Guild F50R vs Gibson SJ200

livemusic

Reaction score
The SJ200 is certainly a beautiful guitar but I don't have one! I do have an F50R that I bought because it slayed me when I first picked it up... easy of play and tone. Can anyone compare these two guitars, how does the Gibson compare?

Also, what about tuning a whole step down, D to d instead of E to e. Would tuning down so much change your comparison? (I like having a guitar tuned a whole step down and the F50R is my choice among my stable.) But I am also interested in the comparison at standard tuning.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
It's a looooooong time ago, but I had the opportunity to compare my F50 blond with a friend's SJ200 several times. Don't know what string differences there were, but the F50 had more sustain and volume than the J2. FWIW, the Gibson was one of a lot of 20 made for Elvis to give to some of his friends, but he died before they were delivered. Again, FWIW, Dave Van Ronk switched from an SJ200 to an F50R about midway through his career.
Brad

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've owned the Gibson SJ 200 Std. in both Maple and Rosewood. I own now the both the Guild F 50 and F 50R. I know I may be a bit biased but I preferred the tone, volume and sustain of my Guilds over either Gibson. I will say, I still love the Gibson. I love the way it looks and the iconic nature of it plus it's really easy to get your money out of that model should you ever sell. (quite possibly more if you buy right).

In my opinion, nothing wrong with having 2 or 3 or 4..... of each.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've played probably half a dozen J200s, and not one of them came close to my F50ce Standard from New Hartford. I'll add that I find all the bling on the Gibson unattractive, to say the least. Mine has a prettier back, too!

21307120786_dd76221b2f_b.jpg

Grassdog

Reaction score
While they're both jumbos, these are really two different animals. The F-50R is rosewood b/s, almost all J-200's are maple. That makes a big tonal difference right off the bat. If we're talking about a maple F-50 I think we can have a meaningful discussion. But even then is depends what era/build J-200 we're talking about and what kind of music it's being used for and the skill level of the player. In my view these are both iconic axe's, I hate to take the side of one over the other.

F312

Reaction score
I've played probably half a dozen J200s, and not one of them came close to my F50ce Standard from New Hartford. I'll add that I find all the bling on the Gibson unattractive, to say the least. Mine has a prettier back, too!

Looks like it's throwing off heat.

Ralph

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
In truth I have never played a j200 but I certainly know of them. I have enjoyed many tunes where Townes Van Zandt was playing one.. interesting to see folks opinions on them.

I can tell you I adore my F55 Oxnard which is the new version of an F50R.. I would love to do a shootout with it and the J200.. my guess is there are some tonal similarities between the two..

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I can tell you I adore my F55 Oxnard which is the new version of an F50R.. I would love to do a shootout with it and the J200.. my guess is there are some tonal similarities between the two..

Despite what the "tonewood doesn't matter" set says, I think comparing a rosewood guitar to a maple one is apples to oranges. The only fair comparison is with the "regular" F50.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah comparing Maple to Rosewood is just choosing which ones tone appeals to you the most . 😊

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Though it is no mystery most of your sound comes from the top I am not of the “tone wood doesnt matter” crowd.. i still wouldn’t mind doing the comparison..would be more appropriate with a regular F50 or the new F55 maple..

bobouz

Reaction score
I currently own both a Guild & Gibson jumbo in maple.

Each has the pronounced base rumble you’d expect from a good jumbo. The Guild projects quite evenly from top to bottom, while the Gibson has a more pronounced separation between bass & treble tones. Both are very satisfying to play.

That said, I’ve owned two other Gibson jumbos, one which sounded more like this particular Guild, so I think internet generalizations will only carry you so far in assessing these beautiful beasts!

Reaction score
I actually have both, and play both live and at home regularly. Both great guitars, but markedly different tone. The F50r is rosewood b/s and is warm and full-bodied with lots of sustain, whereas the J200 is maple is not quite as full on the bottom, not quite as loud, not quite as much sustain, but focused, a bit more mids, and extremely well-balanced. Both have excellent playability and feel.

Now, part of the difference could also be that the F50r is older (2005) and perhaps “ opened up” nicely, whereas the J200 is newer (2012) and was hardly ever played when I got it, so us still in the process of opening.

At home and in more acoustic-type gigs, I grab the Guild, but for live, onstage with full band, I usually grab the Gibson. It cuts through the whole band sound without having to turn it up too much.

And I love the bling on both!!!

The build quality on both is outstanding! The Gibson is just a bit lighter, but not enough of a difference to make it a deciding factor. Also, aesthetically speaking, I do a bunch of “ Tribute” shows, and the black J200 works for the Neil Diamond thing. And the F50r that Kristofferson signed works great for the Johnny Cash gigs ( but, honestly, so does the black J200).

Musicians dig both. Audience members... everyone seems to know and recognize Gibson... not so much Guild.

And, for what it’s worth, Gibsons eat strings at about twice the rate as Guilds. I don’t know why, but I can keep stings on the Guilds for a month or two and they sound great, especially after a day or two. On the Gibson, the new strings sound great immediately, but at 3-4 weeks, it’s time to replace. (I use D’Addario Pb 12s.)
That could explain why I’ve never really found a J200 in a store that really sounded “great”. They don’t change strings that often, if ever, in the stores. Knowing that now, I may have misjudged a few in the past.

Just my perspective, hope this helps.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

I've never played a Gibson SJ200, but this thread was worth it just to see this image! Absolutely stunning!

walrus

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've never played a Gibson SJ200, but this thread was worth it just to see this image! Absolutely stunning!

walrus

I never really had any intention of owning one, but loved the one Steve (default) owns when I played it at my house. It all started innocently enough in this thread, and next thing I knew, I bought this one for what is now a stupid cheap price. It can run with any guitar in my herd really, and along with my Gibson WM45 is the best bang for the buck guitar I've ever played. As an added bonus, it's gorgeous (prettier than the WM45), maple, and has good electronics and a cutaway. I wouldn't part with it now for less than $1500, and it's worth every penny of that.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The SJ200 is certainly a beautiful guitar but I don't have one! I do have an F50R....

As a new era guitar newbie, I hung out at the Gibson forum before joining here. The SJ-200 was always the "dream guitar," and of course out of reach financially (and rationally for a semi-beginner). Then I got my F-50R. I'd certainly take an SJ-200 if I won it in a raffle, but I no longer dream about getting one. The F-50R IS my dream guitar. :encouragement:

f50r557.jpg

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
I used to have a '73 F50R. I use to try out every SJ200 I could find to A/B the two, and the Guild came out ahead to me every time. As others have noted, there is a difference between rosewood and maple. The only reason I sold it was because my hands weren't working as well on 1 11/16. I still have an awesome JF 55-12 and Mark V.

CK