Sean Lennon with a Guild from 1995 - model?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I found this photo in a Life magazine I have - I had totally forgotten about it! Photo is from 1995 - diamond inlays, so that narrows it down quite a bit. No maple sides, so not a D64. Just wondering what model it is...

NM8uhd8l.jpg
[/IMG]

walrus

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The guitar is probably from 1984/85 or something. The appointments look like a Rosewood F-46 but the wood in the soundhole looks like Mahogany...Could be the light.
If it's Maple it would be the F-44...
I give up. That's something for Hans!

Ralf

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ah right, it's not a dreadnought, so my comment about a D64 is meaningless! But that cuts it down a bit more...

walrus

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I want to say F-46 but the headstock looks wider than it should.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I want to say F-46 but the headstock looks wider than it should.
I had the same thoughts about the headstock. But there was a version with the "old" headstock if I recall (disclaimer again...). I think it is the same outline like Eric Clapton was holding in that 1988 (?) ad. I believe it was the F-46 and not already a GF-60R. Talk about Guild naming models....I am just confused as the wood color in the Sean Lennon picture does not look like rosewood.

4834592694_b1fa040f7d.jpg
NM8uhd8l.jpg

So after again zooming in on the soundhole I believe I see the typical figure of tiger stripe maple there! So I would say Sean Lennon is actually holding a mid eighties F-44 and the sides just look darker due to the light.

Ralf

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ralf, that's a good call! I'd say I can see maple on the "top" side lower bout by his right armpit - previously I only looked at the side by the neck and it looks dark.

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I had the same thoughts about the headstock. But there was a version with the "old" headstock if I recall (disclaimer again...). I think it is the same outline like Eric Clapton was holding in that 1988 (?) ad. I believe it was the F-46 and not already a GF-60R. Talk about Guild naming models....I am just confused as the wood color in the Sean Lennon picture does not look like rosewood.

The GF series was already in the 9/15/87 price list:
http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/files/87PL2.jpg
I guess it could be fair to call that "late" 80's.
By "Old" headstock, did you mean the "wide/paddle" type?
As far as I can remember the "snakehead"was a consistent feature of all Gruhn's new designs for Guild.
Or did you mean there were 2 versions of the snakehead?
I've wndered about that myself.
In fact, it looks like Keith7940236's F46 has a virtually identical outline
DSCF2696_zps77a3e571.jpg

to this first-year GF60 on Reverb.
yy6oks12vtvd2pf6rjdv.jpg

So I'm wondering if the perceived difference may be an optical illusion resulting from perspective issues, much like my recent confusion about mid-60's F30 shapes?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I didn't think it looked like a "snakehead", either, but I wonder if it's the "page break" of the magazine making that look odd...

** this might have a been a good opportunity for a Yoko joke, i.e. perhaps her singing and playing piano is affecting the headstock, but I would not think that is appropriate... :numbness:

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I didn't think it looked like a "snakehead", either, but I wonder if it's the "page break" of the magazine making that look odd...
That occurred to me as well, right after I posted.
I think it's page break.

** this might have a been a good opportunity for a Yoko joke, i.e. perhaps her singing and playing piano is affecting the headstock.
walrus
She's playing "We're All Water" and the guitar now thinks it's a dousing rod.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had the same thoughts about the headstock. But there was a version with the "old" headstock if I recall (disclaimer again...).

Ralf

It's kind of funny how we all put disclaimers on our "informational" posts as we're all posting on eggshells hoping to not get Hans'd.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's kind of funny how we all put disclaimers on our "informational" posts as we're all posting on eggshells hoping to not get Hans'ed.

Well the alternative is to follow my examples, write what I think (remember) to be true with an overdose of confidence and then have the fun of watching Hans tell me for the third or fourth time the differences between what he said and what I remembered.

:)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well the alternative is to follow my examples, write what I think (remember) to be true with an overdose of confidence and then have the fun of watching Hans tell me for the third or fourth time the differences between what he said and what I remembered.

:)

Heh - been there!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Where I teach, an exceptional employee (and also a real sweetheart) was mistreated badly by the administration for what appeared to be political reasons only. Whenever this happens to someone, we say they were "Becky'd".

And BTW, I wish Hans would chime in on this thread to clarify the guitar in the photo!

walrus

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
and BTW, I wish Hans would chime in on this thread to clarify the guitar in the photo!

walrus

I sometimes thinks he enjoys giving us enough rope to hang ourselves then swoop in an lay the truth on us. He's a little mischievous that way!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's kind of funny how we all put disclaimers on our "informational" posts as we're all posting on eggshells hoping to not get Hans'd.
I'm willing to go along with "net credibility" in those situations, and it is useful for someone to put up a disclaimer for something they're not 100% certain of, especially for new members who might be trying to learn more about construction details.
Then there's the ongoing issue of realizing our memories ain't what they used to be.
Frono, for example, keeps remembering things that didn't happen, compared to the more common issue of forgetting things that did.
One of the reasons I did so well in school was because of my extremely accurate memory. One gets used to it and assumes it's still as reliable as it was, but in the last 7 or 8 years I've had to accept that what used to be an an almost eidetic memory is now an idiosyncratic one.
:eek-new:
But to the instrument at hand:
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the F44/46 and the GF60's were actually identical in all respects and that the only thing that changed was the model number.
I note the changeover seems to coincide with the ownership change which saw Gruhn leave the company, I wonder if it's connected?
I wonder if Kim Walker had a hand in expanding Gruhn's original F42/44/46 family and this might have created the need for the new "GF" family in order to be able to add the 2 new model numbers?
And in the face of questions like that, if Hans remains silent, I hope it's because the publication of Vol II of the Guild Guitar book is imminent.
Like, this year.
Please?
:glee:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I sometimes thinks he enjoys giving us enough rope to hang ourselves then swoop in an lay the truth on us. He's a little mischievous that way!

NAH - he ain't mischievous - he is like any GOOD teacher, that makes them pupils work, discuss and find things out. Only when they are totally lost he shows direction - sometimes precisely - sometime vaguely.

Most of the time he uses words sparingly - but just today he gave a looooong answer - #5 in http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...uot-designations-quot-how-many-on-your-guitar

Suppose that like others, he has life outside LTG, too :watermelon:

EDIT - horrible thought just crossed my mind - what if he is silent because he does not know - poor chap - imagine us coming up with all kinds of more or less loony ideas - some of the m are piece of cake for him - thus short "correct" or "no way Jose" answer - and the rest send him to internet - libraies - deep dungeons - his shelve - you name it - in desperate search for brilliant answer - all this only to - what???

ya all can fill the "what" with whatever suits you.

Like Al wrote - hopefully it is because of the optimistically near deadline for Guil-Book II

Last edited: