2 GUILD Artist Awards / 2 Carlo Grecos ... Need to sell!

Reaction score
Howdy:

My good buddy and playing partner of 40+ years passed away recently and his widow has asked me to help sell off his gear, in which resides 4 high end guitars, 2 GUILD Artist Award archtops and 2 Carlo Grecos, custom made for my buddy Ernie by Carlo himself. Not alot of these on Reverb.com for sale so I can't get any comparable info to help me ascertain a realistic market price. Have they (Guilds and/or Carlo Grecos) appreciated or depreciated over the years. The Guilds are 1984 and 1987 (one is sunburst, one is blonde). I'm thinking roughly $5000 each. The Grecos are both 1998 (one is archtop jazz box, the other flat top acoustic, both 18") and I have the originally receipts for both ($7500 for the jazz box, $3500 for the acoustic). QAny opinions? I've got lots of detailed pics on all 4 if anybody wants to check them out. You can email me for more info, too. I'm in south Florida (premansite@comcast.net)

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry about your buddy, man. Best of luck with the sale.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sorry for the loss of your friend. Good luck with the sale, looks like awagner is on the hunt already!

walrus

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Some pictures would be nice. Condition is a factor in the price you may get. The trouble in selling these is that EVERYONE knows Gibson and Fender high end stuff, few know Guild's line up, so the market for potential buyers is much smaller.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Plenty of pictures...

Artist Award:
Guild%20Artist%20Award.JPG

Guild%20Artist%20Award 2.JPG

Guild%20Artist%20Award 3.JPG

Guild%20Artist%20Award 4.JPG

Guild%20Artist%20Award 6.JPG

Guild%20Artist%20Award 7.JPG

Guild%20Artist%20Award 8.JPG

Many more to follow...

Reaction score
Thanks for looking at the pictures.

What he ^^^ said. GOLLY GEE!!! :encouragement:
1st of all, THANK YOU JohnW63 for posting the pictures for me. And yes, its nice to have such beautiful instruments sitting in my den that I can just grab and play for a bit (followed by wiping the fingerprints off). A little background, I was Nat'l Sales Mgr for Gretsch Guitar & Drum Company (based in Cincinnati) in the mid 70's, so I actually hung out with Chet Atkins & Roy Clark and Mike Aldridge and Buddy Emmons, etc., etc., BEFORE I realized how freakin' awesome that was. I've been a performer for 53 years and have accumulated a number of fine guitars for my own collection, so I'm comfortable in a room full of beauties, but these 4 are pretty special. Fun to play, and admire, and the craftsmanship on the 2 Carlo Grecos is amazing. Anyway ... I thank you all for looking, and I REALLY would like to sell these for Jenny (Swanson, Ernie's widow) because he WAS her main income generator and she MAY run into financial issues down the road, and the consolidation of these musical items should help her bridge that gap when and if it arises. Ascertaining a realistic market value for these 4 has been a task, even though I have the original receipts for when he purchased many of his guitars. But as we all know, what you paid for a guitar in 1984 or 1998 doesn't necessarily give bearing to its street value TODAY. So, I asked Hans (Moust) to weigh in with his opinion (but he hasn't so far) and I'll gladly receive input for any of you fine members of the LetsTalkGuild forum.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wish I could take one off your hands, Ed, but I am sure the market value is more than I could justify. I hope you can get as much as they deserve.