Any winter NAMM gossip?

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
this might be the first MIC Guild model I am seriously considering. the DS240. I like the ebony striped DS260 too, but a good old slope shoulder dread would be a blast. I bet the tone is big too.
You know, I wouldn't get too excited. I'm a bit of a Guild loyalist, I'm not a Cordoba hater, but keep in mind we're talking mostly laminated $500 made-in-China guitar here.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, yeah, it's a sunburst slope dread, and it has the same headstock logo. That's most likely where all and any similarity ends...

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You know, I wouldn't get too excited. I'm a bit of a Guild loyalist, I'm not a Cordoba hater, but keep in mind we're talking mostly laminated $500 made-in-China guitar here.

yes totally! i would prefer to spend the 500 on a 1976 D25 :) still mulling that one over as it is on CL here in tucson.
they dont come up more than 2-3 times per year down here.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
No F112? I would think that would have some appeal...
I would like to see a new F-112 made in Oxnard in the future. But that's a tough call, not even New Hartford tried that model. Lots of reserach required. There were various body sizes and shapes for the F-112, so should it be a 60ies or 70ties version, or...
Ralf

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would like to see a new F-112 made in Oxnard in the future. But that's a tough call, not even New Hartford tried that model. Lots of reserach required. There were various body sizes and shapes for the F-112, so should it be a 60ies or 70ties version, or...
Ralf
But, if they make the F-112, then they could also make the F-30 using the same body mold.

Of course, they’d probably just rename them the J-726 and H-293.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
For the record, that DS-240 has back bracing. I think that implies that it's NOT an arched back. Am I wrong? May still be laminated, I don't know, but I think we need some facts, and in typical Guild fashion you can't trust the naming scheme to tell you what you *think* you know about the model. :) :)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, yeah, it's a sunburst slope dread, and it has the same headstock logo. That's most likely where all and any similarity ends...

I don't know, Walter. The body shape is pretty darn close; maybe the bracing is copped from the Orphs. Anyway, I guess my point is that we don't know how deeply the Orpheum model influence runs. I would not dismiss it without playing it, and frankly I would *really* like to do that. :)

[ edit: so anyway, I am sincerely jealous of the folks who will get to see this models (hopefully) at NAMM!!! I don't think there's been so much to be excited about since they brought out the MIK 'leccies based on the old originals for Guild's 60th! ]

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
For the record, that DS-240 has back bracing. I think that implies that it's NOT an arched back. Am I wrong? May still be laminated, I don't know, but I think we need some facts, and in typical Guild fashion you can't trust the naming scheme to tell you what you *think* you know about the model. :) :)

I was just thinking the same exact thing, because it would have been a significant difference from the Orpheum.
Even started a post and then said, "eff it".
Suspect it is laminated as spec sheets for the DS240 don't say "solid".
Apparently when the drew up that diagram the only laminated backs were arched?
The spec sheet for the D260 specifies arched ebony.
Eff it.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
For the record, that DS-240 has back bracing. I think that implies that it's NOT an arched back. Am I wrong?
Correct, both P-240 and DS-240 are flatbacks with back bracing, but laminated hog back and sides with solid spruce top. Now why they got 2xx model numbers when 2xx originally was for arched backs, no idea. Maybe they have "upgraded" the system to just say 1xx=all solid wood and 2xx= laminated back and sides... Now the other question would be why they have not used solid mahogany for the two models as they did with the 1xx series. Probably again a marketing requirement for lower price to match competition for the two models.
Ralf

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What I also noticed is that all Westerly Collection models with the exception of the 150 (Rosewood) series now changed the specs from Rosewood to Pao Ferro for the fingerboard and bridge due to CITES regulations.
Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Correct, both P-240 and DS-240 are flatbacks with back bracing, but laminated hog back and sides with solid spruce top. Now why they got 2xx model numbers when 2xx originally was for arched backs, no idea. Maybe they have "upgraded" the system to just say 1xx=all solid wood and 2xx= laminated back and sides...

Since Guild's arched backs were traditionally laminated anyway, it is a "logical evolution" of the model number system.
Apparently whoever set up the system never envisioned laminated flatbacks being used, though.
Now the other question would be why they have not used solid mahogany for the two models as they did with the 1xx series. Probably again a marketing requirement for lower price to match competition for the two models.
Ralf
That's my guess, although it does also allow 'em to use "unusual" tonewoods like the ebony that may be quite difficult to work otherwise.

What I also noticed is that all Westerly Collection models with the exception of the 150 (Rosewood) series now changed the specs from Rosewood to Pao Ferro for the fingerboard and bridge due to CITES regulations.
Ralf
It's true Pau Ferro's not CITES listed, but it's actually got a history of usage by Guild going back to the '90's D4's, see the spec here from Westerlyguildguitars (they used the "Morado" name for it, see the "Wood Database"):
http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/d4hr.html
Pau Ferro may actually be better suited to fretboard use than traditional rosewoods since it's supposed to be a little harder.
Would cut down on divots if nothing else!
Had an offline discussion with another member who mentioned one of his Corona D-25's fretboards was lighter than he expected of traditional EIR so I suspected they used it there, too.
I even wonder about my own D25's fretboard, now, since it's also a bit lighter than the bridge.
EDIT: Acornhouse's post made me realize I should clarify: by "lighter" I mean color-wise, in case there's any question.

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pau Ferro/Morado/Bolivian RW, it goes by many names (NOT a true rosewood, btw.) Its excellent for fingerboards, since it is hard and HEAVY. A little less good for a bridge since, as I've mentioned, its HEAVY, and a heavier bridge will require more force to move. (That's why Braz. RW is better than ebony, its much lighter/less dense.) Not a big a deal on a steel string vs., say, a classical, but I wouldn't want it for a fingerstyle guitar.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll echo sentiment of others who were hoping to see US-made F30 1-3/4 nut and F112 size offerings, especially given the popularity of OM/OOO size guitars these days. I think its a glaring hole in their US line-up, but hey I understand that jumbos are Guild's sweet spot and I get their desire to bring out more large frame variations first. I just hope they continue to thrive and make great guitars.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Guild has a gaping hole in their lineup when it comes to smaller bodied guitars and also anything short scale. A nice little concert sized , 1 3/4" nut, and short scaled guitar in a couple of different woods. Maybe even a 12 fretter. And a cutaway! Things to wait for, I guess!!