OGD - F-30 in need of TLC

mjurban

Reaction score
I’m not sure shaving the bridge is an option. The strings are already only 7/16ths above the top. However, y’all have convinced me to have Tom Jacobs look at it. I’ll know a lot more with an expert opinion.
Mike

mjurban

Reaction score
A few more pics

For those interested ...
44GGGT3.jpg

OvQkO8I.jpg

rzDvfl9.jpg

8KqzGWY.jpg

tb1KirA.jpg

nmeoG14.jpg

Y0E3D6j.jpg

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to the forum, mjurban, and it's nice to see that you belong to the original Hoboken F-30 club! It looks like you're in good hands and that's a little gem you never want to let go of. Good luck! and keep us informed.

Terry

beecee

Reaction score
Please make sure you buy a replacement truss rod cover and install it upside down. There are people here on this forum that live for that.

mjurban

Reaction score
Just one more

Here it is in the cheap cardboard case it came in. I’ve promised it a new case also. The Guild website has an F-30 case, but I’ll probably give Jacobs’ shop a chance to sell me one first.

Got to say this cheap little case did it’s job for 53 years, but it has given all it’s got.

Mike

1TmbXK0.jpg

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Here it is in the cheap cardboard case it came in. I’ve promised it a new case also. The Guild website has an F-30 case, but I’ll probably give Jacobs’ shop a chance to sell me one first.

Got to say this cheap little case did it’s job for 53 years, but it has given all it’s got.

Mike

Hang on to that case!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

"In case" you haven't seen it yet, Tom's is also one of the first shops to become an Authorized Guild Repair Center under Cordoba, when they needed to revamp the network after acquiring Guild from Fender.
He can probably to offer the same case if you want to retain the badging.

I’m not sure shaving the bridge is an option. The strings are already only 7/16ths above the top. However, y’all have convinced me to have Tom Jacobs look at it. I’ll know a lot more with an expert opinion.
Mike
Right, kinda pointless since it's already cracked.
I think what GJM meant is replacing with a thinner bridge might work in lieu of full reset, he was just describing shaving the bridge as a method used for that purpose, when a bridge is intact.
I can tell from your comment that you're pretty conversant with the basics of the geometry of neck angle and string height from top, though.
That'll serve you well when Tom gives his appraisal.
Keep us posted!

Please make sure you buy a replacement truss rod cover and install it upside down. There are people here on this forum that live for that.
Right.
First thing I check when I look at pics now.
Easy way to spot virgins.

Last edited:

mjurban

Reaction score
Adorshki, yeah, I misspoke, the bridge will have to be replaced. Should have said a thinner bridge might not be an option at this point. In any event, we’ll see what Mr. Fixit has to say.

Rampside, yes, I’ll hang on to the case. However, I think I’ll retire it to a quiet, dry place in a closet, and find a fresh, young case to assume it’s functional duties.

The truss rod cover went missing several years ago. It’s on the list of things to discuss with Mr. Fixit, but perhaps a fit question for this crowd as well. Anyone know where to get a period correct truss rod cover? I have looked at Hans Moust’s site, and the 60’s covers are sold out, although there were a couple others that looked close. Any other recommended sources?

Finally, anyone know who made the “3 on a plate” tuners on this guitar? They are working fine, although they’ve never been the smoothest. I’ve always wondered who made them.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Mike

Is that a top crack next to pickguard?

44GGGT3.jpg

If so, its exactly the same crack I have on my '65 F30:

I noticed also, both guitars have different shapes, the 66 has the mini-jumbo shape and the 65 has the classic OM shape. Did the shape change in 66 or were both models produced at the same time?

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Adorshki, yeah, I misspoke, the bridge will have to be replaced. Should have said a thinner bridge might not be an option at this point. In any event, we’ll see what Mr. Fixit has to say.

Rampside, yes, I’ll hang on to the case. However, I think I’ll retire it to a quiet, dry place in a closet, and find a fresh, young case to assume it’s functional duties.

The truss rod cover went missing several years ago. It’s on the list of things to discuss with Mr. Fixit, but perhaps a fit question for this crowd as well. Anyone know where to get a period correct truss rod cover? I have looked at Hans Moust’s site, and the 60’s covers are sold out, although there were a couple others that looked close. Any other recommended sources?

Finally, anyone know who made the “3 on a plate” tuners on this guitar? They are working fine, although they’ve never been the smoothest. I’ve always wondered who made them.
Tuners remind me of the Klusons on my '62 Epiphone.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I noticed also, both guitars have different shapes, the 66 has the mini-jumbo shape and the 65 has the classic OM shape. Did the shape change in 66 or were both models produced at the same time?
I bet Hans knows, but given what we've seen about how Guild operated it wouldn't surprise me if Guild was actually using both body bucks for a while, introducing the new body outline as a "running production change".
I actually thought it happened later, because the 12-string version of the F30, the F-112, went through the same evolution in the early '70's.

NOW I wonder if they started using old F30 bucks to make F112's when they introduced 'em in '68? (according to the s/n charts)
:biggrin-new:

mjurban

Reaction score
Clyde, good eye, that is the same crack in the same place. Noticed it myself just this morning when I was wiping it down before taking some more pictures.

Not sure about the size question, but the pick guards are different also.
Mike

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Overall it looks like you kept it in nice condition over its 5 decades. Giving it the Fixit spa treatment will be just the thing it needs to get back into prime playing condition. Quite a gem you have there.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Clyde, good eye, that is the same crack in the same place. Noticed it myself just this morning when I was wiping it down before taking some more pictures.

