Gear Free Year

katthestar

Reaction score
I think one of my resolutions for 2019 is to buy no new gear. I’ve rung up a few credit cards, and I really need to cut it out. I’ve also been having medical issues. Nothing big, just a gum graft and a mouth guard. I also should get new glasses and orthotics this year. I just lost my second job yesterday, which was probably a blessing in disguise. It does mean my income will take a hit, which I was hoping to delay until May when some of my expenses go down. A good chunk of this is my fault, and I feel crappy about it. Also, no news on the M-85 or my Gibson. I highly doubt either one will be done until late this year, if that. I keep forgetting they exist.
Anyone else done or tried to do this? I might be on here less as a result.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am hoping I pick up a 2nd Guild Westerly or Hoboken acoustic dread or even smaller body this year. :) Just waiting the local Tucson CL out. It will happen. They pop up around me 3-4 times in a year.

Alan_M

Reaction score
I'm with you. Post-holiday bills have me crunched. All unnecessary spending is on hold for the next several months. Besides, I have more gear than I need by a long shot!

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
I think one of my resolutions for 2019 is to buy no new gear. I’ve rung up a few credit cards, and I really need to cut it out. I’ve also been having medical issues. Nothing big, just a gum graft and a mouth guard. I also should get new glasses and orthotics this year. I just lost my second job yesterday, which was probably a blessing in disguise. It does mean my income will take a hit, which I was hoping to delay until May when some of my expenses go down. A good chunk of this is my fault, and I feel crappy about it. Also, no news on the M-85 or my Gibson. I highly doubt either one will be done until late this year, if that. I keep forgetting they exist.
Anyone else done or tried to do this? I might be on here less as a result.
Done or tried what? Not buying gear for a year?

I've gone much longer than that. I also went without credit cards or charge cards for over thirty years - since my thirties. One of the best financial moves I've ever made was to cut 'em all in half. They're so much more expensive than just using the disposable I actually have.

My wife recently talked me into getting a credit card (we're in our sixties), mainly because using cash or debit for car rentals is such a pain. So far, no problems. But all in all, I kind of miss not having one!

Anyhow, no need to be a stranger just because you don't have new gear. That ain't the point to this forum!

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've re-arranged my music rooms so often to accommodate new gear and I don't think I can do anymore. I may have to consider a remodel or converting one bedroom. It's all so confusing. On the other hand, I'm kinda liking it.

dbirchett

Reaction score
I haven't bought anything since 2017. All right, it was December 31, 2017 and it was a birthday present. And I did buy a couple of pedals during 2018. And I was just outbid on a Jazzmaster. OK, where was I going with this?

crank

Reaction score
No new gear. Looking at used...

We just moved into a new-to-us house and I now have a really nice jam room. A nice change from being space challenged and having guitars stuffed into closets, under the bed, perched on top of the wardrobe... (and I only have 8)

I was recently given a bass and a bass amp. Already had a PA and a couple of guitar amps. Just bought a pair of conga drums off Craiglsist. Looking for a decent but cheap drum kit and then I am done. Oh, and I need some stools and a couple more mics and some music stands. But that is all!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think a No Gear Resolution is very difficult to keep although keeping it is easier when money is also a constraint. But the way to get through it is to paraphrase Stephen Stills and love the gear you've got. Maybe it is senility setting in but practicing on a guitar that has not been played in a month or tweaking the amp to something other than the usual settings can be invigorating and tamp down G.A.S. attacks for me.

katthestar

Reaction score
I’m having that problem where I don’t have enough room. I’m also not really playing guitar too much. I think I have too many basses (I’m up to 8 now). I’m at the point where I’m wondering “do I really need this?”. Though I imagine getting rid of it won’t be easy. I’m pretty sure my MIM Fender PJ Special is still sitting at the music store.

katthestar

Reaction score
I do really love my Pilot. Whenever I learn a new song on bass, I find if I practice it on the Pilot first, I can play it on any bass after that.