Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuning keys

Tuning keys

I'm thinking I need to change out the tuners on my 79' G37 acoustic. Does anyone know of a good replacement that will fit the 70's models?

It does have the Gotoh tuners, right? For $150 a set Ken Nash has the originals. http://www.theguitarmechanic.com/GuildTuner.html
    Ralf

Thanks, that's them. It says out of stock? I wonder if he can get more?

I would check with Hans.

Sorry to play devil's advocate, but why do you feel the need to change tuners?
    "Heat lightning burnt the sky like alcohol." John Prine

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    I would check with Hans.
    Yeah even if he can't get originals he often suggests suitable replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnut View Post
    Sorry to play devil's advocate, but why do you feel the need to change tuners?
    To tell the truth I was thinking same thing but figured he just wasn't going into the reason why.
    Still, good question, in light of some of the fixes posted recently.
    Might save a good chunk of change.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

I have a bad tuner. was going to change them all.

Quote Originally Posted by ezstrummer View Post
    I have a bad tuner. was going to change them all.

Is it bad by worn metal?
    Or perhaps dried grease?

If the latter - take it off guitar - take knob off and sink the unit into WD-40 or whatever you have over there these days - after that, if you have air compressor, try to blow the gook out - repeat. Once it moves easily, let it dry and put in new grease - should be good for next decade or two.
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuska View Post
    Is it bad by worn metal?
    Or perhaps dried grease?

If the latter - take it off guitar - take knob off and sink the unit into WD-40 or whatever you have over there these days - after that, if you have air compressor, try to blow the gook out - repeat. Once it moves easily, let it dry and put in new grease - should be good for next decade or two.
    Thanks for the advise. I will try that first.

I've replaced bad tuning keys with open backs. Are they better? Don't really know for sure but adjustment is easier when needed. But really I just like the way they look.
    Doc-Living in the twilight in West Central Ohio. Red hair and black leather; my favorite color scheme.
    D25
    D15
    Peace