Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kelly Joe Phelps and Guild

Quote Originally Posted by chazmo View Post
    Very well, Ralph. Good to know. ABHG would be "antique burst" and "high gloss" I think.
    Yes, all I have is the DV52 designation, I guess the rest is up to me?

Ralph

Hey, Coastie!!!! Nice to hear from you. Happy New Year.

This is some nice playing, but something about the recording.... Are you guys hearing the bass strings at all? I see him striking them in the viddie but don't hear it. I wonder if that's his pickup or what? Could be my system. (?)
    Thanks Chaz, and very warm New Year wishes to all.

Here's a video of KJP that I posted a year or three ago. Many won't have seen it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aSCeN01BFA
    " Like meditation or yoga in Buddhist societies. it ( the Blues ) is a discipline, a structure, for the focusing of the self. "

Charles Shaar Murray

Quote Originally Posted by coastie99 View Post
    Thanks Chaz, and very warm New Year wishes to all.

Here's a video of KJP that I posted a year or three ago. Many won't have seen it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aSCeN01BFA
    Does he toss all his TRCs?

Ralph

Happy New Year Gary! I seem to remember a Kelly Joe Phelps signature model that was made in Tacoma some years back, but I can't seem to find any info on it now. Might be a geezer moment!
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '86 Pilot 602P, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602MF, '99 DeArmond Starfire Bass, '10 F512NT,
    '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst), '12 D50NT Std, '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype, '13 Orpheum OM, '13 GSR M85II Bass

Quote Originally Posted by SFIV1967 View Post
    It's a Westerly made DV-52ABHG from the 90ies with a Seymour Duncan Mag Mic in the soundhole. The strings are D’Addario 80/20 mediums. He uses a Shubb capo.

Ralf
    Thanks Ralf, but you didn't say what day the strings have been put on the guitar...! (or at least what week)

Just kidding of course. That's a very precise answer : I had been watching quite a few DVs lately (mostly DV 72s and 73s), but I hadn't been able to identify a DV 52...The rather unusual colour fooled me I bet...
    So thanks very much...

Chazmo (and others...) : it's quite right after all that the bass notes are a bit weak : it didn't bothered me first when I listened to the first track, but I now understand better after listening to it a 2nd time. Probably more of an aesthetic choice I'd say, but maybe the pick-up (or the guitar) is a bit under-mixed (?)... Still like it this way...

Thank you
    Guild F-30 STD (New Hartford)
    Martin D-28 (Marquis)
    Taylor 614ce (ES1)

It's a Westerly made DV-52ABHG from the 90ies with a Seymour Duncan Mag Mic in the soundhole.
    He may very well have one of those units, but that's a Sunrise pickup!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
    www.guitarsgalore.nl

Quote Originally Posted by hansmoust View Post
    He may very well have one of those units, but that's a Sunrise pickup!
    Thanks for the correction! You are correct! I should have looked better at the video, yes, only 6 pole pieces and not 12... I had read the following here: "Now, like many acoustic slide players, he uses a Sunrise pickup, but he installed a new Seymour Duncan Mag Mic, a combination of magnetic pickup and internal microphone, on his Guild". That's why on quick look it looked on the DVD like a SD Mag Mic.

Ralf, did a lot of the DV-52s have abalone rosettes?
    As Volume II is still not available I can only guess the HG versions all had abalone rosettes and the satin versions came with herringbone rosettes.

Ralf
    Last edited by SFIV1967; 01-01-2019 at 08:24 PM.

only 6 pole pieces and not 12...
    That's not the clue! There's also a Seymour Duncan pickup that has 6 pole pieces!

The real clue is the shape of the pickup.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
    www.guitarsgalore.nl