OGD - F-30 in need of TLC

mjurban

Reaction score
Greetings-
I have a F-30NT which I bought new in 1966. After 53 years, it needs some help. The bridge is cracked across the pins, not sure if it can be repaired or will need replacing. There is significant bellying, and a neck reset is probably in order. Current action is rather high, at just over 4/32’s, so to get down to 3/32’s I’d have to take a full 1/16 off the saddle, and there’s not that much left. It also has a loose top brace which needs to be reglued.

I have pictures, but my posting permissions say I’m not allowed to post attachments. Is that a new member thing?

This was my first guitar, and I’ve got a lot of emotional attachment to it. It has 53 years worth of assorted dings and nicks, but no cracks anywhere. It is one of the best sounding guitars I’ve ever played. I’m thinking it may cost as much as $1000 to put it right, but I haven’t had anyone look at it yet.

So, finally, the question, is this guitar worth repairing? I’ve seen F-30 of this vintage advertised anywhere between $1200 and $2400. I love this guitar, so I’m having trouble being objective.

Also, can anyone recommend a good luthier in the central Florida area? I’ve read that neck resets on Guilds can be problematic, so I’d like to find someone who has done them before. There’s a guy down in Sebring named Ken Blount who looks to be the best around. Anyone have any experience with him?

Thanks all,
Mike

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Go see Tom Jacob at Jacob Custom Guitars, Merritt island, Florida. He's also a forum member, handle Fixit. Superb luthier.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Mike:
Welcome to a great forum and unlimited information about all guitars - not just Guilds.
My take on your situation is as follows:
1. Lots of folks have a $1000
2. Very few have a 53 year old guitar they bought new that they still love
3. FIX IT and "Mr. Fixit" is top notch.

mjurban

Reaction score
Evenkeel, many thanks, I will talk to Tom Jacobs.
Mike

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome , I'd definitely fix her up . 🙂

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mike:
Welcome to a great forum and unlimited information about all guitars - not just Guilds.
My take on your situation is as follows:
1. Lots of folks have a $1000
2. Very few have a 53 year old guitar they bought new that they still love
3. FIX IT and "Mr. Fixit" is top notch.

yes to what Stuball said!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
worth fixing, and many of us have used Jacobs Custom guitars for big jobs, myself included. especially if u are in Florida, this is a “no brainer.” Tom Jacobs worked for Guild at one time.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Welcome MJ:
In line with what Stuball mentioned, there's "market value" and "sentimental value".
Usually they're not in line with each other, but I suspect in your case you could wind up with the happy situation in which they're pretty close, especially if you use our member Fixit.
Full disclosure, I have no interest or connection with him, but you need to see some of his posts and more member testimonials to really start understanding how good he is.
3 of my favorite threads:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...uild-Mark-VI-Artist-Special-Restoration/page6
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?185927-69-Custom-F-512-Restoration/page2
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?166982-Starfire-XII-restoration

One of my favorite member testimonials:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...ack!!-The-D65S-arrived-home-last-Friday/page4

And finally let me say that if it weren't fro my reluctance to ship a guitar I'd have already sent him my F65ce for a lifting bridge repair.
As it is I might still do it.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I spent a fair amount of money (new bridge, bridge pins, saddle, nut, setup) restoring my old Yamaha FG-110 back to life. I'll never get out of what I have in it, but the sentimental value (my first guitar, bought for me by my parents, and the vehicle though which I met my wife) made it money well spent. I could not imagine my life without that guitar. Doesn't get a lot of playing time any more, but when I pick it up I am transported to the places it took me.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Fix it...and enjoy it for the rest of your life...Tom in Florida is the man for the job.

mjurban

Reaction score
I want to thank all of you for the advice and support. I am surprised and delighted to find there is a shop specializing in Guilds just over on the coast, about an hour away. I spoke to Dave this morning, and will take the guitar to have Tom look at it next week. This will be interesting.
Mike

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have pictures, but my posting permissions say I’m not allowed to post attachments. Is that a new member thing?

Mike
Hi Mike on review I see nobody answered this yet:
No, it's not a new member thing, it's a forum condition, pics must be hosted elsewhere, and the forum has a method of linking to 'em so they show up here.
Also a new member's first few posts are vetted by moderators to ensure you're not a spambot, then any posts show up in real time.
So be patient if you're responding but not seeing the posts show up right away, you're probably about due for clearance.
And we DO love pics.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
hi mike on review i see nobody answered this yet:
No, it's not a new member thing, it's a forum condition, pics must be hosted elsewhere, and the forum has a method of linking to 'em so they show up here.
Also a new member's first few posts are vetted by moderators to ensure you're not a spambot, then any posts show up in real time.
So be patient if you're responding but not seeing the posts show up right away, you're probably about due for clearance.
And we do love pics.

pics !!!!! 😁

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
1966 original owner F30? Oh my... Yes, before and after pics please.

bobouz

Reaction score
You're lucky to be in the right place.

Take a drive to Titusville & your F-30 will get the attention it deserves! I live in Oregon, but have been to Merritt Island & surrounding areas many times for birding. Always enjoy going there.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I have a '65 F30, it has a top crack that's been cleated and has its fair share of dings and scratches. Its also due for a neck reset, refret and a new bridge. My luthier has estimated the cost at around 800$ CAD. I've decided to have the work done because it has an unmatched, unique vintage sound and a soul like no other... and you cannot put a price on that.

In your shoes, I would go ahead with the repair without hesitation.

Good luck!

mjurban

Reaction score
Some pics

Let’s see if I can get some pics up. Most of these were taken to show things I’m concerned about, rather than to show off the guitar. I’ll post a few better of the whole instrument tomorrow.
Thanks again, folks.
Mike

qqaSWmV.jpg

1SFgQK5.jpg

RgIso4v.jpg

yhzpL9Y.jpg

Stau9jy.jpg

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Let’s see if I can get some pics up.

That is a sweet guitar. You've got a pretty tall bridge - since you're going to have to replace it anyway, you might be able to stave off the neck reset with a thinner bridge. That's a standard technique in lieu of a neck reset - shave the bridge and/or saddle. If the neck is moving, shaving the bridge only postpones the neck reset - it does not eliminate it.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Let’s see if I can get some pics up. Most of these were taken to show things I’m concerned about, rather than to show off the guitar. I’ll post a few better of the whole instrument tomorrow.

Not to sound nit-picky but it's hard to gauge how "far out" it is without some measurements.
For example I look at the picture of the top belly behind the ridge and have to say that all flat-tops actually have a slight top radius (arch) which many folks don't realize until they start looking very closely, although yes that looks like it may be a little aggravated.
I think the area between the soundhole and the bridge is a better indicator of whether the top's being over-stressed.
But overall what I see is WELL worth the rehabilitation.
Even if it takes the whole $1000.00, where you gonna find a new instrument with all the materials quality AND the tone development and sentimental value of 50 years of ownership?
I bought all mine new intending to keep 'em for life myself, so that's the only alternative I'd consider if it was mine.
About the only balancing benefit of a new guitar is the warranty.
Another thing to consider:
Right now you couldn't even buy a new American built F30 if you wanted to, much like I couldn't replace my D25 with a new one if I wanted to, because new owners Cordoba Mfg ain't makin' 'em!
("Yet", in the case of F30's.)
When they do they'll have a new designation "OM-40", and whether they'll even be available with genuine NCL finish and dovetail neck joint is entirely unknown.
In case those kinds of details are important to you.

Last edited: