Tim Pierce with his new M-80

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Session man Tim Pierce picked up a Guild M-80 at Norman’s.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
He has so much processing going on that its hard to say "Its all in the fingers" here, but this guy is obviously a killer player. Thanks for posting this!

Of special note to me is the Vox AC-50 (behind him), which has been removed from its case and set upwards...maybe its an AC-100 to cool so it doesn't light up? :laughing:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great video! He can definitely play!

I can't believe he's got that M-80 on his leg - those things are heavy!

walrus

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's the normal M-80 stoptail piece. But somebody mounted probably a wooden shim under it to get it higher up and hence get lower string tension.
Ralf

Hello

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

"Lower string tension"
- If we talk the tension between saddle and nut, then tha wood block has absolutely nothing to do with it.

String tension between a distance "X" on a string with cauge "Y" is constant regardless of what is outside support points - in this case bridge and nut.

- If we talk of the string pressure on bridge/saddle - then it affects it.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hello

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

"Lower string tension"
- If we talk the tension between saddle and nut, then tha wood block has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Hmmm, now that you mention it, I wonder if Ralph meant to say or imply something else?
In the case of solid body electrics, pressure on the saddle(s) is irrelevant to "driving the top", perhaps he was trying to describe that strings with a flatter angle over the saddles would be easier to bend?
String tension between a distance "X" on a string with cauge "Y" is constant regardless of what is outside support points - in this case bridge and nut.-
Hair splitting on my part perhaps, but shouldn't this read:
"At a given pitch and for a given material, string tension for length (better term than "distance" for this purpose) "X" on a string with gauge "Y" is constant regardless of what is outside support points"
If we talk of the string pressure on bridge/saddle - then it affects it.
Right, because the saddle is the fulcrum of a lever created by the string between the saddle and the pin or anchor point (stoptail) and the break angle determines the force multiplication the lever is applying at the fulcrum.

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
... perhaps he was trying to describe that strings with a flatter angle over the saddles would be easier to bend?
Yes, I guess that is what I tried saying. It's the same as people use wraparound tailpieces on Les Pauls and Bluesbirds. Nuuska is right, it has nothing to do with string tension in theory, but by adding the wooden block the tailpiece is still tightly fixed to the body but is lifted in a way a stoptailpiece would be lifted of the body to achieve less string break angle. And less string angle first can mean less broken strings when bending a lot and it can give a more "slinky" feeling. The reduced break angle will make fretting feel easier and bends easier, but the distance needed to bend to a specific pitch will now be greater.
Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The reduced break angle will make fretting feel easier and bends easier, but the distance needed to bend to a specific pitch will now be greater.
Ralf
It's true the increased height had me scratching my head a little, because it would seem counterproductive, but with the typical gauges of electrics it's probably irrelevant and may even aid bending by exaggerating the pitch shift so one doesn't actually have to bend "so far"? (across a fret once fretted, as opposed to action height at that fret)

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Al - you are correct about me forgetting to mention PITCH :watermelon:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
For a brief time I had my Nightbird set up with the strings wrapping over the stoptail. I thought it made the strings feel too springy so I switched back to "normal" soon after. I like a springy feel with most Fender(-style) guitars but not so much otherwise.

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hello

Al - you are correct about me forgetting to mention PITCH :watermelon:

:smile:
Now you need to go back to Airplane's Build-a-Thunderbird thread and tell him what the "Matrix" connection is.
I left 100 bonus points hangin' out there for you.
:friendly_wink:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
:smile:
Now you need to go back to Airplane's Build-a-Thunderbird thread and tell him what the "Matrix" connection is.
I left 100 bonus points hangin' out there for you.

Thanks for giving me chance to gain 100 points . . . can we use those for something . . . ? on this forum . . .?
I sent him a proposition - it has to do with where he is going to. Other than that I can not come up with anything. My imagination is very limited. And Finnish is so different from English and German. Those two are almost clones of each other from Finnish point of view. . .

So go ahead and start planning how to use them bonus points .

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks for giving me chance to gain 100 points . . . can we use those for something . . . ? on this forum . . .?
Bragging rights and do-overs on the Song Title Game thread.
I sent him a proposition - it has to do with where he is going to. Other than that I can not come up with anything. My imagination is very limited. And Finnish is so different from English and German. Those two are almost clones of each other from Finnish point of view. . .
So go ahead and start planning how to use them bonus points .
PM sent.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My PRS Hollowbody has the strings wrapped over the stoptail. I had never tried that before but I love it on this guitar.

walrus