Ngd f-55

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Merry Christmas LTG'ers!!!!

Some of you know I purchased an F55 in early December on Reverb from Chicago Music Exchange. I let it acclimate for 24 hours, pulled it ouf the box / case to check it for damage and then put it under my xmas tree for safe keeping til Christmas... Much like a child would do..

Firstly, I got a really good deal on her. It was a scratch and dent they had listed for $2400 but I was able to get if for $2035.. There was supposed to be a slight discoloration on the binding at the 15th fret. No such discoloration was detected by me anyway. No scratches. No dents. Just glorious Oxnard craftsmanship.

Clydetower posted a review on this model back in April that has a ton more detail and some excellent pictures. Not to mention a really nice joint in which these photos were taken. Do not expect this level of quality from me.

Now to be clear I have minimal experience with Guild jumbos. I have played a few F-50's both maple and RW
at Guitar shows over the years, but that is all. And if you have ever been to guitar show in TX it is very difficult to hear anything over the sea of SRV imitators that can be found at these shows..

FIT AND FINISH:
Well lets just say this is prettiest guitar I have ever owned. This thing boasts a tightly grained sitka top and a beautifully patterned solid rosewood back. The v block abalone / mop inlays are as stunning as I imagined they would be and of course the premium G-shield logo headstock sets this aside as a guitar of distinction among the Guild US Line. The gold gotoh open back tuners turn with precision as expected from tuners of this quality. All in all just a stunning example of Oxnard craftsmanship. The SN is on the heel block as you can see from the picture. Really the right way to do it. The paper label from my D-35 was long gone when I bought the guitar.. Thanks goodness for the stamp on the head stock..

The only complaint I have is that there is nothing written on the TRC.. I was hoping for a "congratulations" or possibly for it to be gold-plated. A grill if you will.. This is by far the most expensive and nicest axe I have ever owned so something would be nice :) I know I am splitting hairs here and practicing in the medium of tedium..

SOUND AND FEEL:
Well.. If Don Williams ( RIP ) were originally sent to this earth as an acoustic guitar I imagine it would sound a lot like this.. The low end really sings on this one. I wouldn't necessarily call it balanced as the low end is the bigger voice. My D-35 has plenty of balance for both of them so not being balanced is not a bad thing. One thing I have noted is that it is a very focused low end though very present. Also a lot of wood in the tone which I dig. I will post some sound clips as well.

Truthfully I was concerned with the true 1 11/16 nut width but the string spacing is just right and it feels great. I can even form a nice three string A chord on this bad boy. The modern C shaped neck profile is extremely comfortable for me. I dig how easy this thing is to play. It came out of the box pretty much ready to go with action that is almost perfect. Also, it is super light which I love. It feels like it weighs half of what my D-35 weighs.

Here are some pictures of the F-55 as well as a phot of all three Guilds ( my D-35 & my S-300 ) and a photo of the cool neon sign my wife bought me for Christmas.. Enjoy..

eH5exrN.jpg

gEbuT3V.jpg

gEbuT3V.jpg

cbROOml.jpg

MYs6mHU.jpg

XtFwlYl.jpg

7aKxGMy.jpg

WYnW3gY.jpg

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
congrats D30! is that a New Hartford? Looks like it sounds huge.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
congrats D30! is that a New Hartford? Looks like it sounds huge.

Thanks WW. No sir it is a brand new Oxnard build my man. It does sound huge but nicely focused.. Normally too rich for my blood as I am notoriously a $1k and under guy, but I decided what the hell.. I will throw some sound clips on there soon... especially for Ray :)

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That is just friggin' gorgeous. I know some on this forum aren't yet convinced of the Oxnard build quality and sound. I own a few of them and have not been one iota disappointed with any of them so you can count me in as a fan for sure. Congrats sir, that is just a really sweet lookin' Guild.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks WW. No sir it is a brand new Oxnard build my man. It does sound huge but nicely focused.. Normally too rich for my blood as I am notoriously a $1k and under guy, but I decided what the hell.. I will throw some sound clips on there soon... especially for Ray :)

wow an Oxnard! that is great news! good to see the mothership is really building some fine guitars. I am still on my one sole Br Guild bud. I frequently will threaten to get another, but I eventually stop the GAS. dont tell Al, but I still got the same EJ16s on it too, going on like 6 weeks now, I know, maybe I am getting more mature with age. like a fine Bud Light...

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
That is just friggin' gorgeous. I know some on this forum aren't yet convinced of the Oxnard build quality and sound. I own a few of them and have not been one iota disappointed with any of them so you can count me in as a fan for sure. Congrats sir, that is just a really sweet lookin' Guild.

Thanks and agreed Richard! All of the ones I have and this oneof course have all been first rate!!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
wow an Oxnard! that is great news! good to see the mothership is really building some fine guitars. I am still on my one sole Br Guild bud. I frequently will threaten to get another, but I eventually stop the GAS. dont tell Al, but I still got the same EJ16s on it too, going on like 6 weeks now, I know, maybe I am getting more mature with age. like a fine Bud Light...

Ha!! 6 weeks??? That is a new record right???

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I change strings on my guitars either once every six months or else when one breaks. Not a big fan of changing strings I guess.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Congratulations my friend.
If I wasn't so distracted by other issues I could be envious.......
But at least I can console myself with the suspicion that it'd probably be too big for me anyway.
You're right that TRC jut looks naked underneath all that bling.
Fortunately you've got skill in decoupage.
While initially I was going to suggest your favorite character Daredevil for a TRC deco, it occurred to me that this guy may be more appropriately named for the task:
Kingpin-Marvel-Comics-Wilson-Fisk-c.jpg

Bud makes strings too?
It's a well-known secret that a carefully cultivated compost of corrosion, oxidation, dried-on spilt beer, and the skeletons of dead groove gliders will smooth out the excessive zingi-ness of new uncoated pb strings quite nicely, in about 6 weeks.
After that they're good for at least another couple of years.
Properly applied string compost:
gunk1_uncoated.jpg

(Groove glider husk):
f8b913418a2e6574f1bed6c6d2174aaa--scanning-electron-microscope-microscopic-photography.jpg

With a little practice you too can achieve professional-looking results.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The only complaint I have is that there is nothing written on the TRC.. I was hoping for a "congratulations" or possibly for it to be gold-plated. A grill if you will.. This is by far the most expensive and nicest axe I have ever owned so something would be nice :)

But it's got an ebony fretboard and an abalone rosette! And it's a jumbo!

....I got a really good deal on her. It was a scratch and dent they had listed for $2400 but I was able to get if for $2035..... No scratches. No dents.....

Major congrats, D30Man! I also got a great deal from CME (on the most expensive guitar I own). Mine even had something on the TRC! :tiger:

son518.jpg

beecee

Reaction score
Congrats on a fine score and a great deal.

I echo Wood in that I am glad to hear the Oxnard plant turning out some good stuff.

Merry Christmas to you....and hurray for your wife!!! Great gift in that neon!!!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You have had a great Christmas. That is one "head turner" for sure and know it sounds just as good as it looks.

Brucebubs

Reaction score
Beautiful F-55.
I wanted one but Guild dealers in the USA can't sell guitars to Australia.
I can only buy one through a dealer here .... and they are hopeless.
Poor product knowledge, poor service and stupidly overpriced.
You guys are blessed.

Last edited: