Guild DE 400 different serial number

Reaction score
Hello my name is Riccardo and I write from Italy.
I apologize for my bad English.
I purchased a used DE 400 guild.
The serial number inside the body is EH 201 while the one in the headstock (not seen in the picture and it reads bad even from the truth) is EH 316.
It's normal ? And what year is the guitar?
I'm a little worried.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.

EH-201 is probably 1966. EH-316 is probably 1968 or 69. Guild record keeping was never very good and the published serial number charts (such as the one I am using) are often incomplete and/or wrong.

Someone had to "copy" the serial number from the neck to the label and there are instances where they got it wrong. There are also cases where an instrument was probably repaired at the factory and the "new" neck had a serial number when it was used as a repair part. So, generally speaking, having the neck and the label disagree is not a sign of a problem.

I think it is safe to stop worrying at least until someone who knows more than I do comes along and posts.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Welcome Riccardo:
To be clear, the s/n inside the body is most likely to be the "original", and the neck is most likely a replacement.
Our member Hans Moust is probably the worlds best expert on vintage Guilds and might have more information.
He has all the old Guild production records he could find.
It's even possible he's heard of this guitar before as he keeps track of reports on models like the Duane Eddys.
If he doesn't see this quickly, you can reach him here:
http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ciao Riccardo, welcome to LTG! Like Al said, Hans probably knows your guitar and can tell you the reason for the two serial numbers. It might be it left the factory with two different numbers, so no reason to worry yet. Wait until Hans can clarify.
Ralf

Reaction score
Thank you all for the answers.
I contacted Hans Moust!
I confirm that he is a very kind person, professional and very helpful (he answered immediately I clarified all my doubts and giving me some advice)
Thanks Hans !!
Good music to everyone!
Riccardo