Not sure about the size question, but the pick guards are different also.
Mike

Hopefully, Hans can chime in on the 65 vs 66 body style.
I also noticed that the tuners are different. See here the 66:

8KqzGWY.jpg

VS the 65:

Anyway, I can say that the crack only adds to the mojo. Awesome guitar!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, Hans can chime in on the 65 vs 66 body style.

Just to keep things interesting, here's one ID'd as a '65 (and correctly, according to the s/n charts):
7034_01.jpg

And it's showing the "mini-jumbo" outline and the new pickguard but appears to have the same tuners as yours, identified as Van Ghent by the seller, here:
http://www.retrofret.com/products.asp?ProductID=7034
I do remember Hans referencing them before, now, but I think MJ's are a Japanese maker, just can't recall the name.
It looks like the change actually occurred during '65.
Which goes right along with all kinds of previous evidence we've seen that Guild just changed things as needed, like when "old parts" ran out; I can't recall ever seeing a change that was tied to a calendar year roll-over, if that's what you were thinking.
I also see that your guitar has no volute but MJ's does.
(And I thought it was the older ones that had the volute!)
But the mini-jumbo shaped '65 shown above doesn't have one either.
So it looks like they changed the neck style even after they introduced the new body shape.
MJ: Can you tell we kinda enjoy digging into all these little production anomalies ?
Oh, btw, for comparison, (also correctly ID'd as a 65 according to s/n charts, here) here's the "old" outline which had wider looking/flatter shoulders and a more angular pinch at the waist, and a flatter bottom, too, more easily seen from a head-on perspective:
rc15n54bxskuitpo3ma2.jpg

Difference most readily apparent in the upper bout shapes.

Last edited:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Just to keep things interesting, here's one ID'd as a '65 (and correctly, according to the s/n charts):
7034_01.jpg

And it's showing the "mini-jumbo" outline and the new pickguard but appears to have the same tuners as yours, identified as Van Ghent by the seller, here:
http://www.retrofret.com/products.asp?ProductID=7034
I do remember Hans referencing them before, now, but I think MJ's are a Japanese maker, just can't recall the name.
It looks like the change actually occurred during '65.
Which goes right along with all kinds of previous evidence we've seen that Guild just changed things as needed, like when "old parts" ran out; I can't recall ever seeing a change that was tied to a calendar year roll-over, if that's what you were thinking.
I also see that your guitar has no volute but MJ's does.
(And I thought it was the older ones that had the volute!)
But the mini-jumbo shaped '65 shown above doesn't have one either.
So it looks like they changed the neck style even after they introduced the new body shape.
MJ: Can you tell we kinda enjoy digging into all these little production anomalies ?
Oh, btw, for comparison, (also correctly ID'd as a 65 according to s/n charts, here) here's the "old" outline which had wider looking/flatter shoulders and a more angular pinch at the waist, and a flatter bottom, too, more easily seen from a head-on perspective:
rc15n54bxskuitpo3ma2.jpg

Difference most readily apparent in the upper bout shapes.

Great observations Al. I’m curious, if Guild moved to the Westerly shop around 66-67, could it be that during the transition, some F30s were built at the Hoboken shop and some at the Westerly shop which could explain the discrenpencies?

CocoaPicker

Reaction score
I'll second that. Tom fixed a bridge crack in my JF-55, like the one you mentioned; someone had apparently jammed in some oversized pins at some point in its past. He glued it then painted over and it now looks and functions like new. (Looking from the inside, he found that the crack didn't extend into the bridge plate, so I guess I was lucky.) Tom also did some more extensive work on my D-55; see that story in the "My First Guild" thread from a couple years ago.

As for whether it's worth it, only you can decide, but I lean toward fixing what I know and love. I don't mind having more $$ invested in a guitar than it's worth, as long as I'm in it for the long haul. My heirs can sort out market value when the time comes.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey mj!! Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for advice. That's a beautiful old F-30 and you'll be so glad you spent the time and money to make it right again. I have a D65S (fairly rare) that I bought new in 1994. Amazing guitar but then life intervened and after a hospital stay and Ambien (don't take it!) dose, I fell and crashed the soundboard and broke a brace and ..... there was only ONE person I'd EVER consider sending that guitar to!! And it was Tom Jacobs. He did some real magic on the repairs and he and his wife (and Dave) are a joy to work with!! You'll not be sorry. He'll do what you NEED and communicate all the way and ... you won't be sorry.

Congrats on that fine old girl!! And welcome and keep us posted how it's going, okay?? :encouragement:

bobouz

Reaction score
Guess I'm a bit puzzled. None of these mid '60s beauties look anything like what I've always considered to be the F-30's "mini-jumbo" shape version - which I believe first appeared in late '72, and for sure in '73 with both the F-30 & F-30R. These are clearly distinguished by a very round bottom (measuring 15-3/8" on my '73 F-30R) and deep lower bout (4-7/8"), combined with a much smaller upper bout (a hair over 11") - truly mimicking the miniaturized shape of a jumbo Guild or Gibson.

The two '60s examples above appear to have some very slight differences in curvature, but both more closely resemble a Martin 000 shape - and I'm guessing their body measurements would be virtually identical.

Imho, it seems like a misnomer to be calling one of them a mini-jumbo shape. That said, I believe the world will keep turning!

Last edited: