Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OGD - F-30 in need of TLC

OGD - F-30 in need of TLC

Greetings-
    I have a F-30NT which I bought new in 1966. After 53 years, it needs some help. The bridge is cracked across the pins, not sure if it can be repaired or will need replacing. There is significant bellying, and a neck reset is probably in order. Current action is rather high, at just over 4/32ís, so to get down to 3/32ís Iíd have to take a full 1/16 off the saddle, and thereís not that much left. It also has a loose top brace which needs to be reglued.

I have pictures, but my posting permissions say Iím not allowed to post attachments. Is that a new member thing?

This was my first guitar, and Iíve got a lot of emotional attachment to it. It has 53 years worth of assorted dings and nicks, but no cracks anywhere. It is one of the best sounding guitars Iíve ever played. Iím thinking it may cost as much as $1000 to put it right, but I havenít had anyone look at it yet.

So, finally, the question, is this guitar worth repairing? Iíve seen F-30 of this vintage advertised anywhere between $1200 and $2400. I love this guitar, so Iím having trouble being objective.

Also, can anyone recommend a good luthier in the central Florida area? Iíve read that neck resets on Guilds can be problematic, so Iíd like to find someone who has done them before. Thereís a guy down in Sebring named Ken Blount who looks to be the best around. Anyone have any experience with him?

Thanks all,
    Mike

Go see Tom Jacob at Jacob Custom Guitars, Merritt island, Florida. He's also a forum member, handle Fixit. Superb luthier.

Mike:
    Welcome to a great forum and unlimited information about all guitars - not just Guilds.
    My take on your situation is as follows:
    1. Lots of folks have a $1000
    2. Very few have a 53 year old guitar they bought new that they still love
    3. FIX IT and "Mr. Fixit" is top notch.
    1962 Epiphone Century Cherry Hollow Body Arch Top E422T
    1971 Guild D40 "Guild Guitar Inc" label SN 55360
    1984 Guild D46
    1993 Guild DV52 NT
    2001 Chris Bozung Rosewood Dred - Antique Sunburst - "A Dozen Roses"

Evenkeel, many thanks, I will talk to Tom Jacobs.
    Mike

Second Tom! You won't be sorry!
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

Welcome , I'd definitely fix her up . 🙂

Tucson, but wish it was Idaho or even Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Mike:
    Welcome to a great forum and unlimited information about all guitars - not just Guilds.
    My take on your situation is as follows:
    1. Lots of folks have a $1000
    2. Very few have a 53 year old guitar they bought new that they still love
    3. FIX IT and "Mr. Fixit" is top notch.
    yes to what Stuball said!

worth fixing, and many of us have used Jacobs Custom guitars for big jobs, myself included. especially if u are in Florida, this is a “no brainer.” Tom Jacobs worked for Guild at one time.

Welcome MJ:
    In line with what Stuball mentioned, there's "market value" and "sentimental value".
    Usually they're not in line with each other, but I suspect in your case you could wind up with the happy situation in which they're pretty close, especially if you use our member Fixit.
    Full disclosure, I have no interest or connection with him, but you need to see some of his posts and more member testimonials to really start understanding how good he is.
    3 of my favorite threads:
    http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sho...toration/page6
    http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sho...toration/page2
    http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sho...II-restoration

One of my favorite member testimonials:
    http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sho...t-Friday/page4

And finally let me say that if it weren't fro my reluctance to ship a guitar I'd have already sent him my F65ce for a lifting bridge repair.
    As it is I might still do it.
    Last edited by adorshki; 01-08-2019 at 09:04 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

I spent a fair amount of money (new bridge, bridge pins, saddle, nut, setup) restoring my old Yamaha FG-110 back to life. I'll never get out of what I have in it, but the sentimental value (my first guitar, bought for me by my parents, and the vehicle though which I met my wife) made it money well spent. I could not imagine my life without that guitar. Doesn't get a lot of playing time any more, but when I pick it up I am transported to the places it took me.
    '69 Yamaha FG-110 (folks)
    '08 DV-6 (8th Street)
    '72 F-212XL (ex-idealassets - a nephew's)
    '83 D-35 (ex-Walking Man, Qvart) FOR SALE
    '93 JF4-12 (ex-grumpyguybill)
    '07 F-47R (ex-mikemo6string)
    '74 G-37 (ex-Gardman, Neal) FOR SALE
    '94 D-6 FOR SALE
    '61 F-40B (ex-Walking Man)
    GAD F-130R (ex-Killdeer43, Jeffcoop,) FOR SALE
    GAD-30 (ex-Killdeer43, Geoguy - with a different nephew)
    GAD D125-12 (ex-BoneDigger) ​FOR SALE
    NS SFIV-ST (ex-BoneDigger)
    '99 DeArmond M-75
    '13 Orpheum 14-Fret RW Dreadnought