The new DS-240 Memoir?

Okieguildfan

Reaction score
I also noticed that they have added a few deluxe models to the 240 series. I miss my old JF-30 and the F-250 might be a nice (cheaper) substitute.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't think that anyone here has seen one in person or played one, since it's debut at NAMM this winter. What I would suggest is that you BUY ONE and then let us know what you think!! That's as good of a reason to get a new guitar as any, right?

Right?

Is anyone there?

LOL!!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
i would give it a go. has to be better than the recording king version of the same, which is quite nice.

Mark WW

Reaction score
I wish they had made it a 12 fret. But I dig the slope shoulder. Be watching for some more demos. I am kind of interested in that and the other memoir.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cool , laminated back and sides right ?

Okieguildfan

Reaction score
Yup. The 200 series is the laminated back and sides (cheapest) of the imports. I also noticed on a separate NAMM video that they are releasing a 12 fret parlor with a slotted headstock and script logo. Also in the cheap Memoir Series.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yup. The 200 series is the laminated back and sides (cheapest) of the imports.
Admittedly I haven't done a price list comparison, but I don't think the laminateds are necessarily the "cheapest', it's just where they originally parked the arched back models when they introduced their new numbering scheme. Traditionally with Guild, arched backs were basically laminated by definition.
The laminated flat backs are a new innovation for Guild, but in this case I suspect it's more about the workability of the new exotic woods they introduced on' em:
Certain woods don't lend themselves to the bending process at the normal thicknesses used for guitar bodies when they're solid, they're simply too stiff.
Even if that new ebony-bodied model isn't "true" ebony, for example, I bet it's probably harder to work.
I'm also not so sure that the premise that a laminated wood is by definition cheaper than a solid is actually valid anymore.
Consider: there has to be a gluing process to lay up the sheets, that's a labor cost adder even is the center layer is a cheap filler; and in the case of backs in particular, they've gotta be pressed to shape, another handling cost adder.
So I'm not so sure they're significantly cheaper than their solid counterparts, at least when it comes to instruments, anymore.
Anybody with better knowledge of the industry feel free to shoot me down.
:tranquillity:

Last edited:

Mark WW

Reaction score
Yamaha has been doing laminates (ply) since the 60's and I dare say they have the process down. I owned and gigged with a Red Label Gakki 12 string Yammie in 1971 - 1974. It sounded and played great. So the process isn't new and I would not be surprised if improvements have not been incorporated. But even I fall prey to the laminate isn't "real wood" thought trap. So I have to let my hands and ears tell me what I like.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yamaha has been doing laminates (ply) since the 60's and I dare say they have the process down. I owned and gigged with a Red Label Gakki 12 string Yammie in 1971 - 1974. It sounded and played great. So the process isn't new and I would not be surprised if improvements have not been incorporated
Yeah the Red Label Yamahas are supposed to be the "exception that proves the rule."
Guild's been doing the arched laminated back thing since the F50 in '54, and this is probably a good time to bring out the old defense we used to present to "Guild newbies" who questioned the tone quality of laminated backs, having heard the generalization that "laminated wood is a tone-killer":
"A laminated back isn't a 'tone-killer' since the sound is generated primarily by the top.",
Traditionally this is why laminated top guitars had a bad rep and probably created a self-fulfilling prophecy that lamination was cheap because it was used for tops on cheap guitars.
And one can't escape the fact that the term "plywood" itself has connotations of "cheap" when in fact just the opposite may be true, depending on the type of plywood.
Wiki page is, as usual, "edifying" :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plywood

But even I fall prey to the laminate isn't "real wood" thought trap. So I have to let my hands and ears tell me what I like.
I reiterate, the Yamaha Red Labels proved that great sounding guitars could be built with laminated tops, but in general, laminated tops CAN'T resonate in the same way that sold tops can, they usually sacrifice low and high end response, but they DO tend to suppress feedback and are therefore routinely used in electric archtops, Guild included.
Technically you could call a wood laminate an engineered material, but I don't have any prejudice towards it.
I think it's actually got advantages (besides the feedback suppression) such as being inherently stronger than solid woods of equal weight, and almost impervious to cracking, and makes our beloved archback design feasible.
I think the reputed cost advantage must come from reduced construction cost though, since the back doesn't have to be assembled in the same way a traditional flatback does (mating the sides and gluing on bracing).
Even if the material cost is marginally "cheaper"(which I'm still not sure of) , labor cost savings are usually the biggest part of lowered unit cost anyway.
I just don't know for sure if my guesses about relative costs of materials vs labor are in fact correct.

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Regarding the arched backs and laminated wood this is what Guild wrote on the webpage:

"Guild began its legacy in 1953 by producing archtop electric guitars for the Jazz market in New York city; these guitars were built with arched backs made from pressed laminate maple, a low-cost alternative to hand-carved maple backs typical in Jazz guitar construction.
As the company grew and began offering flat-top acoustics in 1954, the first models such as the F-30, F-40 and F-50 shared this pressed laminate arched back construction, which became a Guild trademark. Other classic Guilds like the D-25 and F-412, icons of the brand’s history to this day, represent this unique combination of acoustic flat top and arched back guitar construction.
In addition to its classic look and ergonomic comfort, an arched back design prevents the need for the added support of back braces, reducing weight while increasing projection and volume, contributing to the revered Guild sound for which these historic models are so well loved."

Ralf

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
And what's cool is the machine Guild uses to press the laminate has gone from factory to factory I believe dating back to Hoboken.. could be wrong.... granted this does not factor into the memoir seeing as how it is MIC.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And what's cool is the machine Guild uses to press the laminate has gone from factory to factory I believe dating back to Hoboken.. could be wrong.... granted this does not factor into the Memoir series...
Not Hoboken but mid 80ies Westerly. In the F-55 Maple and F-512 Maple press release Guild wrote: "...feature arched flamed maple backs created on the same machine that has been pressing Guild guitars for the last 34 years."

Here's a picture when the old press arrived in Oxnard from New Hartford back in 2014:

stage1_insideguild_6.jpg

And from the front side as it looked last year:

F-512_homeBanner.jpg

By the way, the Guild USA laminated backs are not laminated like plywood, the Guild "plys" are all tonewood Maple (or mahogany as well in the past), no cheap filler woods for the inner layers. This was the same for all laminated back Guild USA models in the past. I simply assume without knowing that Oxnard is using the same production process as in the past.

Ralf

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Not Hoboken but mid 80ies Westerly. In the F-55 Maple and F-512 Maple press release Guild wrote: "...feature arched flamed maple backs created on the same machine that has been pressing Guild guitars for the last 34 years."

Here's a picture when the old press arrived in Oxnard from New Hartford back in 2014:

stage1_insideguild_6.jpg

And from the front side as it looked last year:

F-512_homeBanner.jpg

By the way, the Guild USA laminated backs are not laminated like plywood, the Guild "plys" are all tonewood Maple (or mahogany as well in the past), no cheap filler woods for the inner layers. This was the same for all laminated back Guild USA models in the past. I simply assume without knowing that Oxnard is using the same production process as in the past.

Ralf

Thanks Ralf for the clarification! Wow in the first picture it is like an optical illusion.. the press machine looks huge compared to Ren and the lady next to him.. Obviously they are standing some distance back..

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah the Red Label Yamahas are supposed to be the "exception that proves the rule."
Guild's been doing the arched laminated back thing since the F50 in '54, and this is probably a good time to bring out the old defense we used to present to "Guild newbies" who questioned the tone quality of laminated backs, having heard the generalization that "laminated wood is a tone-killer":
"A laminated back isn't a 'tone-killer' since the sound is generated primarily by the top.",
Traditionally this is why laminated top guitars had a bad rep and probably created a self-fulfilling prophecy that lamination was cheap because it was used for tops on cheap guitars.
And one can't escape the fact that the term "plywood" itself has connotations of "cheap" when in fact just the opposite may be true, depending on the type of plywood.
Wiki page is, as usual, "edifying" :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plywood

I reiterate, the Yamaha Red Labels proved that great sounding guitars could be built with laminated tops, but in general, laminated tops CAN'T resonate in the same way that sold tops can, they usually sacrifice low and high end response, but they DO tend to suppress feedback and are therefore routinely used in electric archtops, Guild included.
Technically you could call a wood laminate an engineered material, but I don't have any prejudice towards it.
I think it's actually got advantages (besides the feedback suppression) such as being inherently stronger than solid woods of equal weight, and almost impervious to cracking, and makes our beloved archback design feasible.
I think the reputed cost advantage must come from reduced construction cost though, since the back doesn't have to be assembled in the same way a traditional flatback does (mating the sides and gluing on bracing).
Even if the material cost is marginally "cheaper"(which I'm still not sure of) , labor cost savings are usually the biggest part of lowered unit cost anyway.
I just don't know for sure if my guesses about relative costs of materials vs labor are in fact correct.

I picked up an Epi EJ-200 Artist series acoustic at Zoo music the other day. All lam top, back and sides.. It was an absolute power house. Balanced. Loud. All around solid. But not! I looked up the specs bc I knew the top had to be solid. The specs said "select spruce top" which is fancy talk for laminate. Obviously it is a jumbo so that helps in the volume department, but it is impressive what good design can yield in spite of the lack of solid tone woods..

Mark WW

Reaction score
Some very good info shared on the Guild lamination process. I am looking forward to availability of the new Memoirs.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

Ralf

Ralf, I'm absolutely positive that in the past Hans has stated that inner layers of the laminate were usually some "filler" wood such as poplar, in Westerly, anyway.
And it doesn't matter if the inner layers are filler, the point is, it's the outside layer that's doing the reflecting and tone coloring.
Ah, here it is, post #10.:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?162138-D15m-has-a-plywood-back
EDIT: It occurs to me that tops (as in the archtop family) might be another issue, the specific context of that original statement was about arched backs.
Also, I suspect that detail about the press being used for only 34 years is incorrect, I think it's a lot older than that.
It's one of my pet topics and a couple of years back I even nominated it for the single most iconic piece of Guild tooling.
It's true I never found any confirmation that it was actually used in Hoboken but I'm pretty darn sure it was in use in Westerly long before 1985.
And while this doesn't prove me right, there are a lot of little erroneous details on their site, some of which have been noted in past.
Here're a few from the "History and Heritage" page:
"In 1983, the Talking Heads' groundbreaking live concert "Stop Making Sense" is filmed. Lead singer David Byrne uses his solid-body Guild."
As far as I know Byrne never had a solid body Guild, in any case what he uses in Stop Making Sense is a BC Rich as identified here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519055
What we do recognize him for is his F15ce, so at least get it right, Cordoba!
9316938626_b954c4b511_z.jpg

And:
"..and Bonnie Raitt picks up her first Navarre F-50, which is a new version of the F-50 with rosewood back and sides."
The F50 started as the Navarre in '54, the rosewood F50 was an F50R.
Finally:
"In 1969, Richie Havens wows the world when he opens the Woodstock Festival in 1969 with his Guild D-40. The D-40 and D-50 go on to become mainstays in the Guild line."
OK this might be a "semantic issue" but D40's and '50's had already been around since 1963 and were already mainstays, if you ask me.
Anyway, my confidence in Cordoba's historic accuracy about Guild isn't very high.
ADDED:
Regarding the arched backs and laminated wood this is what Guild wrote on the webpage:

"Guild began its legacy in 1953 by producing archtop electric guitars for the Jazz market in New York city; these guitars were built with arched backs made from pressed laminate maple, a low-cost alternative to hand-carved maple backs typical in Jazz guitar construction.
As the company grew and began offering flat-top acoustics in 1954, the first models such as the F-30, F-40 and F-50 shared this pressed laminate arched back construction, which became a Guild trademark. Other classic Guilds like the D-25 and F-412, icons of the brand’s history to this day, represent this unique combination of acoustic flat top and arched back guitar construction.
In addition to its classic look and ergonomic comfort, an arched back design prevents the need for the added support of back braces, reducing weight while increasing projection and volume, contributing to the revered Guild sound for which these historic models are so well loved."
Ralf
Following up on my issue with Cordoba's credibility in certain things, while it's true that I could have been more clear about when Guild actually started using the laminated arched back (I could have specified "arched backs on flattops", but since the discussion was about flattops I let it slide); I still found some of their statements about the virtues of an arched back to be questionable at best.
"Ergonomic"? When has anybody around here ever stated that was an advantage of an arched back?
And the lack of bracing contributing to the sound?
In fact it's the parabolic shape, and I suspect a parabolic-shaped back will exhibit the same characteristics whether it's braced or not.
OK maybe it was just poorly worded.
Bracing certainly doesn't get in the way of the sonic characteristics of a traditional braced flat-back.
And finally, while it's probably true that Guild is the master of the flat back design; it's NOT a "trademark" except in the loose usage of the term, in fact Guild probably got it from their Epiphone DNA According to post # 17 here:
http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/118230-gibson-acoustics-with-no-back-bracing/
"My 1955 NY Epiphone Company FT79 has a laminated arched back. The FT79 was a flattop. The original Epiphone Company started producing laminated arched back FT79’s in 1949. From 1941-1948, the FT79 did not have a lam arched back. Starting in 1949, the Epi FT110, also a flattop, also had a lam arched back. The FT110 morphed into the Gibson owned Epi Frontier in 1958 as the FT79 morphed into the FT79 Texan when Gibson bought Epi. Neither the FT79 Texan or Frontier continued the lam arched back under Gibson ownership of Epi.
Guild debuted guitars circa 1953 from a group of workers/managers who bolted from the NY Epiphone Company (before Gibson bought Epi) when there was some kind of strike going on at Epi or something and formed the Guild Company, producing their first flattops in 1953 based on their workers’ and manager’s knowledge of building guitars from their experience while at Epi. That’s where Guild’s concept of lam arched back guitars apparently came from and why. Also, their initial knowledge of building archtops as well as other guitars.
Hope this helps.
QM aka Jazzmam Jeff"

And to set the record straight, Al Dronge formed Guild with former Epiphone exec George Mann using ex-Epiphone employees who didn't want to move to Philadelphia from New York.
The move was Epiphone's union-defying gesture after the strike correctly mentioned above..

Last edited: