Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GAD40 Dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Grassdog View Post
    An amazing score for $225 - and a K & K to boot - I mean, the pickup itself may have cost as much as you paid for the guitar - congrats and enjoy.
    I know GD I thought the same thing! Like I said she will make a more than adequate campfire / traveler.. And if I ever find myself at an open mic night in a strange which I am known to I can plug her in.. Thanks sir!
    Extended Family:
    '18 Guild F55 Jumbo ( Oxnard )
    '78 Guild D35 SB ( Westerly )
    '77 Guild S300 Natural ( Westerly )
    '19 Eastman E6D Sunburst ( MIC )
    '19 Eastman PCH1 OM CLA ( MIC )
    '89 Strat MIJ Projectcaster Marvel's Daredevil "Devilcaster" w/ Might Mite Maple neck & '91 Fender American P/U's
    '17 LTD EC-401QM Frankenpaul ( originally found in 3 pieces in a Guitar Center dumpster )
    Crate Palomino V32 US Made Class A tube amp

Quote Originally Posted by Bonneville88 View Post
    Congrats, great find, looks like a sweetheart! Nice wood, fit & finish look excellent - I probably
    would've snapped this up too if it appeared at one of my local GCs for that price!
    Thanks BV! Yeah really couldn't lose at that price.
    Extended Family:
    '89 Strat MIJ Projectcaster Marvel's Daredevil "Devilcaster" w/ Might Mite Maple neck & '91 Fender American P/U's
    '17 LTD EC-401QM Frankenpaul ( originally found in 3 pieces in a Guitar Center dumpster )

Also notice it has a really interesting top.. not sure what to call that.. not bearclaw but something is going on with the whole top.. I think it is pretty cool.
    Extended Family:

Yeah the top is interesting...vey nice. Almost like it was cut on a different bias.

Love to hear the explanation on that
    NH 2011 D-40 Standard, 2014 Orpheum 000-12 Fret SH Hog, 2010 F-412, 2010 F-512.

Westerly: Songbird, JF-30-12, 1976 F-212, 1971 D-25 CH, 1982 D-70, F4CE, 1996 D-26

Westerly Series OM-140 SB

Ibanez V-302

Madeira A-2...(don't laugh!)

Most of the pain associated with my playing comes from having to listen to me. frono

Quote Originally Posted by beecee View Post
    Yeah the top is interesting...vey nice. Almost like it was cut on a different bias.

Love to hear the explanation on that
    Agreed.
    Extended Family:

Dang D30Man - I guess congrats is in order. I now will continue to obsess over these.

The only GAD 12 Fret I am aware of is this one. The other 12 Fret Guild (non GAD) was the Orpheum. If there is another and someone can share what model please do. I can't obsess over everything but 12 Fretters kinda got me right now.

Congrats, D30Man!

The pickguard is the typical GAD one, but if you remove it I think your guitar will have suntan lines.

I'd leave well enough alone on this and enjoy the great value (as GADs all were).
    Guilds:
    1967 MK-VI Artist Special (Hoboken - Jacobs restoration 2018) - "The Mark"
    12ers:
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Other 12ers:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655

Thanks Mark and Chaz.
    And for the record I would not pull off the PG without have a traditional one to replace it. :)
    Extended Family:

Another dilemma.. I am not finding anything on the forum around dating the GAD series.. I was able to dig up that there is a number on the heel block that is supposed to show the year as the first 2 numbers, but mine is covered up by a battery pack ( which tells me it is not a K&K but maybe a fishman p/u ). is there another way to tell?
    Extended Family:

Quote Originally Posted by D30Man View Post
    Another dilemma.. I am not finding anything on the forum around dating the GAD series.. I was able to dig up that there is a number on the heel block that is supposed to show the year as the first 2 numbers, but mine is covered up by a battery pack ( which tells me it is not a K&K but maybe a fishman p/u ). is there another way to tell?
    Not that I've ever heard of, but they**** only show on the Guild website from '07-'11.
    Re topwood:
    Yes I noted that unusual appearance too, I think it will turn out to be related to the cutting "bias", but I recall report from one of the Let's Meet Guild gatherings that a Fender rep said all the wood for the GAD's was actually sourced and bought by Fender and shipped to GREE by them, to assure that Fender's materials QC standards were upheld.
    EDIT: I mean, GADF40p's only show from '07-'11
    Last edited by adorshki; 01-31-2019 at 08:48 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!