Ngd f-112!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Today 07:04 PM
Hmm you all know I'm on out in left field . I don't think that's from the truss rod but I'd need to check the depth of the crack to better understand .
It could be just a weak spot in the wood which from temp fluxes over the yrs became to much . Maybe lol

If it was me I'd wheel and deal my *** off then start planning the repair.

The top looks amazing how does she sound ?

If you can get a good deal I feel it's totally repairable but if the neck to far gone all that means it's time for a new one lol

I know I'm nuts but like Neal I like basket cases. I also have a friend in California unfortunately his health is not to good but he has been doing mind blowing neck repairs that most all would have said "not possible" I follow his lead, one amazing guy !

Just food for thought !
If you send it back PM me your price paid if it's ok . 😁

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
thats a shame. criminal that whoever sold u that at GC did not disclose. unless it happened during shipping. it might be playable still for a long time, and I dont mind action a touch highr than most, but most of us would return it in that condition.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Today 07:04 PM
Hmm you all know I'm on out in left field.
NO prob, how's the weather out there?
:smile:

I don't think that's from the truss rod but I'd need to check the depth of the crack to better understand .
It could be just a weak spot in the wood which from temp fluxes over the yrs became to much . Maybe lol
Ray, we've only ever seen cracks on the back of Guild 12-string necks, that I can recall, anyway.
I've never seen a crack like that on the back of any other kind of Guild neck.
That I can recall, anyway.

If you can get a good deal I feel it's totally repairable but if the neck to far gone all that means it's time for a new one lol
Right, all ya gotta do is pop off the fretboard and get the rods out of the heelblock so you can access the truss channel(s) for inspection.
Hell maybe just pop 'em out with a crowbar, it's a GUILD, it's built like a tank, it can handle it.
After confirming it really is a crack right through to the truss channel I'd pull out my trusty ol' Dremel, and, doing my best impersonation of a dentist, proceed to open it up just like a cavity being prepped for a filling.
NO need to skimp on filling material BTW, marine epoxy is cheap, weatherproof, and best of all, extremely durable.
It IS a 12-string neck, after all.
If you really want to spare no expense then you may even want to spring for some good ol' JB Weld ExtremeHeat:
81PcSTE3TSL._SY879_.jpg

But the marine epoxy will take the stain better.
For the aesthetic-minded.
After that just glue that fretboard back down.
(Don't forget to re-install the truss rods).
Best of all you don't even have to take the neck off to do this.
And yes if one should decide all that's a bit outside their comfort zone, well then just snag one of those rescue dog or NOS necks on eBay like that one that popped up back in '09.
Or for those just champin' at the bit, try StewMac:
Sipo_Mahogany_Neck_Blank_for_Electric_or_Archtop_Guitar.jpg

And just yesterday Walrus saw a listing for a bunch of old headstock faceplates for a truly faithful reproduction:
The guy describes it as a BIG lot so they should last you for a while.
s-l1600.jpg

Who loves ya baby?!?!
:tranquillity:
thats a shame. criminal that whoever sold u that at GC did not disclose. unless it happened during shipping.
Nope. See post #1:

(He's quoting Gilded, here):Look at the back of the neck where the bass side truss rod would be located. I think there may be a small truss rod crack.

Have one of those experts look at it and run there hand over it and see if they feel a crack before they ship it.

[/I]

I heeded Gilded's advice and they said there was nothing. Hmmm.

Last edited:

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wick in some red epoxy and that may be all you need. Mine has held for years.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
NO prob, how's the weather out there?

Ray, we've only ever seen cracks on the back of Guild 12-string necks, that I can recall, anyway.
I've never seen a crack like that on the back of any other kind of Guild neck.
That I can recall, anyway.

Right, all ya gotta do is pop off the fretboard and get the rods out of the heelblock so you can access the truss channel(s) for inspection.
Hell maybe just pop 'em out with a crowbar, it's a GUILD, it's built like a tank, it can handle it.
After confirming it really is a crack right through to the truss channel I'd pull out my trusty ol' Dremel, and, doing my best impersonation of a dentist, proceed to open it up just like a cavity being prepped for a filling.
NO need to skimp on filling material BTW, marine epoxy is cheap, weatherproof, and best of all, extremely durable.
It IS a 12-string neck, after all.
If you really want to spare no expense then you may even want to spring for some good ol' JB Weld ExtremeHeat:
81PcSTE3TSL._SY879_.jpg

But the marine epoxy will take the stain better.
For the aesthetic-minded.
After that just glue that fretboard back down.
(Don't forget to re-install the truss rods).
Best of all you don't even have to take the neck off to do this.
And yes if one should decide all that's a bit outside their comfort zone, well then just snag one of those rescue dog or NOS necks on eBay like that one that popped up back in '09.
Or for those just champin' at the bit, try StewMac:
Sipo_Mahogany_Neck_Blank_for_Electric_or_Archtop_Guitar.jpg

And just yesterday Walrus saw a listing for a bunch of old headstock faceplates for a truly faithful reproduction:
The guy describes it as a BIG lot so they should last you for a while.
s-l1600.jpg

Who loves ya baby?!?!
:tranquillity:

Nope. See post #1:

In my defense I was drinking last night . I've slacked off but treated myself to a few bottles of stupidity.

That thing has two truss rods ? Wow I would think it's a bit of a over kill for that size guitar .

Anyway a shame I see that BC sending it back ,I missed that because of the above disclaimer lol

But I would love the project and challenge of repair. :)

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If it was me I would return it. It was grossly misrepresented. You’ll lose bigly if you ever try to sell it. There will be other nice 112’s to come along without that kind of hassle.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
In my defense I was drinking last night . I've slacked off but treated myself to a few bottles of stupidity.
Oh I was just taking advantage of a great opportunity for some over-the-top repair satire.
Inspired by other examples we see cheerfully offered for sale from time to time.
:friendly_wink:
And in fact I'm quite surprised by 12 string's note that his is actually epoxy-repaired: if I ever knew it, I'd forgotten.
That thing has two truss rods ? Wow I would think it's a bit of a over kill for that size guitar .
Until Late Tacoma (sometime in '07) ALL Guild 12-strings had the dual truss-rod design.
It was unique in the industry and an often-unmentioned element of their widely acknowlededged supremacy in the 12-string world.
Nothing to do with the size of guitar but all about the stress put on the neck, as mentioned in post #13 of this thread (no snark intended, I do remember you can't see the post stream easily in your mobile browser):
The cracks are caused by extreme unequal tension between 'em or and/or over-torqueing.
The reason for the 2 rods was to compensate for the extreme difference in tension between the treble and bass sides of the neck.
Ideally the bass side would have had a little more torque (backbow).
Even the new truss design featured a center adjustment rod flanked by 2 graphite "stabilizing" rods.
Goal was to lighten up the necks, as they WERE very heavy.
But I would love the project and challenge of repair. :)
Don't you dare do it without showing us in a thread....
:biggrin-new:

Last edited: