Photobucket back up, kinda

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just a couple of head'sups.

Photobucket seems to have released it's hostage photos. I'm in the process of rebuilding the amp sticky and they seem to all be back. However, I have experienced downliad issues where they have been unopenable afterwards. You can screenshot them, but it takes a considerable amount of time. That being said, I have managed to save a lot of amp pics for posterity.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's great to hear!

Photobucket's ability to break decade's worth of forum posts the world over is alarming. I hope everyone gets their pics.

Lesson for the day: never trust an online provider with the sole copies of photos (or anything else for that matter).

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes. They appear, but with a PB watermark on them.

It's just a software-induced overlay. If you do a right-click and view the image in a new window or frame the overlay is gone. You can't right-click save-as from forum posts without the overlay, but hey - at least the old forum posts work again.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes. They appear, but with a PB watermark on them.
"Photobucket hosts over 30 million images for free every day! In order to keep our basic hosting services absolutely free for all members, we overlay a “proudly hosted on Photobucket” watermark on all images that are displayed by our free members on sites other than photobucket.com. By watermarking images, we are able to reduce our brand marketing expenses to offset our bandwidth costs. Everyone wins!
If you prefer your images to remain watermark-free, we invite you to upgrade to one of our affordable plans that includes enhanced hosting services starting at $4.03/month (billed annually)."

"Everyone wins"...ha, ha... :upset:

Source: https://support.photobucket.com/hc/...06333-Proudly-Hosted-on-Photobucket-watermark

Ralf

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I used Firefox to screenshot and download them, and I opened them in Irfanview. I have not noticed any watermarks. The pics are back in the amp sticky, but I am not confident that capnjuan's account will stay up long term. I'm toying with the idea of writing a Guild Amp book and having it printed by a vanity press somewhere...

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Screenshots may be of lower resolution than the originals. Right click save as is the right way to go when viewing the photobucket site.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I used Firefox to screenshot and download them, and I opened them in Irfanview. I have not noticed any watermarks. The pics are back in the amp sticky, but I am not confident that capnjuan's account will stay up long term. I'm toying with the idea of writing a Guild Amp book and having it printed by a vanity press somewhere...

Also, I’m in for a copy of the book!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's just a software-induced overlay. If you do a right-click and view the image in a new window or frame the overlay is gone. You can't right-click save-as from forum posts without the overlay, but hey - at least the old forum posts work again.

For some reason, those downloaded photos would not open on my desktop. Something about file headers being damaged. I don't know what the issues were, but it had nothing to do with file associations, which seem to be the stock answer. :-/