Ngd f-112!

beecee

Reaction score
Last week I posted a thread poking fun at GC for having an F-112 for sale with ten strings and 11 bridge pins...way to market that stuff huh??

There was also a bad reflection on the back upper bout which would lead anyone to believe there was a rather large crack between body and binding.

It came in Monday and I've been out of town until today, so it was nice and warm when I went to pick it up. Which is good, considering it is 10 degrees out today.

Look at the back of the neck where the bass side truss rod would be located. I think there may be a small truss rod crack.

Have one of those experts look at it and run there hand over it and see if they feel a crack before they ship it.

I heeded Gilded's advice and they said there was nothing. Hmmm.

zPgw2NB.jpg
[/IMG]

DvbmaUf.jpg
[/IMG]

Other than this the guitar is in amazing shape for it's age except the darned tuners require a set of vice grips. Then again, I was in the cold quite a bit today, could be the frost bite.

One thing is odd. The fret board sides change color at the junction with the top. See here

uILBYAd.jpg
[/IMG]

Lovely grain

a>

beecee

Reaction score
The serrated appearance on the neck is am illusion, just the crack is present. The back of the headstock has smudges, not cracks

zPgw2NB.jpg
[/IMG]

So how big of an issue is this?

There is a slight bridge lift in front and the action is a tad high but more than acceptable.

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
Ok, I hate to ask but I'd rather sound stupid than do more damage. I've never had to adjust my JF-30-12 or F-212 so I am not all that familiar w/double truss rods

When I get home I will take off the TRC as I'd like to take a little relief out of the neck. There is a good amount present.

I lay the guitar down and I will be facing it from the headstock with the lower bout furthest away from me.

Do I turn them bass side or do I turn them treble side. (So much easier for me than left vs right).

I promise I will reinstall the TRC upside down.

Br1ck

Reaction score
You have a return right, don't you? Have it checked out by a luthier. The F 112 is my favorite Guild 12 string.

wileypickett

Reaction score
The change in color where the neck meets the body is an indication that the back of the neck was resprayed with a darker color at some point, possibly to hide the truss rod cracks? Whoever did the work masked off the parts of the body they didn't want darkened but did bother about the sides of the fretboard above the 14th fret. Are the bass side fret marker dots still visible?

Not sure what can be done about the truss rod cracks. I've never heard of anyone effectively repairing them.

beecee

Reaction score
Bass side dots are still there all the way down

4l2jgoN.jpg
[/IMG]

love the background!!!

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You have a return right, don't you? Have it checked out by a luthier.
Second this.
And don't touch the trusses until you do.
The cracks are caused by extreme unequal tension between 'em or and/or over-torqueing.
If you are attempting to reduce relief that means you're attempting to tighten 'em yet further. (Iintroduce back-bow)
The reason for the 2 rods was to compensate for the extreme difference in tension between the treble and bass sides of the neck.
Ideally the bass side would have had a little more torque (backbow).
Like Wiley, I've never heard of a viable fix for it.
Maybe PM Mavuser who has 2 F112's and GUILDFS4612ce (Jane) who was the first person I ever saw point out that problem many years ago, to see if they know of anything.
Back then Jane indicated it was a fatal problem, "IIRC".
Sorry to be a downer but if there's any hope I'd get the patient to a doctor first.

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
Sorry to be a downer but if there's any hope I'd get the patient to a doctor first.\

Good input. I may go tomorrow. But probably going to just drop it back off. Pity, pretty otherwise and sure sounds nice.

beecee

Reaction score
HOLD THE PRESSES:

Check this out. I merely tapped the crack a few times with my index finger...like you would to listen to a crack on the sound board, a ripe coconut (or AL's head)...and 3-4 pieces of lacquer popped off and the crack is much more noticeable.

Hmmm, probably should detune

z9mPbsO.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks like wileypicket nailed it!!!

Back she goes.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be a downer but if there's any hope I'd get the patient to a doctor first.\

Good input. I may go tomorrow. But probably going to just drop it back off. Pity, pretty otherwise and sure sounds nice.

And for future reference, when facing the rods from the headstock end, it's the traditional "Righty (clockwise) tighty, lefty loose-y"
The trick with 12-ers is getting the balance right between 'em.
:friendly_wink:

PS: Just tapped my head a couple of times.
It does sound like a coconut!

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
And for future reference, when facing the rods from the headstock end, it's the traditional "Righty (clockwise) tighty, lefty loose-y"

or bass-side tighty treble loosey.

Don't ask why that is easier for me to remember

beecee

Reaction score
I would like to thank Gilded and Wiley for taking their time to look and their honest observations on this guitar.

And of course Al for his wealth of info.

I apologize if I ask basic questions but the knowledge base here is just incredible....only matched by the willingness of the members to share.

Thanks!

F312

Reaction score
Your learning somethimg new on the guitar neck.

Ralph