Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Opportunity Presented Itself

An Opportunity Presented Itself

Yesterday, I had an opportunity to share lunch with two local guitarists. I picked up Johnny G. (the living in poverty former student and amazing guitar finger picker) and Chris Bozung (the builder of, some of the finest acoustic guitars being built today and a very good guitar player himself).
    When I got to Johnny G's he came out with one of his five gallon water containers and put it in the back of the truck. We pick up Chris Bozung about 30 minutes later and I go through introductions. At lunch, they talked about different kinds of music and different playing styles. I just listened--isn't that what you do when you cannot add to the conversation. After lunch, we headed back to Chris's shop. On arrival Chris invited us into his shop and Johnny G. had to grab a quick smoke. It's January- so Chris and I went on into his shop. Chris said to me, "just finished repairing that 50s Kay archtop on the table and Johnny is welcome to play it if he wants." I told Chris to just tell him when he came in.
    When Johnny came in Chris told him, "there's an old KAY on the table that I just repaired and put a new set of strings on and it could use some playing if you'd like." Johnny G. removed his glasses and cigarettes from his shirt pocket and picked up the old Kay.
    Of course he had to do a "little" tuning and then began his five finger pickin'. He played a couple he had written and a three or four we knew. Johnny G. was pickin' and I was grinnin' and Chris was watching Johnny's fingers like a Redtail hawk watching a haystack.
    When he finished picking, Chris told him he played the same style as his friend, the late Pete Huttlinger. Chris said, Pete would have loved meeting you and picking with you.
    What a great way to spend two and a half hours!
    O, yeh, we stopped at a friends house and got five gallons of water.
    1971 Guild D40 "Guild Guitar Inc" label SN 55360
    2001 Chris Bozung Rosewood Dred - Antique Sunburst - "A Dozen Roses"
    2011 Chris Bozung CB "45" Brazilian Rosewood Dread

Great memories!
    "Heat lightning burnt the sky like alcohol." John Prine

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

I cleaned my bedroom today.

Very jealous.

What a great day for you!
    NH 2011 D-40 Standard
    NH 2014 Orpheum 000-12 Fret SH Hog
    NH 2010 F-412
    NH 2010 F-512
    NH 2012 F-30R Standard

Westerly Songbird
    Westerly JF-30-12
    Westerly 1976 F-212
    Westerly 1971 D-25 CH
    Westerly 1982 D-70
    Westerly F4CE
    Westerly 1996 D-26...D for damaged by dummies

Westerly Series OM-140 SB

Ibanez V-302

Madeira A-2...(don't laugh!)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    ....Johnny G. was pickin' and I was grinnin' and Chris was watching Johnny's fingers like a Redtail hawk watching a haystack.....
    Well, didn't you pull out your harmonica or anything?

Yeah, sounds like a great afternoon.
    2011 Guild F50R Sunburst
    2002 Guild JF30-12 Sunburst
    1991 Guild JF30-12 Ltd. Ed. Wood Grain Blue
    2018 Gibson Ltd. Ed. Songwriter Deluxe 12-string
    2015 Martin GPC12PA4 12-string

1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
    2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Well, didn't you pull out your harmonica or anything?

Yeah, sounds like a great afternoon.
    LOL! No, just like lunch coversation--nothing I could add so I just enjoyed the company and pickin'.

I'm real proud of you Shelby (not that it means all that much) for trying to look out after Johnny G and help guide him along the way. He's lucky to have you as a friend and mentor.
    '75 D 40 C
    '18 D 40T Custom
    '14 D 55
    '98 D 60
    '64 D 50 Braz. RW
    '86 D 66
    '81 D 70
    '94 DV 72
    '94 DV 73
    '00 F30R
    '10 F 40 GSR Cocobolo
    '12 F 47 GSR KC
    '08 F 50R
    '09 F 50
    '74 D 55-12
    '07 F 412 X 2
    '74 F 512
    '72 F-612
    '83 G 45
    '87 GF 50R
    '95 JF 100 NAT CRV
    '14 000 Orpheum 12 fret
    '13&'14 Orpheum Jumbo
    '97 45th Anniv. #45
    '03 D 55 50th Anniv. #23
    '13 F 30 60th Anniv. #17
    '64 S 50
    '57 X 175
    '70's M 75 CS
    '69 Studio 402
    '98 SF 2
    '81 SF 4
    '67 SF 5
    '67 SF 12
    Blues 90X2

Quote Originally Posted by richardp69 View Post
    I'm real proud of you Shelby (not that it means all that much) for trying to look out after Johnny G and help guide him along the way. He's lucky to have you as a friend and mentor.
    Just "passing it on." Cannot count the people who have encouraged me.
    And I got a couple large packages from another "well wisher."

Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    . . . is water code for moonshine?

Think not . In previous Johnny-thread it was made clear, that johnny's place doesn't have running water.

If I wasn't beyond the pond, I could send some stuff, too, like a small nice amp or . . .

Is there a PayPal-account to send a little help for Johnny? johnny B Good ? ? ?
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    Bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - S-60D - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    great story Stu! is water code for moonshine?
    No moonshine involved and Nuuska is correct-Johnny G's water supply. No accounts of any kind and I am not going to let him starve or freeze. Richard has been more than generous and Johnny G is now playing a Guild D240E with Roland amp.
    I was with him around lunch today and setup some work around my shop for Thursday. I do not think
    the cold, heat, proper food, health care, or cleanliness is his biggest battle. I think his biggest battle is loneliness! It is hard for me to imagine not being around people and isolated in poverty conditions.
    But he has his music and that is what gets him through day after day. I would say he could discuss music with most anyone.
    He is, highly, opinionated and has given intelligent thoughts to his opinions. To his credit, "he can take it as well as dish it out."
    If you are ever around Nashville, get in touch with me as he is, definitely, worth the meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuska View Post
    Think not . In previous Johnny-thread it was made clear, that johnny's place doesn't have running water.

If I wasn't beyond the pond, I could send some stuff, too, like a small nice amp or . . .

Is there a PayPal-account to send a little help for Johnny? johnny B Good ? ? ?
    ah, i never read the previous thread, i will delete my comment as i did not understand fully the scenario. sorry Stu. still, great story.
    Wood

1971 D25--The Br
    1973 D35--Jalopy

https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/sets/not-metal