Custom Shop p90 staple pickups on a 60's era x-500?

onerailunder

Reaction score
Dog eared Staple P-90s are probably gonna have the mounting screw fall in the cavity for the humbucker pickup adjustment screw. I'm not sure if the covers of the dog eared variety would entirely cover the hole/route for the humbucker.

Staple P-90s don't really sound like other P-90s. They're a bit more like a strat neck pickup. Kinda bell like and cleaner.

There are plenty of humbucker sized P-90s though, if you wanna go that route.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Which you will have to route the pickup cavities out, since the minibuckers are not Gibson sized. Either way, you will have to cut the top, which will effect resale value, fwiw.

matsickma

Reaction score
Twangy P90! Kind of sounds like DeArmonds.

Has anyone ever seen the inserts on the Bigsby strings placed in front of the bridge before?
I would like to know where to get some of those.
I often stuff a piece of a guitar polishing rag under the strings when playing with that type of guildsby or even a SF4 harp stop. I had considered making a mute type bridge to mount behind the intonation bridge. Kind of like using the mute pads on a '65 Jaguar but instead of muting the normal string tones use it to mute the high sympathetic vibrations between bridge and stop.

M

rshinn32

Reaction score
Oh awesome! The phat stables are exactly what I need. I didn't realize they made those.

Thanks so much!

Richard

DThomasC

Reaction score
It seems I'm always the one to piss in the pool (I can't help it), but wouldn't a 60's X-500 have minihums?

I would contact the custom shop and talk it over with them.

FWIW, I think that TV Jones T'Armonds with the English mount would fit in the existing minihum mounting rings. They're not staples exactly, but they're very close....

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
It seems I'm always the one to piss in the pool (I can't help it), but wouldn't a 60's X-500 have minihums?

I would contact the custom shop and talk it over with them.

FWIW, I think that TV Jones T'Armonds with the English mount would fit in the existing minihum mounting rings. They're not staples exactly, but they're very close....

Good catch. The HB1s came out in 1970 as I recall. Need to see the actual guitar to know what's what.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Look for an early 60's X500 with factory DeArmonds. It'll sound similar, and you won't have to modify a vintage guitar.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of folks that like those HB-style staple pickups, but I've never seen anyone claim they were a very good facsimile of actual Gibson staple pole pickups. Given how different the construction/architecture is, I can see why.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Twangy P90! Kind of sounds like DeArmonds.

Has anyone ever seen the inserts on the Bigsby strings placed in front of the bridge before?
I would like to know where to get some of those.
I often stuff a piece of a guitar polishing rag under the strings when playing with that type of guildsby or even a SF4 harp stop. I had considered making a mute type bridge to mount behind the intonation bridge. Kind of like using the mute pads on a '65 Jaguar but instead of muting the normal string tones use it to mute the high sympathetic vibrations between bridge and stop.

M
Some Gretsch's have those.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-60s-Gretsch-MUTE-system-PARTS-/362520635053

But maybe you're talking about that add on thingamuhbobber that's an independent mute to place on top?

Check out this thread on the Gretsch pages.

swiveltung

Reaction score
Here's what I did to put P90's in my Gretsch recently. No added holes to the guitar. It appears an X500 has enough distance between the guitar top and strings to do it also. They are not height adjustable but P90's like being a bit away from the strings anyway. Hope this makes sense. You'd need adaptor plates that the hole pattern fits your X500 holes... not sure if they are available. You might be able to just use your existing plates if they are minis?

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score

I use a piece of black spongy material cut from a cup holder I got as swag at a guitar show long ago. :) It threads between the strings, kinda Johnny Cash style, but behind the bridge and in front of the Bigsby. I've had a couple guitars where the strings in that area liked to ring.

-Dave-