Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FMIC announces Acquisition of Bigsby

FMIC announces Acquisition of Bigsby

Thought this might be interesting.
    Ralf

SCOTTSDALE, ARIZ. (JANUARY 8, 2019) — Fender® Musical Instruments Corp (FMIC) announced on January 8 the acquisition of the Bigsby® brand and its assets from Fred Gretsch Enterprises.
    The Gretsch family and FMIC have a longstanding relationship and have partnered to ensure that the transition of the business is a smooth one.
    “We are excited to acquire Bigsby® and add to our esteemed portfolio of specialty brands.” said Jeff Cary, Senior Vice President of FMIC Specialty Brands. “There is such a rich history with the vibratos, and a mystique around the guitars, pedals and steel instruments that is fascinating. Fred and Dinah Gretsch have been wonderful owners and we look forward to working with them to ensure a smooth transition.”
    “Paul Bigsby, Ted McCarty, Dinah and Fred Gretsch and Fender Musical Instruments Corp. all have one thing in common, an unquestioning dedication to product excellence over the long haul,” said Fred Gretsch. “We congratulate team Fender on this strategic acquisition.”
    Bigsby® vibrato tailpieces have a long history that dates back to the earliest days of the modern electric guitar. Wildly popular with guitarists as an aftermarket product, the vibratos are featured on a wide range of instruments as original equipment offered by dozens of guitar manufacturers around the world.
    Bigsby® will continue to run as a standalone business under FMIC’s Specialty Brands. Orders, inquiries or questions should be directed to Jeff Krause (JKrause@fender.com), who will be leading the business out of the FMIC Scottsdale, Ariz., office.

FMIC is currently working with a team in Pooler, Ga., to integrate the business into its systems before moving it physically to a new location.
    # # #

Source: http://www.bigsby.com/vibe/2019/01/1...ion-of-bigsby/

Quote Originally Posted by SFIV1967 View Post
    FMIC is currently working with a team in Pooler, Ga., to integrate the business into its systems before moving it physically to a new location.
    # # #
    WHERE have I heard this before?
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

I can't be enthousiastic when a corporate conglomerate buys up yet another privately owned company. And also - Paul Bigsby must be cursing from his grave.

-1960 CE100D
    -1961 Starfire III Special
    -1962 X175
    -1963X175
    -2011 F47R
    -2015 Newark Street X175 BLK

Well what's really interesting / concerning is that FMIC was shedding brands a few years ago -- as we all know. I guess they're back in acquisition mode.
    Guilds:
    1967 MK-VI Artist Special (Hoboken - Jacobs restoration 2018) - "The Mark"
    12ers:
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Other 12ers:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655

FMIC may have judged that having ready access to Bigsby vibrato units was necessary for enough of their guitars (particularly the Gretsch line) that they didn't want to risk Bigsby being owned by one of their competitors.

Guild wasn't so indispensable.
    several Guilds, one Gretsch, one Taylor, & a Squire CV tele

Not sure if Gretsch is a Fender competitor. The Gretsch family does still own the company but Fender has most of the control over marketing, production, and distribution of guitars since 2002. Unless there's been a recent change.
    Dave

1989 D-25
    1990 D-30
    2003 S-7CE
    2011 D-50 Std
    2013 DD-6RCE
    2014 Orpheum 12FSHM

1996 Taylor 555
    2010 Jacobs Jagcaster
    2013 Martin 000-28EC
    2013 G&L Tribute JB2
    2017 Jacobs Strat

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1018446

Quote Originally Posted by dapmdave View Post
    Not sure if Gretsch is a Fender competitor. The Gretsch family does still own the company but Fender has most of the control over marketing, production, and distribution of guitars since 2002. Unless there's been a recent change.
    Sounds to me like it's still that way:
    Quote Originally Posted by SFIV1967 View Post
    “Paul Bigsby, Ted McCarty, Dinah and Fred Gretsch and Fender Musical Instruments Corp. all have one thing in common, an unquestioning dedication to product excellence over the long haul,” said Fred Gretsch. “We congratulate team Fender on this strategic acquisition.”

Quote Originally Posted by geoguy View Post
    FMIC may have judged that having ready access to Bigsby vibrato units was necessary for enough of their guitars (particularly the Gretsch line) that they didn't want to risk Bigsby being owned by one of their competitors.
    One's gotta wonder who they'd be worried about "losing" 'em to.
    Gibson?
    Oh, waitaminnit...maybe an offshore competitor.
    Guild wasn't so indispensable.
    To be fair I think it was an issue of profitability of Guild when Fender was on the ropes and needed to sell something AND reduce the cost footprint.
    Suspect they actually picked up some equity on the deal.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by dapmdave View Post
    I meant that FMIC wouldn't have wanted to risk needing to purchase vibratos from a competitor, for example if Gibson had bought Bigsby.
    several Guilds, one Gretsch, one Taylor, & a Squire CV tele

I meant that FMIC wouldn't have wanted to risk needing to purchase vibratos from a competitor, for example if Gibson had bought Bigsby.
    I see, said the blind man.
    Dave

1989 D-25
    1990 D-30
    2003 S-7CE
    2011 D-50 Std
    2013 DD-6RCE
    2014 Orpheum 12FSHM

1996 Taylor 555
    2010 Jacobs Jagcaster
    2013 Martin 000-28EC
    2013 G&L Tribute JB2
    2017 Jacobs Strat

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1018446

Now waiting for the Bigsby equipped Stratocaster!
    1959 T-100 DP
    1968 CE-100 DP
    1976 BluesBird M-75