Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Wood Doesn't Matter ...

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Ahhh....but wasn't that the one that questioned whether an electric guitar's tonewood could affect the guitar's sound?
    And didn't you ultimately come to understand that it can and does?
    Oh, that's what you concluded from all of that? OK... we can go with that... It's not how I would have summarized it... But then I found out that Billy Corgan claims that white paint makes a different tone than blue paint, and I have nothing left to say....
    ----------------------------------
    1980 Guild D40C Sunburst
    20?? Guild AO-3CE (MIM)
    2014 Guild Savoy 150A Sunburst (MIK)

Soundcloud - Cat's In The Crade (D40C)

Quote Originally Posted by PittPastor View Post
    Oh, that's what you concluded from all of that? OK... we can go with that... It's not how I would have summarized it...
    Diplomatic reply noted and sincerely respected.
    On reflection I do recall some strong suggestions of trolling and intransigent beliefs on your part,in the face of evidence requested and delivered, from some members who weren't fully comprehending your intended meanings within the limitations of this text-only medium.
    ('scuse me, gotta catch my breath here, OK, now:)
    But are you saying you're still not satisfied that an electric guitar's pickups (ad output) are affected by other factors beyond the strings' interference with their magnetic fields?
    A simple yes or no is ok, I could resurrect that earlier thread to continue the specific electric guitar issue over there.
    Sincerely, no snark intended, I really do respect your diplomacy here.

Quote Originally Posted by PittPastor View Post
    But then I found out that Billy Corgan claims that white paint makes a different tone than blue paint, and I have nothing left to say....
    I love Billy to death but even I don't have the patience to investigate the possible reasons that could be true.
    On the other hand, Hendrix had both a white Strat(s) and a white SG.
    And wore white at Woodstock, too.
    And John Lennon went through his own "White" period.
    And let's not forget Elvis' jumpsuit.
    One's gotta wonder.
    Last edited by adorshki; 01-25-2019 at 05:14 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

On reflection I do recall some strong suggestions of trolling and intransigent beliefs on your part,in the face of evidence requested and delivered, from some members who weren't fully comprehending your intended meanings within the limitations of this text-only medium.
    ('scuse me, gotta catch my breath here, OK, now:)
    But are you saying you're still not satisfied that an electric guitar's pickups (ad output) are affected by other factors beyond the strings' interference with their magnetic fields?
    A simple yes or no is ok, I could resurrect that earlier thread to continue the specific electric guitar issue over there.
    Sincerely, no snark intended, I really do respect your diplomacy here.

I love Billy to death but even I don't have the patience to investigate the possible reasons that could be true.
    On the other hand, Hendrix had both a white Strat(s) and a white SG.
    And wore white at Woodstock, too.
    And John Lennon went through his own "White" period.
    And let's not forget Elvis' jumpsuit.
    One's gotta wonder.
    I think we are moving to the grey area.

Ralph

Without wanting to trigger a lot of people who have strong beliefs on the subject -- after my discussion with Stuart Day, I do believe that there is a difference in vibrations depending on the wood used. I even believe that it could be measured with electronic instruments that could detect such things.

Do I believe that the human ear is capable of detecting the difference plugged into a house PA system (after possibly going through several pedals to shape and modify the sound)...?

Let me just say that I know my ear could not.

And I certainly do not have the ear capable of detecting the difference between white and blue paint.
    ----------------------------------
    1980 Guild D40C Sunburst
    20?? Guild AO-3CE (MIM)
    2014 Guild Savoy 150A Sunburst (MIK)

Soundcloud - Cat's In The Crade (D40C)

Did Picasso have a White Period?
    GUILD:1976 F-112
    2001 F-212XL
    1978 G-312
    1990 JF-65 12
    1990 F-512
    TAYLOR: 2002 614 LTD
    2003 600 SPECce 12
    2004 855ce
    2004 855ce all koa
    5 Gibsons, a Goya and a Martin

Back on the topic of Ovation backs and sound.

Bill Kamman , being an engineer, had all sorts of new ways of building things, in the 60s. I believe vibration mapping of various guitars. Taking the backs off of Martins to testing them so they could measure how the tops worked, etc. A lot more testing than guitar builders did back then. What he got with his bowl back and "Lyrachord " material is a back that reflected well and did so with as many ranges of frequency as he could. Many Ovation players like that the notes don't lose something as the go from one end of the neck to the other. It doesn't get dead as the strings bet shorter, I guess. On the down side, people say Ovations can sound sterile. Meaning they don't have any pleasing color to their tone. So, the Ovation back helps amplify and reproduce the frequencies very well, but it doesn't ADD things to the sound. No rosewood "richness", no mahogany " dryness" or "punch" or what ever colorful words we use to differentiate guitar sides and back that are made of wood. I'm, not in that camp. My Ovations do sound different, but not sterile. If I get my lastest one fixed by Mr. Fixit, I'll have more to talk about. In a quick play, I found it was a very loud guitar and did not sound worlds different than my D-55. I'll need a lot more real time with it, but I think it sounds as much like a more traditional guitar than sterile.
    1974 Ovation Legend
    Walden G2070
    G&L Legacy Tribute
    1984 Ovation 1758 12 string
    2010 Guild F47R
    2013 Guild NS X175-B
    1998 Guild Starfire IV
    2008 Prototype D55
    2016 Guild NS X175 Sunburst

Veer..Chocolate sure mattered in this case - we had chocolate Goldendoodles and people lined up to buy them!

This is the one we kept:

"Heat lightning burnt the sky like alcohol." John Prine

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

I was recently reading artical that showed the woods frequency ranges maybe one you read it to . It showed very little difference from the wood types . That got the same response s as posted here lol

I go with the 1% thing posted on page one that's enough for my ear to tell the differences . Lol

But that just made me wonder if there was no difference and back woods matter little how in the heck did they come with tone wood differences in the first place ?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
    Back on the topic of Ovation backs and sound.
    Bill Kamman , being an engineer, had all sorts of new ways of building things, in the 60s.
    I'd be pretty surprised if you didn't know this, but it's possible others here might not.
    Kaman was originally the founder of a helicopter manufacturer:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaman_Aircraft

I remember a popular myth from my youth that the back material was originally a sound-proofing material used in the choppers.
    Same concept reflecting every frequency possible, just in a the opposite direction.
    I call it a myth now, because the last couple of times I tried to confirm this, I was unable to find any corroboration, only a reference to the fact that a Kaman helicopter was the first to use all-composite rotor blades.
    Which does explain Kaman's familiarity with and expertise in the uses of composites.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayk View Post
    But that just made me wonder if there was no difference and back woods matter little how in the heck did they come with tone wood differences in the first place ?

Mass communal hallucinations.
    Last edited by adorshki; 01-29-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

I'd be pretty surprised if you didn't know this,
    I read "The Ovation Book" that is like the Guild book we have hear. In the Ovation Fan Club, since the book was no longer in print, they had copy that got sent to forum members on request and then sent to the next name on the list. One guy made a cool wooden box to put it in , so it wouldn't get messed up in shipping. So, yep. I did know that.

That's also why you would see the folks at New Hartford using non standard clamps and inflated fire hoses to hold things together. They used tools that Charlie though would work better than the traditional stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWB22iSrD98

Check out time spot 9:50. Cleco clamps
    And 14:30 for a pneumatic clamping system
    And 18:12 for the fire hoses
    1974 Ovation Legend
    Walden G2070
    G&L Legacy Tribute
    1984 Ovation 1758 12 string
    2010 Guild F47R
    2013 Guild NS X175-B
    1998 Guild Starfire IV
    2008 Prototype D55