Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 64

Thread: OGD - F-30 in need of TLC

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    1,794
    Another source for period correct truss rods is Hans Moust -- check with him.

  2. #52

    An update for those interested ...

    I took the guitar to Jacobs Custom Guitars this morning, and left it. Had a nice chat with Tom and Dave. The news is better than I had hoped. The cracked bridge may be repairable. Thereís a loose brace, and a crack along the pick guard mentioned earlier in this thread. Tom is going to address those three issues, and then once the top is stable, see if he can get a decent setup. At that point, a neck reset may or may not be necessary. Weíll see in a couple weeks.

    Also met some friends for lunch on the coast and had an excellent oyster poíboy, then visited a microbrewery weíd heard about. All in all, a fine day.

    To be continued ...

    Mike

  3. #53
    Senior Member walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,532
    Quote Originally Posted by mjurban View Post
    I took the guitar to Jacobs Custom Guitars this morning, and left it. Had a nice chat with Tom and Dave. The news is better than I had hoped. The cracked bridge may be repairable. There’s a loose brace, and a crack along the pick guard mentioned earlier in this thread. Tom is going to address those three issues, and then once the top is stable, see if he can get a decent setup. At that point, a neck reset may or may not be necessary. We’ll see in a couple weeks.

    Also met some friends for lunch on the coast and had an excellent oyster po’boy, then visited a microbrewery we’d heard about. All in all, a fine day.

    To be continued ...

    Mike
    This is what I would call excellent progress!!

    walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2011 Guild F-30RCE
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

  4. #54

    Itís home!

    Actually, itís been home since Friday. Forgive me for taking a couple days to post an update, but itís been really hard to put down. That in itself is probably all you need to hear.

    Tom was able to repair the cracked bridge, rather than replace it. Also glued down a loose brace, and repaired a small crack in the top along the pick guard. It did not require a neck reset.

    It came back nice and shiny, fresh off the buffing wheel, frets polished, and nicely set up. It sounds and plays beautifully. Iíve been playing it for a couple days now, trading off with two other guitars, and Iím extremely happy with how it has turned out.

    Tom was able to get a good setup without a neck reset, but as a result some of the parameters are close to the limits. String height above the top is about 3/8Ē at the sound hole, less than that at the bridge. Saddle height is barely 1/16Ē at the bass and treble ends, and the pin holes are slotted to increase the break angle. However, the guitar plays and sounds as well as it ever has, and itís a big win to avoid a neck reset.

    Iíll have a few pics later today.

    Regards,
    Mike

  5. #55
    ... and a big shout to Tom and Dave at Jacobs Custom Guitars in Merritt Island, FL., who did this work. Nice folks, excellent work, timely completion, reasonable price.

    Mike

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by mjurban View Post
    Actually, it’s been home since Friday. Forgive me for taking a couple days to post an update, but it’s been really hard to put down. That in itself is probably all you need to hear.

    Tom was able to repair the cracked bridge, rather than replace it. Also glued down a loose brace, and repaired a small crack in the top along the pick guard. It did not require a neck reset.

    It came back nice and shiny, fresh off the buffing wheel, frets polished, and nicely set up. It sounds and plays beautifully. I’ve been playing it for a couple days now, trading off with two other guitars, and I’m extremely happy with how it has turned out.

    Tom was able to get a good setup without a neck reset, but as a result some of the parameters are close to the limits. String height above the top is about 3/8” at the sound hole, less than that at the bridge. Saddle height is barely 1/16” at the bass and treble ends, and the pin holes are slotted to increase the break angle. However, the guitar plays and sounds as well as it ever has, and it’s a big win to avoid a neck reset.

    I’ll have a few pics later today.

    Regards,
    Mike
    Awesome news Mike! Any time you can avoid a reset that is a good day fo sho!!! You had her brought back to glory sir!
    Guild:
    '18 Guild F55 Jumbo ( Oxnard )
    '78 Guild D35 SB ( Westerly )
    '77 Guild S300 Natural ( Westerly )
    '06 Guild GAD F40p 12 Fret ( MIC )

    Others:
    '89 Strat MIJ Projectcaster Marvel's Daredevil "Devilcaster" w/ Might Mite Maple neck & '91 Fender American P/U's
    '16 Tele Partscaster w/ MIM Fender RW Neck & USA Seymour Duncan Bridge P/U
    '17 LTD EC-401QM Frankenpaul ( originally found in 3 pieces in a Guitar Center dumpster )

    Amps / Pedals:
    Crate Palomino V32 US Made Class A tube amp

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by mjurban View Post
    Actually, itís been home since Friday. Forgive me for taking a couple days to post an update, but itís been really hard to put down. That in itself is probably all you need to hear.

    Tom was able to repair the cracked bridge, rather than replace it. Also glued down a loose brace, and repaired a small crack in the top along the pick guard. It did not require a neck reset.

    It came back nice and shiny, fresh off the buffing wheel, frets polished, and nicely set up. It sounds and plays beautifully. Iíve been playing it for a couple days now, trading off with two other guitars, and Iím extremely happy with how it has turned out.

    Tom was able to get a good setup without a neck reset, but as a result some of the parameters are close to the limits. String height above the top is about 3/8Ē at the sound hole, less than that at the bridge. Saddle height is barely 1/16Ē at the bass and treble ends, and the pin holes are slotted to increase the break angle. However, the guitar plays and sounds as well as it ever has, and itís a big win to avoid a neck reset.

    Iíll have a few pics later today.

    Regards,
    Mike
    Awesome 😊

  8. #58
    Senior Member rampside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Minnesota's Iron Range
    Posts
    2,863
    Excellent! It just might be good for a long, long time!
    '94 GV-70 NT Westerly
    '99 F-30 NT HG Westerly

    '67 F-30 Hoboken
    '73 S-100 Carved (Natural)

    http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w487/rampside/7e9e5171-995b-4a57-9757-e87f0e5c8b40_zps692ae4ec.jpg

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Dickson, TN
    Posts
    1,132
    DA -- Tom and Dave were great to deal with and quality work at a reasonable price. That is what we believe on LTG. That last sentence could be part of the chorus on a song written about "Jacobs Custom Guitars."
    1962 Epiphone Century Cherry Hollow Body Arch Top E422T
    1971 Guild D40 "Guild Guitar Inc" label SN 55360
    1984 Guild D46
    1993 Guild DV52 NT
    2001 Chris Bozung Rosewood Dred - Antique Sunburst - "A Dozen Roses"

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    333
    Just for reference, I spent around $1200 Nor Cal market rate to fix my D 35. Neck reset, refret, new nut, saddle and a NOS bridge sourced from Hans Moust. Plus lacquer on the neck to seal the sanded off bare wood neck. It had a small soundhole crack from the pickguard.

    I had bought the D 35 as a basket case knowing I'd spend more than it was worth. I've never regretted it. And I had 0 emotional attachment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •