Ngd f-55

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, we are! That said, it's a little pathetic that Guild's dealership network is so difficult. I hope CMG addresses this problem. brucebubs, you might want to write a letter to them and indicate your frustration.

Brucebubs

Reaction score
Yes, we are! That said, it's a little pathetic that Guild's dealership network is so difficult. I hope CMG addresses this problem. brucebubs, you might want to write a letter to them and indicate your frustration.

I actually gave up on a new Guild F-55 and bought the Huss & Dalton in my signature.
So Guild lost a sale.
The 2 'G's' .. Gibson and Guild are both poorly represented down here.
The age of the internet makes it so simple to look up US prices, convert to Australian dollars, add in shipping and import duties and come up with a truer value.

I purchased the Rickenbacker in my signature recently from a US dealer, with shipping and import duties I saved over $750.00 Australian on the asking price here ... maybe even more because no-one here had a Fireglo 4003 in stock. (There's a 4003S here but it's a lower spec - no binding, small fret-markers and mono output only)

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas LTG'ers!!!!

Some of you know I purchased an F55 in early December on Reverb from Chicago Music Exchange. I let it acclimate for 24 hours, pulled it ouf the box / case to check it for damage and then put it under my xmas tree for safe keeping til Christmas... Much like a child would do..

Firstly, I got a really good deal on her. It was a scratch and dent they had listed for $2400 but I was able to get if for $2035.. There was supposed to be a slight discoloration on the binding at the 15th fret. No such discoloration was detected by me anyway. No scratches. No dents. Just glorious Oxnard craftsmanship.

Clydetower posted a review on this model back in April that has a ton more detail and some excellent pictures. Not to mention a really nice joint in which these photos were taken. Do not expect this level of quality from me.

Now to be clear I have minimal experience with Guild jumbos. I have played a few F-50's both maple and RW
at Guitar shows over the years, but that is all. And if you have ever been to guitar show in TX it is very difficult to hear anything over the sea of SRV imitators that can be found at these shows..

FIT AND FINISH:
Well lets just say this is prettiest guitar I have ever owned. This thing boasts a tightly grained sitka top and a beautifully patterned solid rosewood back. The v block abalone / mop inlays are as stunning as I imagined they would be and of course the premium G-shield logo headstock sets this aside as a guitar of distinction among the Guild US Line. The gold gotoh open back tuners turn with precision as expected from tuners of this quality. All in all just a stunning example of Oxnard craftsmanship. The SN is on the heel block as you can see from the picture. Really the right way to do it. The paper label from my D-35 was long gone when I bought the guitar.. Thanks goodness for the stamp on the head stock..

The only complaint I have is that there is nothing written on the TRC.. I was hoping for a "congratulations" or possibly for it to be gold-plated. A grill if you will.. This is by far the most expensive and nicest axe I have ever owned so something would be nice :) I know I am splitting hairs here and practicing in the medium of tedium..

SOUND AND FEEL:
Well.. If Don Williams ( RIP ) were originally sent to this earth as an acoustic guitar I imagine it would sound a lot like this.. The low end really sings on this one. I wouldn't necessarily call it balanced as the low end is the bigger voice. My D-35 has plenty of balance for both of them so not being balanced is not a bad thing. One thing I have noted is that it is a very focused low end though very present. Also a lot of wood in the tone which I dig. I will post some sound clips as well.

Truthfully I was concerned with the true 1 11/16 nut width but the string spacing is just right and it feels great. I can even form a nice three string A chord on this bad boy. The modern C shaped neck profile is extremely comfortable for me. I dig how easy this thing is to play. It came out of the box pretty much ready to go with action that is almost perfect. Also, it is super light which I love. It feels like it weighs half of what my D-35 weighs.

Here are some pictures of the F-55 as well as a phot of all three Guilds ( my D-35 & my S-300 ) and a photo of the cool neon sign my wife bought me for Christmas.. Enjoy..

eH5exrN.jpg

gEbuT3V.jpg

gEbuT3V.jpg

cbROOml.jpg

MYs6mHU.jpg

XtFwlYl.jpg

7aKxGMy.jpg

WYnW3gY.jpg

Cool congrats 😁 I thought mine would be bass heavy . I think it's just because there's more of it meaning boby size . But I did have concerns when recording, when I first mic'd her my fears came to light but upon play back it wasn't the case ,she was just fat, well rounded but not over powering .

Let us here yours after a month of so :)

I for one can't wait to hear it ! Congrats again !!!

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations my friend.
If I wasn't so distracted by other issues I could be envious.......
But at least I can console myself with the suspicion that it'd probably be too big for me anyway.

You're right that TRC jut looks naked underneath all that bling.
Fortunately you've got skill in decoupage.
While initially I was going to suggest your favorite character Daredevil for a TRC deco, it occurred to me that this guy may be more appropriately named for the task:
Kingpin-Marvel-Comics-Wilson-Fisk-c.jpg

Yes!!! My thoughtful wife also ordered me a Kingpin t-shirt from redbubble.com for xmas. She kind of gets me. Willy Fisk might be the only Marvel character I like more than Daredevil.. And what a perfect symbol for this premium jumbo. I am going to have to think on that one!
Al, I will say for its size it is a super light guit. like super light. Super responsive. A classy number for sure.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool congrats �� I thought mine would be bass heavy I think it's just because there's more of it mean boby size . But I did concerns of recording and when I first mic'd her I fears came to light but spoon play back it wasn't the case ,she was just fat well rounded but not over powering .

Let us here your after a month of so :)

I for one can't wait to hear it ! Congrats again !!!

Hey Ray! Agreed man. It is not too bassy but mine is just super warm. The bass in mine is there for sure but it is focused and not boomy if that makes sense. I have been toying around with recording ( will share when I get something down worth sharing :) ) and it really shines.. The highs come on better recorded than when I am just playing. They sound downright nice.. Yeah lets get down the road for sure. I am sure I will have some updated opinions.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
But it's got an ebony fretboard and an abalone rosette! And it's a jumbo!

Major congrats, D30Man! I also got a great deal from CME (on the most expensive guitar I own). Mine even had something on the TRC! :tiger:

son518.jpg

You're absolutely right Cougar it does have all those wonderful attributes and I love it! Thanks sir!
And congrats on that beautiful Gibby 12 string sir!!

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats D30Man, that is one SWEET F55, good to read it's scratching that
Guild jumbo itch like nothing else can!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
D30Man, I'm seldom envious. Sometimes I covet other people's guitars but I have enough nice ones not to fuss over theirs. But this is a beauty and I'd love to have it in my lap and give it a good strum!! Congrats, amigo!! Play it in good health. I know you're worried about the truss rod cover but I think it would blend better if it had some gloss to it. Maybe a clear coat or even gloss black spray on the plastic?? I mean, in the end, it's just a truss rod cover. If you don't like it, you can just replace it. No big deal.....

I'm excited for you!! :encouragement:

bobouz

Reaction score
A beautiful instrument - It's so nice to know Oxnard is building a stellar product.

Congrats & enjoy!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
D30Man, I'm seldom envious. Sometimes I covet other people's guitars but I have enough nice ones not to fuss over theirs. But this is a beauty and I'd love to have it in my lap and give it a good strum!! Congrats, amigo!! Play it in good health. I know you're worried about the truss rod cover but I think it would blend better if it had some gloss to it. Maybe a clear coat or even gloss black spray on the plastic?? I mean, in the end, it's just a truss rod cover. If you don't like it, you can just replace it. No big deal.....

I'm excited for you!! :encouragement:

Thanks Tom! Much appreciated sir! And I can imagine envy would be seldom with a DV72 in the stable for sure. My comments on the TRC were made more in jest than anything my good man, but those suggestions are solid.
In good health I will Tom! Sound samples to follow shortly..

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Welcome to the F55 club D30man and congrats on picking up a great guitar. :)
If you haven’t done so yet, try it with alternate tunings. Sounds amazing in open D with a thick low end but not muddy.
Pretty sure this jumbo will only ger better as it continues to open up.
Enjoy!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to the F55 club D30man and congrats on picking up a great guitar. :)
If you haven’t done so yet, try it with alternate tunings. Sounds amazing in open D with a thick low end but not muddy.
Pretty sure this jumbo will only ger better as it continues to open up.
Enjoy!

Thanks CT!! And I couldn’t agree more.. even in drop D the bass is still focused and not at all muddy. It also just gets more rich.. yeah this guitar is going to open nicely and such wood in the tone..

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks CT!! And I couldn’t agree more.. even in drop D the bass is still focused and not at all muddy. It also just gets more rich.. yeah this guitar is going to open nicely and such wood in the tone..

Ooooooo I'm getting all tingley inside 😁

Brucebubs

Reaction score
I was just looking at the pictures again - it is beautiful.
I notice there's no longer a serial number stamped on the back of the headstock and no hand-written paper label inside the guitar and the printed serial number we can see starts with the letter 'C' - are these all Cordoba era changes?