NAMM 2019: New USA-made F-512 Maple and F-55 Maple (formerly F-412 and F-50)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ralf, have you documented any instances of JF-65R-12? That's the first time I've heard of that and it's making my brain hurt even worse! :)

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ralf, have you documented any instances of JF-65R-12? That's the first time I've heard of that and it's making my brain hurt even worse! :)
Not me but Hans had also mentioned it in another thread: "...a JF-65(R)-12, which was made for a very short period during the late '80s, shortly before the (re)introduction of the JF-55-12 ( formerly known as the F-512)."
Ralf

portsider

Reaction score
Looks nice but priced well out of my comfort zone. I’ll console myself with my 69 F412.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Scroll on down to the '87-'89 columns beginning with "JF30" for some real mind-blowing examples of rapid identity changes, with the presence of the JF50/12, the JF65M, and the JF212XL :
http://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/history_of_your_guild.pdf

Not me but Hans had also mentioned it in another thread: "...a JF-65(R)-12, which was made for a very short period during the late '80s, shortly before the (re)introduction of the JF-55-12 ( formerly known as the F-512)."
Ralf
All those permutations you mention (except the JF65M-12, but that could just be one of those s/n list glitches) show up on the s/n lists, it's what actually makes 'em a kind of fascinating read.

There was even a "JF50R"(apparently soon to become JF55) showing on '87 and '88 price lists:
http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/files/88PL2.jpg
Ok, I can see why "JF50", if it had a flat back and they wanted to keep the model numbers different based on back construction, instead of mixing construction methods under a model number.
Of course that only lasted a year and they introduced JF65M and JF65R.
For a year.
Then they finally came to their senses and introduced the JF55 (and -12).
Apparently at this point they realized they were hamstrung and would never be able to come up with a model number for a maple flat-backed 12-string.
Which was probably OK because they'd never built one before, anyway.
And never did until NH with the DD12MCE.

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
Maybe this is a task for PBS's "Finding Your Roots" program.

Would love to see the sprawling printout of Guild's family tree!

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sometimes I think Guild has been their own worst enemy. How on earth do you build long term iconic name recognition when they you keep letting some marketing Bozo convince you how great it would be to change the model names again and confuse the crap out of your most ardent customers.

My sincere apology if I inadvertently insulted any Bozo impersonators or other circus clowns.

However I do acknowledge that the F512, for example, seems to be more iconic in name than the 412. If multiple guitars are indeed constructed almost identically except for the wood species then consolidation of models to the most recognizable makes sense. However, I don’t think this is entirely the case.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I nearly prefer the slope shoulder MIC to the F55. but i think it is the chords he is playing. would have been nice if he played some more standard major chord patterns to really let these guilds ring out. so choppy...

Mark WW

Reaction score
I nearly prefer the slope shoulder MIC to the F55. but i think it is the chords he is playing. would have been nice if he played some more standard major chord patterns to really let these guilds ring out. so choppy...

Yeah his playing did nothing to showcase that guitar. Muffled.