Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '68 F212 -- Hoboken or Westerly?

'68 F212 -- Hoboken or Westerly?

Is there a way to tell if my F212 is Hoboken or Westerly-made? Is both possible?

Label of course says Hoboken, but it has a bit of a different feel and sound than a '65 I used to have.

Photos attached, including shameless ego shot (very useful in determining which factory the guitar was built in!).

Thanks for any insight,

Donny
    Last edited by donnylang; 12-29-2018 at 03:51 AM.

Hey, welcome back to the forum! I can't answer your question but it looks like you found a lovely two-twelver!
    1960 F40 SB
    1978 D25
    GAD 5N
    Fenders/Gibsons/Martins/Teisco Del Rey

https://soundcloud.com/sal-inski

According to Guild.com, production was moved from Hoboken to Westerly in ‘66, so that should make your f-212 a ‘Westerly!? Weird that the label says Hoboken. Could it be that they misprinted or used an old label from the previous factory?

Fine looking guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal View Post
    Hey, welcome back to the forum! I can't answer your question but it looks like you found a lovely two-twelver!
    Thanks! I'm a one-guitar man, so I need to choose carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckstopChuckie View Post
    According to Guild.com, production was moved from Hoboken to Westerly in ‘66, so that should make your f-212 a ‘Westerly!? Weird that the label says Hoboken. Could it be that they misprinted or used an old label from the previous factory?

Fine looking guitar.
    Thanks as well!

I think they made guitars in both Hoboken and Westerly in 1967-68. This post here confirms SN 1840 is Hoboken, and mine is 1919, so not sure:

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthr...31#post1676731

Quote Originally Posted by donnylang View Post
    Is there a way to tell if my F212 is Hoboken or Westerly-made?
    Hello Donny,

From what I can see in the photos I believe that particular guitar was made in Hoboken, NJ.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
    www.guitarsgalore.nl

Quote Originally Posted by hansmoust View Post
    Hello Donny,

From what I can see in the photos I believe that particular guitar was made in Hoboken, NJ.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
    www.guitarsgalore.nl
    Thanks, I appreciate your insight!

I have an F212XL 12-string from '66 -- one of the best sounding 12 strings in my stable. (And it's a pretty big stable!)

I own a 1969 F212. Like the OP, mine has a Hoboken label. Mine however, was made in Westerly. Seems a fairly large supply of labels made the trip from NJ to RI.

Quote Originally Posted by wileypickett View Post
    I have an F212XL 12-string from '66 -- one of the best sounding 12 strings in my stable. (And it's a pretty big stable!)
    I've owned tons of 12s (and played countless others) over the years, and this one and the '65 F212 were the best I think. The '65 sounded a bit more "open" than this one (might have been due to all of the top cracks ), but this one has also been sitting in it's case about 40 years. The '65 also seemed to be a lighter guitar ... that's why I was wondering if this was Westerly, as it has more of a heavily-built vibe. Could also be the heavier tuners (the '65 had those Waverly types). Other favorites were a '65 Martin D12-20, and '71 Gallagher G45-12.
    Last edited by donnylang; 12-30-2018 at 07:33 PM.