Wow! Old GAD

billymox

Reaction score
I've owned several GAD Guilds, regretting selling my GAD-50 Burst but just bought another one, a Burst. I've for several years had the idea that the older "GAD Series" were better than the new "Westerly GAD Series". Example the old GAD-50 vs the new Westerly GAD Series D-150 replacement (same specs). (They took GAD out of the model number, it just says D-150 inside the guitar.) I'm slow to draw conclusions, but I think it's true, the old GAD-50 plays and sounds just wonderful and better, actually not far from a D-55. My GAD-50 is the only guitar I've played for about a month. I like mellow, sing mellow, I put silk strings on it. I hesitate to say, but, well, you can't throw tomatoes at me, but I might enjoy the GAD-50 as much as my Guild DV-62. ~~~

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've owned several GAD Guilds, regretting selling my GAD-50 Burst but just bought another one, a Burst. I've for several years had the idea that the older "GAD Series" were better than the new "Westerly GAD Series". Example the old GAD-50 vs the new Westerly GAD Series D-150 replacement (same specs). (They took GAD out of the model number, it just says D-150 inside the guitar.) I'm slow to draw conclusions, but I think it's true, the old GAD-50 plays and sounds just wonderful and better, actually not far from a D-55. My GAD-50 is the only guitar I've played for about a month. I like mellow, sing mellow, I put silk strings on it. I hesitate to say, but, well, you can't throw tomatoes at me, but I prefer the GAD-50 over my Guild DV-62.

When/if you want to sell your DV 62, keep me in mind please.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've owned several GAD Guilds, regretting selling my GAD-50 Burst but just bought another one, a Burst. I've for several years had the idea that the older "GAD Series" were better than the new "Westerly GAD Series". Example the old GAD-50 vs the new Westerly GAD Series D-150 replacement (same specs). (They took GAD out of the model number, it just says D-150 inside the guitar.)
I'll assume you're using the GAD name generically to denote the MIC guilds, but there have actually been 3 generations of what you call "GAD"'s, now, and in fact only 2 actual "Guild Acoustic Design" generations, the original "GAD" series and the "100" series which did away with the GAD prefix and used the "1" in front of the model number.
Although Cordoba's Westerly Collection uses the previous GAD "100" series numbers and are built in the same factory, there are detail and spec differences.
For that matter there were also detail and spec differences between the 2 original GAD generations which might account for the difference you perceive.

I'm slow to draw conclusions, but I think it's true, the old GAD-50 plays and sounds just wonderful and better, actually not far from a D-55. My GAD-50 is the only guitar I've played for about a month. I like mellow, sing mellow, I put silk strings on it. I hesitate to say, but, well, you can't throw tomatoes at me, but I prefer the GAD-50 over my Guild DV-62.

It's not a fair comparo until you put silks on the '62, too.
:glee:

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
I feel exonerated loving my Madeira all these years!

I played a GAD 30 burst recently and really enjoyed it......... and it was soooo pretty.

It was a wonderfully assembled guitar..(to paraphrase Al). And sounded superb-o.

It has all of the highlights, material wise, as my D-70 including the wood binding,

Yeah 1st gen GAD's are pretty cool

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As has been said, tone is in the ear of the beholder but you got one thing wrong. We can throw all the tomatoes we like. It's fun!!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
As has been said, tone is in the ear of the beholder but you got one thing wrong. We can throw all the tomatoes we like. It's fun!!
Sorry Tom, we got a peach :peach:, a watermelon :watermelon:, an apple :apple:, a kiwi :kiwi-fruit: (no not Coastie), and even a cupcake :cupcake:; but no tomato, although "mad-new" :mad-new: might do in a pinch, at least it's red (and is after all why tomatoes generally get thrown, even).
NOW you just have to hit the target..
:abnormal:

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
i was this close to buying GAD 50 burst back in 2007 or 08. it was awesome. huge tone.

Mark WW

Reaction score
I love the way my GAD40ce plays and sounds. I looked at acoustics for a year before buying it. I can not compare it to a US made but I do have a recent Westerly OM-140 which is a different style altogether. The only thing I don't like on the 40ce is the cutaway. Just a personal thing. I rarely play up there anyway. It makes me dizzy.

Congrats on the 50. Does yours have the ebony board?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats!!! I have owned a few early series gads and I have enjoyed them all!! I had a GAD50 a few years back that had some serious issues but it was a real shame because it was a tone machine and was really pretty.

beecee

Reaction score
I've owned several GAD Guilds, regretting selling my GAD-50 Burst but just bought another one, a Burst. ~~~

Did yours come with the original tweed case?

I know some don't like then but I think they're cool.

Mark WW

Reaction score

billymox

Reaction score
mine also came with a tweed case. It isn't like extremely strong high quality, but I guess it's original and it is rather cool, and different. If someone wants it, I'll let it go, special winter sale price $399...

Last edited: