Color of the Year

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
In light of an uptick in posts about finish colors recently, this one caught my attention, Pantone Color Institute's "Color of the Year":
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/03/cnn-...ing-coral/index.html?ob-underscored-smartfeed
"Living Coral":
coral.jpg

Look for it everywhere, and when you've had enough, you know who to blame.
Somehow this makes me think it's not gonna be such a hot year.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Qr4Fezkl.jpg
[/IMG]

Bad joke... :uncomfortableness:

walrus
Ohhhhh yeah....."Pantene".....I shoulda got that!

I meant I never heard of Barf Shampoo.

However in another one of those cases in which humor unintentionally reflects reality, I submit this anecdote from the usual source:
"In 2012, the color of the year, Tangerine Tango, was used to create a makeup line, in partnership with Sephora.[25] The product line, named Sephora + Pantone Universe collection, features Tangerine Tango–embellished false lashes; nail lacquers, cream, glitters, and high-pigment lip glosses.[26] "

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
never heard of it.
me either but i'm kinda likin' it myself.
You sir are a very strange man.
So I submit for your viewing pleasure some of the previous Colors of the Year (and Dreadnut I advise you to look away):

image2.jpg

Mimosa, 2009

ProductImage.aspx

Marsala, 2015

Pantone_Color_of_the_Year_2017_shop_Pantone_Plastic_Chips.jpg

Greenery, 2017

I've not been able to corroborate the urban myth that the Institute was founded by the creator of the notorious "Avocado Green" that was such a hit on home kitchen appliances in the '70's, but it seems a likely bet.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Al, in 1957 the top of the line was a Fairlane 500 and our neighbors had a two tone convertible in white and that semi pinkish beige!! It was BEAUTIFUL. Then my folks got a 57 Ford Station wagon in blue and white, which was nice but they toned down the fins on the lower end fords and the wagons. The fins didn't have quite the rake or the point as the Fairlane 500!! I'm with Sandy, there are applications for this color (I think Chrysler combined it with a darker green or something?) and as long as it's not on my walls, I'm good. We still haven't painted the new townhouse. So we have bold red, peach, green, and a kind of magenta lilac, not to mention blue and yellow. I'm not sure what drugs these people were on when they decorated but..... I kinda wanna try some. But not when i'm picking out paint, though..... JEEZE!!!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Al, in 1957 the top of the line was a Fairlane 500 and our neighbors had a two tone convertible in white and that semi pinkish beige!! It was BEAUTIFUL. Then my folks got a 57 Ford Station wagon in blue and white, which was nice but they toned down the fins on the lower end fords and the wagons. The fins didn't have quite the rake or the point as the Fairlane 500!! I'm with Sandy, there are applications for this color (I think Chrysler combined it with a darker green or something?) and as long as it's not on my walls, I'm good. We still haven't painted the new townhouse. So we have bold red, peach, green, and a kind of magenta lilac, not to mention blue and yellow. I'm not sure what drugs these people were on when they decorated but..... I kinda wanna try some. But not when i'm picking out paint, though..... JEEZE!!!

Tom, looking at those colors all day, maybe you don't need drugs!

walrus

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Got a new shed in the yard, the hardest part was finding the right colors. The HOA said I had to try and match the house, but my brick is multicolored, and this was what I went with. I wasn't having a brown shed, that's fer sure. Of course I went through 6 samples before I picked these colors. Sherwin Williams rocks, but my idea of hell is a fan of 500 paint colors and trying to pick the right color.

Sherwin Williams Rustic Red and Roycroft Brass. I wasn't aware of the story behind Roycroft, but they have a line of craftsman colors that I liked, and Roycroft has some interesting history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roycroft

Not a fan of the living coral. Bleh.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Truth be known, I'm not a big fan of the pink coral inlay on the DV-74 either.

F312

Reaction score

Got a new shed in the yard, the hardest part was finding the right colors. The HOA said I had to try and match the house, but my brick is multicolored, and this was what I went with. I wasn't having a brown shed, that's fer sure. Of course I went through 6 samples before I picked these colors. Sherwin Williams rocks, but my idea of hell is a fan of 500 paint colors and trying to pick the right color.

Sherwin Williams Rustic Red and Roycroft Brass. I wasn't aware of the story behind Roycroft, but they have a line of craftsman colors that I liked, and Roycroft has some interesting history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roycroft

Not a fan of the living coral. Bleh.

Is that not barn red?

Ralph