Nearly bought a D25 arched...it was so close, cash was in hand too

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wood, good move. Wait for the perfect D-25 that has either had a neck reset or doesn't need one.

it is looking this way for sure Chaz. again, this is a 2nd Guild dread for the family, since i sold the Cruz, i will always play the Br. but want to get a 2nd for the kids and my wife. :) plenty of time yet...thanks for the encouragement.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
it is looking this way for sure Chaz. again, this is a 2nd Guild dread for the family, since i sold the Cruz, i will always play the Br. but want to get a 2nd for the kids and my wife. :) plenty of time yet...thanks for the encouragement.
Again, buzzing on frets is not something normally associated with a need for reset, quite the opposite: Action becomes way too high, and that's why people shave the saddle, to get it lower.
Check the combined height of bridge and saddle at the D string, right in front of the saddle.
If it's 1/2" +/- maybe about a 32nd, then check the neck alignment with neck adjusted for flat with the strings at tension.
If the straightedge meets the top of the bridge the angle's good, doesn't need a reset, just a taller saddle (or more relief)
The other things that could cause buzzing if the string height at bridge is good and the neck has good alignment is a twisted neck and/or lifting frets.
And is that a 'hog top? I still can't be sure from the pics, too blurry.
But it looks like it's got some figuring I wouldn't expect to see in spruce.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Again, buzzing on frets is not something normally associated with a need for reset, quite the opposite: Action becomes way too high, and that's why people shave the saddle, to get it lower.
Check the combined height of bridge and saddle at the D string, right in front of the saddle.
If it's 1/2" +/- maybe about a 32nd, then check the neck alignment with neck adjusted for flat with the strings at tension.
If the straightedge meets the top of the bridge the angle's good, doesn't need a reset, just a taller saddle (or more relief)
The other things that could cause buzzing if the string height at bridge is good and the neck has good alignment is a twisted neck and/or lifting frets.
And is that a 'hog top? I still can't be sure from the pics, too blurry.
But it looks like it's got some figuring I wouldn't expect to see in spruce.

spruce topped D25 al, sounded incredible. 1976 too though Hans would have to confirm that :)

geoguy

Reaction score
The truss rod might have been over-tightened, resulting in something approaching back-bow of the neck. That would certainly cause buzzing, as would a too-tall fret.

It sounds to me as though this guitar is worth a more-detailed second look.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
. . .
Al, I think this is misleading. It's true, people will shave the saddle and that can actually work effectively if the geometry is preserved. But people also compensate for the resulting high action of a shifted neck by cranking down on the truss rod. This causes buzz because the geometry is wrong after you do that.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The truss rod might have been over-tightened, resulting in something approaching back-bow of the neck. That would certainly cause buzzing, as would a too-tall fret.

It sounds to me as though this guitar is worth a more-detailed second look.

i hope he texts me on sunday, i will drive out again. there was no back bow, i know exactly what you mean there, my former D35 had that on purpose with medium strings, a trick a local luthier did so i would not need to invest $ into the issue it had, worked great.

the bow was definitely in the other direction, so a taller saddle would only raise the action. possible medium gauge strings would lessen the buzzing, but i am a strict .12-.53 guy. the price of this D25 is definitely within the realm of buying it anyway and dealing with the issues later. still, just waiting, mulling it over.

appreciate all your input friends.

beecee

Reaction score
it is looking this way for sure Chaz. again, this is a 2nd Guild dread for the family, since i sold the Cruz, i will always play the Br. but want to get a 2nd for the kids and my wife. :).

Ha!! I'll need to remember that line.

Funny, WW you got me interested in a D-25 flatback with all of his stories over the past few years. Found a nice one quite by accident. Play it weekly.

Now I'm on to the arched back as well.

You are right, two totally different animals. I'm really enjoying my gussied up D-25 (aka D-26).

Price seems very reasonable..to start :)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ha!! I'll need to remember that line.

Funny, WW you got me interested in a D-25 flatback with all of his stories over the past few years. Found a nice one quite by accident. Play it weekly.

Now I'm on to the arched back as well.

You are right, two totally different animals. I'm really enjoying my gussied up D-25 (aka D-26).

Price seems very reasonable..to start :)

oh i hear great things re the D26 becee. nice score there! like a dressed up D25 arched, so you might not need a D25 arched at all, as I think the D26 is one just prettier. ??? I think they were only made for 2 years too. memory bad however. i also keep looking at mellow's 70's D40. that has to be great. i just wish i could get that 1976 D25 across town from me out of my head :)

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
oh i hear great things re the D26 becee. nice score there! like a dressed up D25 arched, so you might not need a D25 arched at all, as I think the D26 is one just prettier. ??? I think they were only made for 2 years too. memory bad however. i also keep looking at mellow's 70's D40. that has to be great. i just wish i could get that 1976 D25 across town from me out of my head :)

Sometimes they get in your head WW..
There was recently a 1988 natural gf30 that was for sale on elderly.com that I kept checking on and didn’t pull the trigger.. now it is gone.
However it has to feel right my man. No doubt yeah mellow g’s d40 is appetizing.. I dig The porous back.

beecee

Reaction score
oh i hear great things re the D26 becee. nice score there! like a dressed up D25 arched, so you might not need a D25 arched at all, . :)

Oh the D26 certainly fills the need! It really is pretty, maybe too pretty.

There is a young man who has a beat up old D-25 who works at GC. Just looks right!!

I like to think of a D-25 like a pair of work boots. They look great when new, (or in great cosmetic shape like the one you're looking at), but they sure do take on a lot of character the more they're used.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Not exactly in your neighborhood, WW, but they do turn up regularly. Looks in very good shape.

https://maine.craigslist.org/msg/d/windham-guild-d25m-acoustic-guitar-ohsc/6799139684.html

(I've heard of the TRC being upside-down, but the case logo?!)

That one looks really nice.. I had a ‘79 D25 arched back for a couple of years and it was probably the best sounding acoustic I’ve ever owned.. it needed a reset and my luthier could not seem to get the neck off of it and he tried like hell. I sold it to a local guy here in Rockwall who is a guild enthusiast for a few hundred.. I am sure he still has it. This one looks to be in really good shape.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've heard of the TRC being upside-down, but the case logo?!
Ha, ha, that's indeed funny!

01414_9Mc4yCNPtWG_1200x900.jpg

Ralf

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well?????

I passed. The guy would not really budge on price considering the work it might need and I didn’t want to drive all way across city to hear it buzz again. 😀. Hanging tight.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I passed. The guy would not really budge on price considering the work it might need and I didn’t want to drive all way across city to hear it buzz again. ��. Hanging tight.

I hear you WW. Probably a good call sir..