Arista Awards

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
There's an Artist Award from the late '80s I've been interested in.

Is there anything I should watch out or look for on these guitars? Sort of out of my wheelhouse but it's SO pretty.

Also, what would you consider a good price assuming excellent condition?

X-170AB

Reaction score
Hmm... when I read the title, I thought the thread might be about some record company getting an award. An Artist Award thread is much more interesting, though!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Benedetto AAs are supposed to be the best of the later ones; they certainly command the best prices according to the VGG. If you can get one for less than 5K, I think you’re doing well. The non-Bene AAs should be less than 5K, maybe closer to 4K.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Benedetto AAs are supposed to be the best of the later ones; they certainly command the best prices according to the VGG. If you can get one for less than 5K, I think you’re doing well. The non-Bene AAs should be less than 5K, maybe closer to 4K.

I remember passing on a New Hartford American Patriot AA not long ago for $4K, and in retrospect, I should have bought it. My problem with any AA is that as soon as I get near one, I get a massive insecurity complex. They just have a way of doing that to you. As far as prices go, if it's a Westerly, I'd aim for $4K or less.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Re the title - LOL. The company I work for is named Arista. Teach me to type late at night.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is the guitar. The current owner has jacked up the price but I've got him back down to what it sold for here.

I'm just a sucker for that beautiful '80s burst.

Also, I totally get the inferiority complex thing. I felt the same way with the X500s that I owned, so I'm sure this will be much worse.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just checking in...what did GAD buy now? lol

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Sold! Did you buy it Gary? Sure is pretty!
You know, I can't recall seeing an AA with a 'burst before, probably have, but I've got "natural" almost indelibly imprinted for that model.
That's gotta be little bit of a bump for rarity all by itself, especially that reddish (Cherry?) one I like too..

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Whelp - it's mine. I look forward to disappointing that guitar with some fine pentatonic wankery.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Whelp - it's mine. I look forward to disappointing that guitar with some fine pentatonic wankery.

Congratulations! I've come close twice, but wimped out both times.