An Opportunity Presented Itself

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yesterday, I had an opportunity to share lunch with two local guitarists. I picked up Johnny G. (the living in poverty former student and amazing guitar finger picker) and Chris Bozung (the builder of, some of the finest acoustic guitars being built today and a very good guitar player himself).
When I got to Johnny G's he came out with one of his five gallon water containers and put it in the back of the truck. We pick up Chris Bozung about 30 minutes later and I go through introductions. At lunch, they talked about different kinds of music and different playing styles. I just listened--isn't that what you do when you cannot add to the conversation. After lunch, we headed back to Chris's shop. On arrival Chris invited us into his shop and Johnny G. had to grab a quick smoke. It's January- so Chris and I went on into his shop. Chris said to me, "just finished repairing that 50s Kay archtop on the table and Johnny is welcome to play it if he wants." I told Chris to just tell him when he came in.
When Johnny came in Chris told him, "there's an old KAY on the table that I just repaired and put a new set of strings on and it could use some playing if you'd like." Johnny G. removed his glasses and cigarettes from his shirt pocket and picked up the old Kay.
Of course he had to do a "little" tuning and then began his five finger pickin'. He played a couple he had written and a three or four we knew. Johnny G. was pickin' and I was grinnin' and Chris was watching Johnny's fingers like a Redtail hawk watching a haystack.
When he finished picking, Chris told him he played the same style as his friend, the late Pete Huttlinger. Chris said, Pete would have loved meeting you and picking with you.
What a great way to spend two and a half hours!
O, yeh, we stopped at a friends house and got five gallons of water.

beecee

Reaction score
I cleaned my bedroom today.

Very jealous.

What a great day for you!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....Johnny G. was pickin' and I was grinnin' and Chris was watching Johnny's fingers like a Redtail hawk watching a haystack.....

Well, didn't you pull out your harmonica or anything? :tiger:

Yeah, sounds like a great afternoon. :encouragement:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, didn't you pull out your harmonica or anything? :tiger:

Yeah, sounds like a great afternoon. :encouragement:
LOL! No, just like lunch coversation--nothing I could add so I just enjoyed the company and pickin'.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm real proud of you Shelby (not that it means all that much) for trying to look out after Johnny G and help guide him along the way. He's lucky to have you as a friend and mentor.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm real proud of you Shelby (not that it means all that much) for trying to look out after Johnny G and help guide him along the way. He's lucky to have you as a friend and mentor.
Just "passing it on." Cannot count the people who have encouraged me.
And I got a couple large packages from another "well wisher."

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
. . . is water code for moonshine?

Think not . In previous Johnny-thread it was made clear, that johnny's place doesn't have running water.

If I wasn't beyond the pond, I could send some stuff, too, like a small nice amp or . . .

Is there a PayPal-account to send a little help for Johnny? johnny B Good ? ? ?

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
great story Stu! is water code for moonshine?
No moonshine involved and Nuuska is correct-Johnny G's water supply. No accounts of any kind and I am not going to let him starve or freeze. Richard has been more than generous and Johnny G is now playing a Guild D240E with Roland amp.
I was with him around lunch today and setup some work around my shop for Thursday. I do not think
the cold, heat, proper food, health care, or cleanliness is his biggest battle. I think his biggest battle is loneliness! It is hard for me to imagine not being around people and isolated in poverty conditions.
But he has his music and that is what gets him through day after day. I would say he could discuss music with most anyone.
He is, highly, opinionated and has given intelligent thoughts to his opinions. To his credit, "he can take it as well as dish it out."
If you are ever around Nashville, get in touch with me as he is, definitely, worth the meet.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Think not . In previous Johnny-thread it was made clear, that johnny's place doesn't have running water.

If I wasn't beyond the pond, I could send some stuff, too, like a small nice amp or . . .

Is there a PayPal-account to send a little help for Johnny? johnny B Good ? ? ?

ah, i never read the previous thread, i will delete my comment as i did not understand fully the scenario. sorry Stu. still, great story.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
ah, i never read the previous thread, i will delete my comment as i did not understand fully the scenario. sorry Stu. still, great story.
Been around moonshine all my life and you were "right on" with your analogy. Sorry I mislead you and have enjoyed many of your soundclouds.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Been around moonshine all my life and you were "right on" with your analogy. Sorry I mislead you and have enjoyed many of your soundclouds.

thanks Stu! does this guy Johnny have a guitar?

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
thanks Stu! does this guy Johnny have a guitar?
Yes, several on the forum have reached out to Johnny G. and Richard in Barton City, MI was the quickest. He shipped him a guitar and amp-both in like new condition. He plays and writes all time--no lyrics just melody. Not weird melody but my guess is - very complicated.

b0rn2w0rsh1p

Reaction score
Asheville, NC (prev: Casper, Wy & FL Gulf Coast)
Wow! Yes - as many others stated, didn't get to this post until today; a great Christmas story. You mentioned Church, Stu - have you talked to Johnny about his religious beliefs, and is he open? A decent set of clothes (clean jeans and a crew neck in these parts) and a shower after working with you on a Saturday, and maybe you can introduce him to your Pastor and/or worship leader. Some churches I've attended included "Specials" where either one of the ladies and a "Track" or sometimes the piano player would play solo as a "Special" musical interlude. I know I would love to hear his rendition of anything from a hymnal, or from CCM choices!

A coworker and I were discussing the great and innovative music from the late '60s and early '70s - and he asked where have all the great musicians gone... so I played some Phil Keaggy, Randy Stonehill and from the Invention CD (Phil Keaggy, Wes King and Scott Dente') - 'nough said.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
In my humble opinion, what Stu and richardp have already done for Johnny convey the love and compassion of Christ far more effectively than taking him to church would. And I'm not anti-church, in fact I'm the music director at our church. It just seems to me that rather than take Johnny to church, they've brought the church to Johnny.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In my humble opinion, what Stu and richardp have already done for Johnny convey the love and compassion of Christ far more effectively than bringing him to church would. And I'm not anti-church, in fact I'm the music director at our church.

Exactly! What me and my family I learning now. Again, wonderful encouraging story.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Of course, anybody who is anybody got their start in church gospel music!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Of course, anybody who is anybody got their start in church gospel music!
Lots of famous stars for sure. He started with his immediate family.
His father played the "Banger" with mother played rhythm guitar, his older brother played lead guitar, and uncle played the fiddle. At 8 years old, Johnny could play guitar good enough but they didn't need another guitar player so he played the "spoons." Their band made the NASHVILLE TENNESSEAN magazine section in late 60s.
Spent last Thursday afternoon with him and, of course, had to go in and see "what I just wrote last night." His other songs are, amazingly, good but this one spoke to my ears and soul.
If most songs have 4-8 chords or fewer-his have 20 plus. No lyrics just beautiful melody.