel-Ziegler-Camouflaged-History-1991.jpg

How could they object?
Oh it's a 2-color rule when it comes to house exteriors?
"When Doody Flies":
dda1880f2bfdfc1840a6438297dc510e--crazy-houses-box-houses.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My dad bought a Chrysler in 1957 that was white (top) and pink with lots of chrome with white leather seats also a 2 door coupe
"The Mighty Chrysler":
Vintage-1957-Chrysler-Saratoga-Windsor-New-Yorker-Sales.jpg

Windsor?

4808070847_c8621e4fe6_b.jpg

Saratoga?

get-attachment.asp

New Yorker?

1957-new-yorker.jpg

Very Fender. Very fifties GM. Very Christo.

I like it!
And not just GM:

Series_III_Hardtop.jpg

1957_Lincoln_Premier_Hardtop_Coupe_Front_resize.jpg

(That's a Lincoln!)
And back then you could even get tasteful 2-tone interiors:
007.jpg

Of course it would have to complement the exterior:
ch1017-297031_2.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Here we go!... my new favorite 60's color......

jsf05i.jpg

:pride:

Yours?
But...but...thought you sold the truck?
(Or was it converted to a speaker cabinet, I forget)
What're you gonna tow it with?
Ah, here's one for sale:
0362274430001.jpg

Note that one also has the Purple Spandex accents option.

Unfortunately if you wanted that color on a Cadillac you had to take a Coupe De Ville or the Series 62:

-x260

To get it on the Eldo Biarritz you had to take a little metallic with it:
80d61e90c82b01fd_8d95d5cffa5063.jpg

But I could live with that.
Either way you could get this:
18094_18.jpg

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah... the "truckette" as it's known by 'round here, has been long sold (in bad need of a replacement motor, as it didn't particularly enjoy American roadways which brought her impending end of life ever so much closer). :miserable:
And why are you showing me blue cars?... I said "TEAL" was my new favorite 60's color. And yes it's mine. (Restored 1964 MFG Westerfield Deluxe runabout) :tongue-new:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And why are you showing me blue cars?... I said "TEAL" was my new favorite 60's color. And yes it's mine. (Restored 1964 MFG Westerfield Deluxe runabout) :tongue-new:
NO you didn't say or even write "Teal", besides which, that's not "Teal", that's "Daphne Blue" (also known as Pantone #921C, "Lagoon")
5cc8c52dae19c74012680d7c7f5c42fb--mint-pantone-pantone-colors.jpg
just like your old Custom Shop M70:

1218qiv.jpg

THIS is Teal:
44741e81ccd2de20eed60681021bd35e.png

Anyway the point is y'oughta at least make sure your tow vehicle doesn't clash with the boat.
That'd be, like, gauche.
Me?
Screw the pink Cadillacs, make mine blue or green.