Pickup Selector

theonemanband

Reaction score
Hi,

So, I’ve had my new Starfire 1V/ST-12string for about three weeks now and am going to use it on a gig for the first time this week. It really is an absolutely fabulous instrument, first class build and with so many tone variations and this is where I would like some advice/opinions.

This is the first time I have come across a the pickup switch configeration where either volume pot set to zero negates the overall volume also.

Do most players out there generally use their Guilds with the pickup selector usually set to centre (both pickups on) and then dial in the volume/tones required, or use each pickup seperately or both?

As I said, this is my first time with a dedicated electric guitar, so I am just interested to know how you good folks dial in your tones.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
When you say that either pot set to zero negates the overall volume, I assume you mean in the middle position. This behavior is a result of how the electronics are wired.

As for how to use the controls, every player comes to term with them on their own. Every guitar is different, too. I have a Guild X170 where the entire range of all four controls is wonderfully toneful. The S300A-D I had for years pretty much stayed on 10 at all times and I never used the middle position. I have a Les Paul that was an "always on 10" guitar until I replaced the pots and now it's filled with tonal variety.

To sum up, I think like most things in life, it depends.

theonemanband

Reaction score
When you say that either pot set to zero negates the overall volume, I assume you mean in the middle position. This behavior is a result of how the electronics are wired.

As for how to use the controls, every player comes to term with them on their own. Every guitar is different, too. I have a Guild X170 where the entire range of all four controls is wonderfully toneful. The S300A-D I had for years pretty much stayed on 10 at all times and I never used the middle position. I have a Les Paul that was an "always on 10" guitar until I replaced the pots and now it's filled with tonal variety.

To sum up, I think like most things in life, it depends.

Yes sorry, I should have been more specific. That’s exactly it, I cannot understand why, with the selector set to middle position, if one volume pot is reduced to zero, it cancels out the other one out and there is no output at all.

As you say, I will eventually figure out the best settings for me but was just wondering the reasoning behind this middle position.

Thank you for your post!

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The middle selector position vol. ‘0’ wiring is actually a reall good thing, at least in my opinion. This gives an infinite variety of tones. Try one vol. on 10, and then bring the other PU in. If you mess with it some, I think you’ll see the potential.
Good luck with the gig!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes sorry, I should have been more specific. That’s exactly it, I cannot understand why, with the selector set to middle position, if one volume pot is reduced to zero, it cancels out the other one out and there is no output at all.

As you say, I will eventually figure out the best settings for me but was just wondering the reasoning behind this middle position.

Thank you for your post!

The behavior you describe is a result of what is called "coupled wiring" and has to do with the way in which the pickups are connected to the volume pots. Modern Les Pauls are coupled, for example. My Guild S300 (http://www.gad.net/Blog/2017/03/26/1981-guild-s300/) was not. It's really a very different experience when you're used to one and then encounter the other.