Steve Gunn - Guild

merlin6666

Reaction score
I just came across this guitar player named Steve Gunn, and in this video he appears to be playing a Guild. Is this an older D40?

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
That’d be a d-35..
There was an interview with him on Reverb where he talks about it and the guild brand in general. cannot seem to locate said video.

Br1ck

Reaction score
I've got a thing for D 35s. It's like they were sorting tops and all the "flawed" tops went into the cheapo pile. Mine has a bunch of bear claw, which in 1970 was looked down on. There was a lot of tight grained flawless sitka back then.

macandcheese

Reaction score
Guild Total
Steve Gunn is the real deal... check out his stuff as Gunn-Truscinski duo, a little more psych-focused than his newer stuff. His recent albums are more structured / lyrical songs but still great. He had a sweet spot (IMO) with some real Americana influenced instrumentals a handful of releases ago, and a real heady collab with MC Taylor of Hiss Golden Messenger as Golden Gunn. He also leans bluegrass at times with the Black Twig Pickers, has collaborated with Mike Cooper, and produced Michael Chapman's great "50" album. Lots of artists to explore on the Steve Gunn tree - most of his releases are on the excellent Paradise of Bachelors or Three Lobed Recordings labels. Plus he plays a Guild. Happy digging.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've got a thing for D 35s. It's like they were sorting tops and all the "flawed" tops went into the cheapo pile. Mine has a bunch of bear claw, which in 1970 was looked down on. There was a lot of tight grained flawless sitka back then.

Good point, we've wondered before "why a D35?" when there was already the D40, and simple cosmetic differences didn't really seem to explain it, since, for example, the chesterfield came and went on D40's.
But in later price lists D40's showed AA tops.
Don't know if that was always the case but it wouldn't surprise me and could corroborate your hypothesis.