Could it be?

bstime5

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum. I have recently fallen hard for Guild acoustics and have started a collection, I just cannot believe what you can get in sound for the money. I really treasure my Collection. At times I feel like Guild really didn’t know how to produce a bad sounding guitar like other well known guitar builders. I have a D25 from the Corona period and it even sounds really good.

Ok, so recently I was able to pick up a DV6 pretty cheap, and the more I play it, the more I feel like it’s the best sounding and most balanced of the bunch. Could it be? There is nothing really special about this guitar from what I see and read, but the more I play it, the more I’m drawn back to it. I haven’t figured out how to list my collection like I see on most of all your posts, but here is what I have so far for comparison: F47M, F40, JF30-12, D25, D40, D4 and DV6.

Also, has anyone else noticed that John Pearse strings sound really good on most Guilds? I have Martin, Gibson and Taylor but that same kind of special magic doesn’t happen when I string those up with JP strings. I would love to hear of any other string suggestions for what I have listed.

Peace!

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Stick around - its a fun group.

There were several DV-6 variants over the years - Westerly mahogany dreadnought, Tacoma rosewood dreadnought, Ensenada, Mexico rosewood dreadnought.

I have the Tacoma DV-6, and it was the first of my Guilds, and led me to this place, as well as a raging case of Guild Acquisition Syndrome.

Which do you have?

bstime5

Reaction score
Thanks! It is a 1996 Westerly, oddly enough it doesn’t have the herringbone around the sound hole. I also thought maybe the top was cedar because it is a darker color but I am not positive.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks! It is a 1996 Westerly, oddly enough it doesn’t have the herringbone around the sound hole. I also thought maybe the top was cedar because it is a darker color but I am not positive.

Welcome and Guilds are addictive:)
You can add your guitar list in the signature area in your profile settings I believe. :) someone will correct me if I’m wrong :)

Oh we also love pics ! But you have host them at a hosting site like imgar or photobucket or other then use the bbcode to post here just select the mountain picture icon in the top right of the reply window it will open a applet for you post the photo link . You will have to be in full site mode on mobile or Mr PC :)

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I for one, am a big fan of the DV 6. I have one in the gorgeous Guild Burst finish with factory installed electronics. really nice guitar. But, I also have a D 48 which I absolutely love so will likely be letting the DV 6 go sometime in the Spring when the weather warms up a bit. Congrats on your guitar!!!!!!!

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
I have a set of Pearse strings on mine now. They sounded terrible at first - shrill and ice-picky. After a few days they mellowed out, and it sounds fine now.

Coated strings by Elixir and ESP sound good right from Jump Street and, true to their promise, last a long time.

And you can never go wrong with a set of good old D'Addarios.

bstime5

Reaction score
4437ew

bstime5

Reaction score
Took a bit making a Flickr account. Let me know if the picture is visible.
But wow, that DV6 sound in a sunburst must be something else, it almost sounds better in a burst.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG!!
I have never put John Pearse strings on any of the Guilds I have owned.. truthfully I haven’t used them in years.. no reason..

I have used SIT coated PB, D’addario ej16’s and just recently put a set of Martin Lifespans on my Guild D-35.. digging the way they sound... may have to take a look at JP again...

bstime5

Reaction score
12i4fL

Thanks to all! Glad to be a part of this forum, I have learned most of what I know about Guild by reading thru many of these posts! Trying to post a picture, admin keeps holding up my posts for review because I’m a newbie I suppose.

JT339

Reaction score
Nice collection, I would say that's a lot of Guilds but there's never enough.

I agree, My D-55 absolutely loves JP strings and I've tested it so many damn times only to keep coming back to them. They don't last very long for me but I don't care as I love having fresh strings and a clean guitar so I'm happy to re-string and re-polish everything. Works out great since the D-55 is what I lean towards when I'm wanting to get around the fretboard. JP's are great for that, bend easier than any other acoustic strings I've tried.

The F50R and F-512 seem to sound best with D'addario EXP's, go figure. Tested it over and over just like with different brands just like the D-55. Done fighting it, gotta give the guitars what they want. Also works out great since those are my go-to's for drowning out everyone else I'm playing with. Gotta flex your muscle from time to time.

Last edited:

bstime5

Reaction score
JT339, that’s interesting to know that they also pair well with Guild rosewood guitars, I don’t have one right at the moment, but I plan on picking one up soon. Just means I can add more to my JP string order and keep it simple. Like you said, I do wish they lasted longer, but they just have a certain jangle and bark that no other strings give me. I have noticed that washing my hands before I string them up and or play helps prolong the life a little. I do like the D’addarios on my JF30-12 and I enjoy them on them on both spruce/mahogany and spruce/maple guitars but they always remind me that the guitar could sound a little better. On the maple guitars they are a bit shrill at first but settle right in after a few days. I haven’t tried everything but I know that there has to be certain guitar and string combos that just pair well, I will give them a shot if suggested... so please keep em’ coming! I do love a fresh polish, oil and strings as well. Thx!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey gang: I'm new here, too. I had played a Martin Shenahdoah HD-28 for 30+ years, but in October it was stolen after a gig. I wanted to find a replacement with solid rosewood back and sides, but didn't have the $$ for a D-28. I purchased a used Guild D-150ce, and I'm stoked about it! Hence, my arrival at this forum. Regarding strings, I've been a D'Addario guy for years. For my D-150ce, I found that moving from light to medium strings (EJ17's) really made this guitar sing. I haven't tried the JP strings, but I plan to after reading this thread.

Next week I'm going to check out a 1976 D-50 I found on Craigslist...will be interesting to hear it in comparison to my Chinese-made D150ce.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ok, so recently I was able to pick up a DV6 pretty cheap, and the more I play it, the more I feel like it’s the best sounding and most balanced of the bunch. Could it be? There is nothing really special about this guitar from what I see and read, but the more I play it, the more I’m drawn back to it.
Welcome aboard, bstime!!
Yes, it could be , and here's why (quoting myself from the link GJMalcyon posted above):

" 'The Dv6 has a solid mahogany back and sides which have been sanded down.
The Mahogany neck and end blocks blocks have been specially selected for light weight and superior strength.
The top is double-A graded sitka spruce and has shaved braces..'.
I don't know if D40's had all that before they went on hiatus (I suspect they always got AA tops and shaved braces), but I can tell you the 2001 price list shows the D40 again, with AA top and shaved braces."
I still think the DV-6 was an attempt to re-invent the D40, "on steroids", but for whatever reason they brought the D40 name back and it had those DV-6 details when reinstated.

Yes in fact there were some DV-6's built with cedar tops, that always stuck with ne because it was so unusual.
We've seen only 2 or 3 here that I can recall in 10 years<
I THINK however, that they were identified as such on the label: "DV-6 HG-Cedar", ("HG= High Gloss")
Ahh, here we go, pics are long gone but labelling confirmed here:
http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showth...Cedar-top-669-BIN-35-shipping&highlight=cedar
There is also the possibility that even though it did get a cedar top the label -writer missed noting it.
Suspect Hans could tell for sure.
Alternatively, if it's an "HG" model, Guild's NCL ambers up nicely over the years.
For example, due to tons of sunlight exposure, the top on my ('96) D25's so dark now you'd think it was originally an "Amber" finish.
Looks like you're hip to the vetting process for pots and will be about pics soon enough, too.
Direct links like you put up in #13 are good enough if you're "site-hosting" challenged.

Oh, PS:
IF your D25 is a '00 as you show, it's gotta be a Westerly, will have an arched back and say so on label.
There was a very short-lived flat-backed DV-25 out of Westerly very late in the game as well (99?), but had spruce top.
Corona D25's reverted to the original '68 D25 all-hog flat-back formula, and say Corona on the label, first model year '02.
Westerly stopped new builds in late summer, and finally closed, at end of '01.
And just for laughs, '87 JF30-12's originally came with silk and steel strings.
:shocked:
At least, that's what my best buddy's '87 came with, and he's original owner.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to the forum! Nice collection of Guilds there. First posts are monitored so they take a bit to show up. Photos must be hosted somewhere else (Image Shack, etc.) and then the direct link (a .jpg file) can be inserted using the Insert Image icon. No photos are hosted directly here on the forum.

The signature listing is accessed using the Settings link at the top of each page. Then it becomes part of all your posts. :encouragement:

bobouz

Reaction score
Lovely group of guitars!

Certainly related in chronology, I'm very impressed with the near-mint '94 D6nt-hg I lucked onto. It preceded the release of the DV-6, and is very reminiscent of a '70s D-40 I had back in the day.

Guilds from the '70s are my favorites, followed closely by those built in the '90s. Gotta love the Westerly era!