Tuning keys

ezstrummer

Reaction score
I'm thinking I need to change out the tuners on my 79' G37 acoustic. Does anyone know of a good replacement that will fit the 70's models?

ezstrummer

Reaction score
Thanks, that's them. It says out of stock? I wonder if he can get more?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry to play devil's advocate, but why do you feel the need to change tuners?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I would check with Hans.

Yeah even if he can't get originals he often suggests suitable replacements.

Sorry to play devil's advocate, but why do you feel the need to change tuners?
To tell the truth I was thinking same thing but figured he just wasn't going into the reason why.
Still, good question, in light of some of the fixes posted recently.
Might save a good chunk of change.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a bad tuner. was going to change them all.

Is it bad by worn metal?
Or perhaps dried grease?

If the latter - take it off guitar - take knob off and sink the unit into WD-40 or whatever you have over there these days - after that, if you have air compressor, try to blow the gook out - repeat. Once it moves easily, let it dry and put in new grease - should be good for next decade or two.

ezstrummer

Reaction score
Is it bad by worn metal?
Or perhaps dried grease?

If the latter - take it off guitar - take knob off and sink the unit into WD-40 or whatever you have over there these days - after that, if you have air compressor, try to blow the gook out - repeat. Once it moves easily, let it dry and put in new grease - should be good for next decade or two.

Thanks for the advise. I will try that first.

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I've replaced bad tuning keys with open backs. Are they better? Don't really know for sure but adjustment is easier when needed. But really I just like the way they look.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've replaced bad tuning keys with open backs. Are they better? Don't really know for sure but adjustment is easier when needed. But really I just like the way they look.

My only real reservation about open tuners is my possibly unjustified fear of damaging the gears with sand and grit, from the days I was busking on a boardwalk.
After reading several "repair" tips here over the years I'm getting the impression that high-quality open gears are probably a lot more durable than I expected.
Not sure if "adjustment" 's easier, but they are supposed to be lighter if nothing else.