Shocking Depth Details!!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
hey walrus, you sure you didn't switch those numbers? The way you stated it, it sounds like it's bigger at the little, than bottom at the top!!! :witless:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Geez Tom sorry about your nephew man...
Yes, second that.
My sincere condolences.
So is it a common thing for body depths to be inconsistent with older Guild models? In truth I have never measured any of my body depths?
In a word, in Westerly, yes.
Not sure about Hoboken.
Hans has explained here before that the body bucks were not all of an identical height, they could vary by as much as a 1/4" from the "spec" body depth.
So after the sides were bent, they were sanded down level with the sides of the bucks in preparation for gluing on backs and tops.
So if you got a guitar that was the full 1/4" under spec next to one that was the full 1/4" over, theoretically you could have 2 supposedly identical guitars built next to each other on the same day with consecutive serial numbers with a net 1/2" difference in body depth.
EEEK!!
So stop worrying about your nuts and start worrying about your depth.
There ain't no comin' back from 6 feet under.
:blue:

What? You don't believe I have access to a tape measure and a D65s and/or a DV72?
:)
Of necessity, I only trust tape measures for circumference.
When it comes to length gimme a good old fashioned wooden straightedge.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
hey walrus, you sure you didn't switch those numbers? The way you stated it, it sounds like it's bigger at the little, than bottom at the top!!! :witless:

Good catch! Yes I did! :redface:

Just edited it....

walrus

F312

Reaction score
Sorry to hear the sad news of your nephew.
I'm glad to hear he had full military honors. When My dad Died 10 years ago at 94 and a Pearl Harbor Survivor, we were told that the Obama administration cut that program out, has it changed again? Anyone know of this.

Ralph

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ralph, it wasn't a 21 gun salute. Only 5, which I attributed to cutbacks and all. Not sure on the policy. There were 12 corpsmen and women total. Not sure if that's standard issue these days. I'm gonna miss Lawrence. You always knew when Lawrence Gordon was in the room, and that was a good thing!!

He met Julia (our niece) when they were both in the Army at the same time. Not sure if her service had any impact on the service.

tommym

Reaction score
Typically, you will have 3 to 7 service men /women fire a three-volley salute at a funeral for non heads of state. Just depends on who is available on that day. I pull enough of that duty when I was in the military.

As far as I remember, only the President of the United States gets a full 21 gun salute (21 separate rounds fired off separately) in this country. There is no requirement to have 21 separate guns, rifles, or cannons on-site; just 21 rounds fired off separately. So if say only have one cannon, you going to be a bit busy during the ceremony.

I've been to a bunch of military funerals in the last couple of years, always with full military honors as noted above.

Tommy

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hans has explained here before that the body bucks were not all of an identical height, they could vary by as much as a 1/4" from the "spec" body depth.
So after the sides were bent, they were sanded down level with the sides of the bucks in preparation for gluing on backs and tops.

That's not exactly how things went and how I described it, but the end result was the same.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, Tommy. That clears some of it up for me. They fired exactly three volleys.

At military funerals, one often sees three volleys of shots fired in honor of the deceased veteran. It is often mistaken by the laymen as a 21-gun salute, although it is different. In the military, a "gun" is a large-caliber weapon. The three volleys are fired from "rifles," not "guns."

Anyone who is entitled to a military funeral will receive the three rifle volleys, subject to availability of honor guard teams. The firing team can consist of any number, but one usually sees a team of eight, with a noncommissioned officer in charge of the firing detail. Whether the team consists of three or eight, or ten, each member fires three times (three volleys).

I was present at the internment of a Brigadier General, U.S. Army (Ret.) at Arlington Cemetery. My recollection was that they used cannon to fire the salute, but there were not seven of them.

The tradition of firing a volley is a long tradition and I am not comfortable with the suggestion that the policy was changed under a recent U. S. President. That said, over the years there has been difficulty providing active duty military personnel for funeral honors. A heartbreaking/heartwarming story is about a time when the local officer in charge could not respond to every request and asked a high school ROTC unit to be perform the duties rather than have a veteran buried un-honored. The students did so including playing Taps and firing the volleys and folding and presenting the flag.