GAD40 Dilemma

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Uh wait a sec... I taught you somethin'??? That had to be an accident Al. Good question. She is certainly a 12 fretter..

Well to give credit where due, Mark did....somewhere along the line I got the idea that all the GAD40's were 12-fretters, but when I looked again I saw that the maple ones were 16-fretters, only the Padauk bodies were 12-fretters.
So even though the "P" technically means "Padauk", they were all 12-fretters by definition.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Okay folks I went in to ZOO today and picked this guy up for $225. Here are some pictures including one of the bridge showing the hairline crack.. It plays nicely. Lots of volume. Very warm. Even has a K&K pure mini installed that works! Bonus! It is going to make a fine traveling / campfire guitar for sure.. Of course the goofy pickguard will be removed.

MSlm7Kw.jpg

Y9B2n7p.jpg

KGCA5ru.jpg

grmAKcl.jpg

EEseXe9.jpg

haIycrf.jpg

aQcKjNo.jpg

beecee

Reaction score
Gorgeous guitar...just gorgeous.

The only thing I don't care for in the GAD line is the Chesterfield. Doesn't look as good as the 'merikan versions but I love the fret board markings and the wood binding.

Hmm, 12 fretter...gotta keep my eye out for one of those.

GXAPI5q.jpg
[/IMG]

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That's an attractive Guild. I'm likin' it. I've had a few in the past with a similar bridge crack. In all cases but one, I never even had to get it repaired. It remained stable with no issues. Congrats!!!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total

The only thing I don't care for in the GAD line is the Chesterfield. Doesn't look as good as the 'merikan versions but I love the fret board markings and the wood binding.

GXAPI5q.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks BC.. yeah agreed on the chesterfield..

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
That's an attractive Guild. I'm likin' it. I've had a few in the past with a similar bridge crack. In all cases but one, I never even had to get it repaired. It remained stable with no issues. Congrats!!!

Thanks Rich! Yeah will probably ride it out a while and see how she holds before attempting gardman’s detailed recommendations. Which seems like a really solid way to remedy it..

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total

GXAPI5q.jpg
[/IMG]

BTW nice pic :)

Grassdog

Reaction score
An amazing score for $225 - and a K & K to boot - I mean, the pickup itself may have cost as much as you paid for the guitar - congrats and enjoy.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats, great find, looks like a sweetheart! Nice wood, fit & finish look excellent - I probably
would've snapped this up too if it appeared at one of my local GCs for that price!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
An amazing score for $225 - and a K & K to boot - I mean, the pickup itself may have cost as much as you paid for the guitar - congrats and enjoy.

I know GD I thought the same thing! Like I said she will make a more than adequate campfire / traveler.. And if I ever find myself at an open mic night in a strange which I am known to I can plug her in.. Thanks sir!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats, great find, looks like a sweetheart! Nice wood, fit & finish look excellent - I probably
would've snapped this up too if it appeared at one of my local GCs for that price!

Thanks BV! Yeah really couldn't lose at that price.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Also notice it has a really interesting top.. not sure what to call that.. not bearclaw but something is going on with the whole top.. I think it is pretty cool.

beecee

Reaction score
Yeah the top is interesting...vey nice. Almost like it was cut on a different bias.

Love to hear the explanation on that

Mark WW

Reaction score
Dang D30Man - I guess congrats is in order. I now will continue to obsess over these.

The only GAD 12 Fret I am aware of is this one. The other 12 Fret Guild (non GAD) was the Orpheum. If there is another and someone can share what model please do. I can't obsess over everything but 12 Fretters kinda got me right now.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats, D30Man!

The pickguard is the typical GAD one, but if you remove it I think your guitar will have suntan lines.

I'd leave well enough alone on this and enjoy the great value (as GADs all were).

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Mark and Chaz.
And for the record I would not pull off the PG without have a traditional one to replace it. :)

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Another dilemma.. I am not finding anything on the forum around dating the GAD series.. I was able to dig up that there is a number on the heel block that is supposed to show the year as the first 2 numbers, but mine is covered up by a battery pack ( which tells me it is not a K&K but maybe a fishman p/u ). is there another way to tell?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Another dilemma.. I am not finding anything on the forum around dating the GAD series.. I was able to dig up that there is a number on the heel block that is supposed to show the year as the first 2 numbers, but mine is covered up by a battery pack ( which tells me it is not a K&K but maybe a fishman p/u ). is there another way to tell?
Not that I've ever heard of, but they**** only show on the Guild website from '07-'11.
Re topwood:
Yes I noted that unusual appearance too, I think it will turn out to be related to the cutting "bias", but I recall report from one of the Let's Meet Guild gatherings that a Fender rep said all the wood for the GAD's was actually sourced and bought by Fender and shipped to GREE by them, to assure that Fender's materials QC standards were upheld.
EDIT: I mean, GADF40p's only show from '07-'11

Last edited: