Any f-45 owners out there

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I am kind of toying with the idea of adding a maple to the herd to fulfill my rule of 3 acoustics philosophy.

I came across this one listed gc.com and saw a couple on the verb. Not sure who owns one of these and if anyone can speak to them.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Guild/Vintage-1992-F45-CE-Acoustic-Guitar.gc

This vs. a g-37 ( looking at a few of those too )
I know two different body styles. Just trying to get some general opinions. The oval sound hole is intriguing as well.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I’m a former owner. I had two similar, the all-hog F-15ce and the maple backed F-45ce. I liked the all hog better, but the F-45ce was also a good guitar.
Here’s the video I did comparing the two.

beecee

Reaction score
How can you beat a place like this?????

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I’m a former owner. I had two similar, the all-hog F-15ce and the maple backed F-45ce. I liked the all hog better, but the F-45ce was also a good guitar.
Here’s the video I did comparing the two.

Chris thanks a million for sending this over! Truthfully I liked the maple better to my ears.. All subjective right? Again I appreciate this sir.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Truthfully I liked the maple better to my ears.. All subjective right? Again I appreciate this sir.
Absolutely.
We've got a member here who loves maple too, says it "records the truest".
Funny thing to me, I hear more "jangle" in my F65ce on cell phone recordings than I do in real life.
Even though that guitar's only 3" deep, it's got an arched back too, and you know what they do for a G-37.
Truth to tell, I've got a buddy with a G37 and I think it'll outshine my F65ce, unplugged anyway.
You may already have enough guitar to scratch the maple itch unless you're looking for a different advantage like body shape or a short scale.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Absolutely.
We've got a member here who loves maple too, says it "records the truest".
Funny thing to me, I hear more "jangle" in my F65ce on cell phone recordings than I do in real life.
Even though that guitar's only 3" deep, it's got an arched back too, and you know what they do for a G-37.
Truth to tell, I've got a buddy with a G37 and I think it'll outshine my F65ce, unplugged anyway.
You may already have enough guitar to scratch the maple itch unless you're looking for a different advantage like body shape or a short scale.

Hey Al! I ran across a j65 on the verb too that looked intriguing. I’m not really set on any particular model though a g-37 with chesterfield ( I know that shouldn’t be important ) is high on the list of considerations.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hey Al! I ran across a j65 on the verb too that looked intriguing. I’m not really set on any particular model though a g-37 with chesterfield ( I know that shouldn’t be important ) is high on the list of considerations.

Not sure if you meant "JF65" or it was a typo, but it's been a point of confusion before, they're two different animals.
The JF65 was the "new" name for the F50 starting around '87/'88, when Gruhn was supposedly attempting to "rationalize" the model numbering system.
And I've seen reports here that were some subtle design detail upgrades, but all the "JF" ' were true 17" lower bout jumbos whereas the F65ce was in the 16" lower bout family which got its start with the F54ce you asked about.
I think you'll find the G37'll give a louder fuller acoustic and be more "satisfying" unless you've got an ergonomic reason for liking the 16" jumbo (as I do now).
To be fair there was a time when my F65ce actually out-voiced the D40, when the D40 was new.
But it finally caught up, except both archbacks still sustain for 3 or 4 seconds longer these days, it used to be 7 or 8.