AM I being too picky?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't see an issue with the touch up but then I am not bothering to look at images at any kind of enlargement.

When I was selling antiques, if we had work done between acquisition and sale, we would mention that and who did the work. We considered that as a "full disclosure" kind of thing. We did not want to mislead and have someone think they were getting something 100% original and unmodified. Neither did we want them to think we (well intentioned amateurs) had done the work ourselves.

In this case I think GC is trying to appeal to a local market, where NC Guitar has a positive reputation, let buyers know it has been "upgraded" and that someone more qualified than your stereotypical GC technician had done the work.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pretty much what Frono said. I can't really tell what's what from those pics.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am disappointed by that “repair”. It looks like they used a brush. Most pro level repair shops would use a small airbrush gun to feather it in, masking the binding first. If they had at least kept it off the binding, I’d give them a pass. They could also have scraped the binding clean afterwards, too.
Yes, it’s a small thing, but it shows a lack of caring. The best shops could fix it so you’d never know it was touched.

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

This is an interesting thread - but unfortunately Guitar Center pictures are no more visible over here - so coul someone please put the pics in this thread.

Thank you

geoguy

Reaction score
I couldn't get this image to show in a post, but if you copy/paste the following link into a browser's address bar, you may be able to see a blotchy/too-dark repair that overlaps binding:

blob:null/ee4b7cc2-77d4-4bfc-96b9-68c2defee2d3

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

This is an interesting thread - but unfortunately Guitar Center pictures are no more visible over here - so coul someone please put the pics in this thread.

Thank you
Here ya go.

a15dd52a-ca5f-4ffb-9f3c-265669f6cdcb.jpeg

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Now visible - thx

And over here it looks as if it had been better off just leaving as it was before "fixing".

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That’s terrable work. I can’t believe any kind of professional did that.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sure, to say: "Paint blemish on top of body touched up by NC Guitar Works." is definitely just showing that this shop in Charlotte is not a shop I would trust in...
On the other hand, look how small that spot is compared to the width of the binding. If one really wants that guitar that wouldn't bother me...And it can be most probably fixed.

And just to show the entire guitar in question, according to GC it's a "Used Gibson 2018 Hummingbird Pro Limited Edition 12 String Acoustic Electric Guitar Vintage Sunburst":

000000114956197-00-820x820.jpg

Next...

Ralf

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If the price was right and I really wanted that guitar, that "blemish" would not bother me. And don't forget at GC it is easy to return it if it bothers you once you see it in person...

walrus

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks like someone eating licorice had been drooling over it . . . :blue:

beecee

Reaction score
At least they weren't eating red licorice.

I just thought it was pretty sloppy work....and to have it called out like that. I don't have a huge issue with the blemish per se...and it wouldn't stop me from buying it for the right price...heck, it may even be worth the $20 shipping to A/B it with my F-512/F-412.

Be interesting to see which ones stayed.

I've played 2 Gibsons lately that have kind of talked back. That hasn't happened in a bit. I'm really jonesing for a burst and since Cougar won't sell his...…. :laughing: