Guild JS-II

katthestar

Reaction score
Guys, I’m really bad. I went to check out a cherry Guild JS-II, and it followed me home. It’s a 1973 and is in great shape. GC lost the case (how does that happen?), do they gave me a gig bag. I checked the switches and they all work. The neck is in good shape, too! It’s light, which was surprising. I bought some D’Addario Chromes to put on it, flatwounds. I figured this was just going to be like my M-85 II, but it’s a lot cleaner and lighter. I can’t believe the shape it’s in for it’s age. Should I sell my M-85 II, or should I keep it since it has rounds on it? I’ve always wanted a cherry Guild. Also, I’m still crazy about my Pilot. My luthier confirmed that it’s been refinished, because the body was shaved down by 1/8” of an inch. The neck on the Pilot was finished with tung oil as well.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
If anything, I'd ditch the Pilot and keep the M-85, but that's just me.

katthestar

Reaction score
I got rid of my Fender PJ Special due to the Pilot. I like how my Pilot sounds like a Fender, but not nearly as heavy. It also sounds good with new strings. My Fender got this tinny sound with new strings.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Can't you keep them all? I don't own a M85 because it is too much like my Starfire but I have a JS II and a Pilot..

katthestar

Reaction score
I probably will, which is why I got the flats. It’s so that this bass doesn’t sound like my M-85. Of course, my Starfire is a different beast compared to either one. I only got rid of the Fender because I thought it would overlap too much with my X-702 if I put flats on it. I love all my Guilds, but my M-85 has definitely seen some tough times (not from me, though).

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Somewhat more awake this morning so I will just add that the roundwounds that spent a couple of decades on the Starfire are now on the JS. I considered that a change for the better after I did it.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Hey let's see some photos!
And yeah, if you can (financially and spatially) I would keep them all to avoid later regret. I definitely understand the introspection and go through it every time I buy a new instrument. I would at least give it some time with both the JS and M85 to A/B them.
On a sidenote, the B30 I was debating getting from a CA Guitar Center was listed as having a case, but at first they couldn't find it... those things are monstrous, how could they lose it?! The other thing was, they had to go looking for the bass itself "in the back", which made me wonder, if it was "in the back" (and not in its case) was it just sitting on a stand? Laying on the floor? Leaning in a closet?

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
As an owner of both, I found that the M-85 is a beast in the studio while my JS-II, as you mentioned, is more comfortable for gigging.

(The M-85 has Bisonics so this may not apply to your situation.)

katthestar

Reaction score
Yes, I did buy that case! It’s in a Fender gig bag for now, which I find a bit funny. I’m glad I was able to get a case for a decent price.

Gorgar

Reaction score
Congratulations. I'm curious what a JS-II would sound like with Chromes. I had different flats on mine and found it too dark, but Chromes are pretty trebly, as flats I've tried go. I eventually settled on tapes for mine.

Can't blame you for taking it home. They're pretty much the nicest feeling bass I've ever played.