Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Color of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by FNG View Post
    Haven't got that impression.
    Good to hear. It's nice to know that there's some out there.
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '61 Mark VI, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '86 Pilot 602P, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602MF, '99 DeArmond Starfire Bass
    '10 F512NT, '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst), '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype, '13 Orpheum OM Mahogany, '13 GSR M85II Bass

Quote Originally Posted by FNG View Post
    Haven't got that impression.
    We have. Usually totally self-serving. And too busy worrying about YOUR business than theirs. It's fairly typical. One (of many) reasons why our old house sold so quickly for top dollar. Every realtor asked, "Do you have an HOA?" Nope. "It'll sell fast." And it's true.... you put your money and power into a group of people that don't necessarily have your best interests at heart..... there may be good ones, but I haven't seen one yet. My new one seems okay so far, but... wait till the **** starts flying.....
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016 (The BLUE one)
    Breedlove Myrtlewood Concerto E 07/12/17
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Quote Originally Posted by davismanLV View Post
    Al, in 1957 the top of the line was a Fairlane 500 and our neighbors had a two tone convertible in white and that semi pinkish beige!! It was BEAUTIFUL. Then my folks got a 57 Ford Station wagon in blue and white, which was nice but they toned down the fins on the lower end fords and the wagons. The fins didn't have quite the rake or the point as the Fairlane 500!! I'm with Sandy, there are applications for this color (I think Chrysler combined it with a darker green or something?) and as long as it's not on my walls, I'm good. We still haven't painted the new townhouse. So we have bold red, peach, green, and a kind of magenta lilac, not to mention blue and yellow. I'm not sure what drugs these people were on when they decorated but..... I kinda wanna try some. But not when i'm picking out paint, though..... JEEZE!!!
    My dad bought a Chrysler in 1957 thst was white (top) and pink with lots of chrome with white leather seats also a 2 door coupe
    Guiilds:
    Hoboken archtops:1963 A-500 B (recently installed DeArmond 1100), no slouch when it comes to be played acoustically; 1966 Artist Award SB, how sweet it is!

Epiphone Archtops:
    1934 Royal, walnut back/sides, my main acoustic guitar; 1947 Broadway/DeArmond 1000 (also a great acoustic player); 2004 Elitist Byrdland (short scale: 23.5")

Amp:
    Rivera Jazz Suprema 55 Ruby, the ultimate jazz amp!

Quote Originally Posted by richardp69 View Post
    ...I'm kinda likin' it myself.
    Earlier joking aside, it's interesting you picked up on that, here's what they had to say about the color:
    "The 2019 winner was chosen for its "animating and life-affirming" hue which "energizes and enlivens with a softer edge," according to the official site."
    There's a similar "meaning" ascribed to each Color of the Year, like 2011:
    "the press release declaring Honeysuckle the color of 2011 said "In times of stress, we need something to lift our spirits. Honeysuckle is a captivating, stimulating color that gets the adrenaline going – perfect to ward off the blues."[17]"

Of course studies of the psychology of color have been around for a long time, but I consider most of it to be up there with aroma therapy, somebody (or group) projecting their own wants and needs (or agenda) onto a given shade or scent, with the basic premise invalidated by the use of, for example, synthetic scents that bear no chemical similarity to the genuine thing, in those effing candles.
    Anybody remember the movement to paint holding cells pink because it was supposed to calm the prisoners?
    Whatta crock:
    http://orthomolecular.org/library/jo...10n03-p174.pdf.
    In fact by golly, "Hot Pink " seems to me to be is an awful lot like the "Honeysuckle" the Pantone Institute claims is a "stimulating color that gets the adrenaline going"
    Yep, just the thing for calming down agitated prisoners in a crowded noisy holding cell....
    People have their own individual reactions to colors and scents just like they do flavors, and some if not most of that is even learned.
    I do think the type of dark green associated with trees does have a calming effect.
    It's not too hard to imagine our primitive survival instincts probably associated the color with shelter and food, much like associating bright colors with ripe fruit.
    And look at how stressful urban environments that are completely treeless are, while being composed primarily of infinite shades of gray to boot.
    Did anybody know btw that color vision is a relatively late evolutionary development for mammals?:
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1218210100.htm
    Al, in 1957 the top of the line was a Fairlane 500 and our neighbors had a two tone convertible in white and that semi pinkish beige!! It was BEAUTIFUL.
    By golly you're right. Got the model right but forgot that Fairlane "Crown Victorias" were '55-'56 only:

And here we have one in 2014's Color of the Year "Radiant Orchid".

Back in the '50's they didn't need no New Age mumbo jumbo to tell the buyer what the color was supposed to "mean", they knew there was gonna be different strokes for different folks and that's all there was to it.
    Of course the poetic names were kinda nice and evoked desirable images, but still, you either panted with lust or gagged in disgust, and that's all that mattered.
    It was the beginning of the understanding of the desirability of the "Extreme Reaction" syndrome:
    Extreme reactions to color or styling are a good thing, because even if some folks are extremely repelled, they're balanced by the ones that are extremely attracted, who will pay more to get what they want.
    And this might be old news to some of you but as Sandy said about painting a P-bass in Living Coral:
    I've come across assertions that many if not all of Fender's colors from the '50's and 60's actually were Dupont (or sometimes other makers like Ditzler) car colors and sometimes even used the same name for the color as the car makers.
    And should we point out that on a corporate level (like GM) the exact same paint may have 2 had different names between brands, like Hugger Orange on Camaros and Carousel Red on Firebirds?
    Of course these days all that stuff's out the window when it comes to cars and the extremely limited range of colors the makers offer anymore.

I'm not sure what drugs these people were on when they decorated but..... I kinda wanna try some. But not when i'm picking out paint, though..... JEEZE!!!
    Which leads us to a whole new category:
    What color are your meds, and why?:

We have. Usually totally self-serving. And too busy worrying about YOUR business than theirs. It's fairly typical. One (of many) reasons why our old house sold so quickly for top dollar. Every realtor asked, "Do you have an HOA?" Nope. "WHAT COLOR IS IT?" Olive Drab. "It'll sell fast." And it's true.... you put your money and power into a group of people that don't necessarily have your best interests at heart..... there may be good ones, but I haven't seen one yet. My new one seems okay so far, but... wait till the **** starts flying.....
    Every color on this house is a Pantone Color of The Year:

How could they object?
    Oh it's a 2-color rule when it comes to house exteriors?
    "When Doody Flies":
    Last edited by adorshki; 02-06-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Very Fender. Very fifties GM. Very Christo.

I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Cohen View Post
    My dad bought a Chrysler in 1957 that was white (top) and pink with lots of chrome with white leather seats also a 2 door coupe
    "The Mighty Chrysler":

Windsor?

Saratoga?

New Yorker?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Very Fender. Very fifties GM. Very Christo.

I like it!
    And not just GM:

(That's a Lincoln!)
    And back then you could even get tasteful 2-tone interiors:

Of course it would have to complement the exterior:
    Last edited by adorshki; 02-06-2019 at 05:31 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post

And back then you could even get tasteful 2-tone interiors:
    Here we go!... my new favorite 60's color......

D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    In this world there are always those who march to the sound of a different drummer. These wayward marchers go off and break boundaries. Blistering leads on an acoustic. Purple spandex, and proud of it. Gibsons on a Guild forum. But the world is a better place for their pioneering efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesypicky View Post
    Here we go!... my new favorite 60's color......

Yours?
    But...but...thought you sold the truck?
    (Or was it converted to a speaker cabinet, I forget)
    What're you gonna tow it with?
    Ah, here's one for sale:

Note that one also has the Purple Spandex accents option.

Unfortunately if you wanted that color on a Cadillac you had to take a Coupe De Ville or the Series 62:

To get it on the Eldo Biarritz you had to take a little metallic with it:

But I could live with that.
    Either way you could get this:
    Al
    All bought new!

Oh yeah... the "truckette" as it's known by 'round here, has been long sold (in bad need of a replacement motor, as it didn't particularly enjoy American roadways which brought her impending end of life ever so much closer).
    And why are you showing me blue cars?... I said "TEAL" was my new favorite 60's color. And yes it's mine. (Restored 1964 MFG Westerfield Deluxe runabout)
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    In this world there are always those who march to the sound of a different drummer. These wayward marchers go off and break boundaries. Blistering leads on an acoustic. Purple spandex, and proud of it. Gibsons on a Guild forum. But the world is a better place for their pioneering efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesypicky View Post
    And why are you showing me blue cars?... I said "TEAL" was my new favorite 60's color. And yes it's mine. (Restored 1964 MFG Westerfield Deluxe runabout)
    NO you didn't say or even write "Teal", besides which, that's not "Teal", that's "Daphne Blue" (also known as Pantone #921C, "Lagoon")
    just like your old Custom Shop M70:

THIS is Teal:

Anyway the point is y'oughta at least make sure your tow vehicle doesn't clash with the boat.
    That'd be, like, gauche.
    Me?
    Screw the pink Cadillacs, make mine blue or green.
    Al
    All bought new!